DropIt

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
Firewrath

Re: DropIt

#421 Post by Firewrath »

well i dont want to sound like an ass,...
ok, i do, but im not doing it to be mean, :P
*ahem*

if i wanted to use a .bat file for moving files i wouldnt use dropit, ;)

there, :P

Anyways,
i dont mind the 'Open With' option,
im just wary of feature bloat with programs, cause it always kind of starts 'well this would be nice to have, ...and this, ...and that, ...and these ...and those other there, ...and them too while im here, ...and ohhh, Shiiiny, lets add it too, /etc' :P

And it does have a Portable use,
say you had dropit open but not a program launcher and you wanted to open a doc file, you drag it to Dropit, and, Poof, it opens that file with your portable doc reader, so thats rather handy,

as for the move+open for the default installed apps, yeah, its not hard to double click the file,
but when the file is in 'X:/files/personal/MyDocs/Pdfs' after i move it, the move+open becomes a Lot more appealing, but eh, i just thought it sounded like i logical step with the code, ^-^;
(And Yes, i know you can open it first then move it when youre done with the file, :P ...but this way i dont forget to, ;))

but like with a global open after sorting, well, ...you might want to limit that to only if One file is moved, :P
(Probably best to do that not matter how you implement it, ...and no 'Do you want to open this file' popup after you move a file, that might get annoying, or at least have an 'always yes' and 'always no' option with the setting,)
and personally id setup a 2nd 'sendto' shortcut, so one would only move my files and the other would move+open, so im fine with a global option,

*hrm*
if 'open with' works like the sorting patterns,
you could do it like so:
move file, check to see if file extension has an 'open with' association,
if Yes, open with associated program,
if No open with system default,

i mean that should be a simple 'if/then' check,

eitherway, it was all just something i thought sounded handy, ^-^;

as for this:
guinness wrote: ...and not a standard Installation Program?
Huh, i never noticed the similarities till you said that,
...though its missing an automated option/wizard, so i think we're safe from it being an install program, (for now, ;))
still neat how similar the two ideas are though,
(and odd that i dont really mind, O_o<(hmm) *shugs*)

Edit: Also an interesting note, This thread has beat the original JPE thread, which i think untill now was the longest on the forums with 'Page 1 of 18 [ 266 posts ]' while as of this edit DropIt is 'Page 1 of 29 [ 421 posts ]'
...just found that interesting, ^-^;

guinness

#422 Post by guinness »

...though its missing an automated option/wizard, so i think we're safe from it being an install program, (for now, )
There is an installer available created with Inno Setup (.iss) for those who prefer not to use Portable Applications.
if i wanted to use a .bat file for moving files i wouldnt use dropit,
I would be interested to see that :) I have forgotten quite a bit about Batch Files!

Edit: Maybe I am missing the point, but if you have all .doc files to Open once moved wouldn't this get annoying? Especially when a PopUp Box is there telling/asking you "You want to Open this one? This one?"

Firewrath

#423 Post by Firewrath »

Firewrath wrote: but like with a global open after sorting, well, ...you might want to limit that to only if One file is moved, :P
(Probably best to do that not matter how you implement it, ...and no 'Do you want to open this file' popup after you move a file, that might get annoying, or at least have an 'always yes' and 'always no' option with the setting,)
you mean like i say right there? ;)
IE: only allow move+open when moving ONE file, and no popup asking 'Do you want to open this file?' Unless you can tell it 'always yes' or 'always no',

...yeah, i know, my post was long, sorry, this one should be better cause im running late, ;)

guinness

#424 Post by guinness »

OK. I tried to get the most important points out of your post and completely skipped this section, sorry.

Lupo73

#425 Post by Lupo73 »

In these days we are adding some global options connected to the new actions under development and a beta version will be available soon.
Two of these options are safety file deletion (using a function to wipe files) and integrity file checking after sorting (using MD5 algorithm).
The first feature is still under development, instead the second one is ready and I'd like to know your opinion about it: actually the idea is to make by default a checking of 10% of each sorted file and allow from Options to enable the full file checking.
The checking needs a little more time (about 15 seconds to check 1GB, variable depending on hardware performance). With the actual configuration if you move 1GB of file and the feature is disabled, only 10% of each file is checked and so about 100MB (more or less 2 additional seconds for the process).
My question is if you like this more secure solution (off=10%, on=100%) or if you prefer a fully on/off feature (and so off=no checking at all).

Hydaral

#426 Post by Hydaral »

Lupo73 wrote:
Hydaral wrote:Any idea when Dropit will be able to use network / UNC paths? I'd like to use it to sort files for storage on my server.
We are discussing it in these days.. could you report us what may be the features supported? we may need also an online space to make tests, could someone help us?
I just need it to be able to use UNC paths, I don't use mapped drives on my system so I'd like to be able to set a CIFS share on my server as a destination: \\careless\Data\Documents

guinness

#427 Post by guinness »

OK, maybe a work around in AutoIt would be the following (and this is thinking logically)...
1. Select Network Share.
2. Find available Drive Letters.
3. Map Network Share to an available Drive Letter.
4. Once complete Un-Map Network Share.

This wouldn't make it fully Portable anymore as it would write more details to the Registry than before. But I don't use UNC Paths anymore so it would be a little hard to test.

-.-

#428 Post by -.- »

is it possible to have the progress window show but have it skip the warning asking if we want to move large files?
Since I'm sending it to dropit, I'm fairly sure I want to move it and not be asked :S

Lupo73

#429 Post by Lupo73 »

Not complex, it will be added in next release ;)

tproli

#430 Post by tproli »

Just a quick idea: if DropIt could check if eg. ctrl is held when dropping files into it then an alternative action could be activated.

An alternative action could be for example:
- displaying a popup menu to choose the desired profile to use temporarily
- copying paths to clipboard
- delete to recycle bin
- etc

Lupo73

#431 Post by Lupo73 »

It is a good idea.. we already considered hotkeys support, but removed it from the ToDo list because finally not very useful if connected to pattern associations.
Now we could consider to restore it with this idea of global hotkeys associated to special actions. I'd like to know other opinions and more examples of actions you would like to have in DropIt, before start to work on it..
is it possible to have the progress window show but have it skip the warning asking if we want to move large files?
Option added.. I'm considering to post a first beta release to allow you to test new features.. you will love it! :mrgreen:

Lupo73

#432 Post by Lupo73 »

This is the link to download DropIt v2.0 beta:
http://www.lupopensuite.com/files/dropi ... rtable.zip

It is the first beta version of this new major release. It may contains issues, so use it only for tests. It includes many important improvements, so tests and opinions are welcome! :wink:

Changes:
- improved Move action performance
- improved software interface
- added Extract and Delete actions
- added master password for Profiles folder encryption
- added several environment variables (read the Help)
- added support to disable alert for large processed files
- fixed minor bugs

Language changes (if you want to start with translations.. otherwise I'll send an email to translators mailing list when language changes will be completed for the release)

Lupo73

#433 Post by Lupo73 »

A second beta release is available:
http://www.lupopensuite.com/files/dropi ... rtable.zip

It includes some bug fixes and an improved message in case of pattern ambiguity (now named "Select Action")..this is a screenshot of this updated message:
http://img818.imageshack.us/i/newcxk.png/

Updated language changes..

tproli

#434 Post by tproli »

Thanks.

Here's the Hungarian lng file:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17407690/DropIt ... _v2.0a.lng

guinness

#435 Post by guinness »

Has anyone managed to test DropIt on a "Multiple Monitor" setup? Because I added code a while back and don't know if it worked.