AutoClipX

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
atomizer

AutoClipX

#1 Post by atomizer »

ok, here's another one i'd like you fine folks to kick the tires on before i submit it...

AutoClipX: auto-copy selected text in any application, paste with the middle mouse button

* Portable – no installation required
* Intuitive, super easy to use
* Option to start with Windows
* Easily enable/disable with a hotkey or by clicking the tray icon. The icon changes according to the status.
* Optional display of tool tips to let you know when something is copied or the clipboard is cleared
* Option to use your middle mouse button to paste
* Delay adjustments for various options

here's the details and link

webfork

Re: AutoClipX

#2 Post by webfork »

Testing now as I have an immediate need for something like this. So far looks pretty good, although I couldn't get it to accept unchecking "start with windows".
atomizer wrote:AutoClipX: auto-copy selected text in any application, paste with the middle mouse button

atomizer

#3 Post by atomizer »

thanks for that! - will have a look and release bugfix today

the work-a-round should be to set 'WinStart=0' in cfg and delete the startup shortcut if exist

atomizer

#4 Post by atomizer »

fixed
actually i fixed this before, but apparently i broke it again :roll:
thanks for the bug report!

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

atomizer wrote:fixed
actually i fixed this before, but apparently i broke it again :roll:
thanks for the bug report!
I didn't realize you were the developer on this one. Thanks both for creating and posting.

I kept having problems over the last few hours with middle-click pasting. It keeps wanting to do that "scan" element that you can move the mouse in any direction and it will scroll, good for scrolling horizontally. I don't know how to turn that off as there's no capability inside WinXP mouse config.

Instead, I disabled middle click and reduced the time to auto-copy, then used ctrl+v so it acts more like mIRC's autocopy feature.

atomizer

#6 Post by atomizer »

webfork wrote:I kept having problems over the last few hours with middle-click pasting. It keeps wanting to do that "scan" element that you can move the mouse in any direction and it will scroll [...]
is it only in certain applications?

for instance, in Firefox > settings > advanced > general tab, there's an option to enable/disable auto-scrolling, so i'm thinking maybe this is application specific unless you have an option in your mouse driver that maybe you didn't see

i had been thinking of adding the ability to configure more buttons (like buttons 4 and 5) anyway, so i think i'll do that for sure now

thanks for trying it and reporting back! feedback is invaluable!

atomizer

#7 Post by atomizer »

0.4 released

Code: Select all

0.4 – 17-FEB-2011
[+] added support for mouse buttons 4 and 5 – no longer restricted to button 3 (middle)
[+] added ability to use separate mouse buttons for pasting and clearing the clipboard
[x] fixed bug regarding hotkeys
[x] misc small bug fixes
[/] changed edit input for configuring a hotkey to a combo list
[/] removed restriction where a modifier key had to be selected to use a hotkey
[/] misc code optimizations
[/] updated ReadMe.txt (this file)
there were many little "quirks" with 0.3, so please update

please post any issues, requests, etc. if all is good, this will become 1.0 and i will submit

guinness

#8 Post by guinness »

Looks as though its coming along nicely. I have no feature requests. Sorry I can't help!

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

Thanks for the multiple button support feature add. I wasn't able to test it with my current mouse, but I think its a great idea.
atomizer wrote:
webfork wrote:I kept having problems over the last few hours with middle-click pasting. It keeps wanting to do that "scan" element that you can move the mouse in any direction and it will scroll [...]
is it only in certain applications?
Yeah the two primary programs I'm using right now are Firefox and Excel, which both have it. Thanks for the FFox instructions, I'll see about Excel...

Feature request:
  • A temporary disable capability. For example, if I'm grabbing text to copy, and then I select an area to paste into, often times the program will grab what I was trying to paste over. I realize of course I could just click the end, hold shift, and press the "Home" key, but that's not really in the spirit of the program: speeding up something you do hundreds of times a day.

What I recommend is the capability to hold CTRL or SHIFT or something similar while selecting text and not have it auto-add to the clipboard. Currently what you're using is a delay, but for whatever reason I've found that hard to manage.

atomizer

#10 Post by atomizer »

hi webfork
make sure you have the latest version - 0.4 - i made some significant changes

the enable/disable feature is already available - by default i think it's set to CTRL+SHIFT+F1, but you can change to pretty much anything you want (R-click tray icon). you can also L-click the tray icon to enable/disable. (tray icon will change according to status). of course AutoClipX will remain disabled until you press the same hotkey(s) again

i like your idea regarding a press and hold hotkey to disable while the key is down. i will implement that in the next version

edit: have a look at this

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

atomizer wrote:edit: have a look at this
Wow. My mouse clearly has too few buttons.

I am Baas

#12 Post by I am Baas »

X-Mouse Button Control already in TPFC... http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1759

webfork

#13 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:X-Mouse Button Control already in TPFC... http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1759
Thanks Baas -- I just updated the entry description based on my work with the program.

atomizer

#14 Post by atomizer »

0.5 released
from the changelog...

Code: Select all

0.5 - 25-FEB-2011
    [+] add ability to set a hotkey to temporarily disable AutoClipX only while
the key is pressed
    [+] added option to disable new copying until after a paste or clear
    [+] added a blacklist which can contain multiple window titles. for any
titles matched, automatic copying will be disabled. can also choose how to
match titles (partial or exact) and easily disable matching all together
    [/] several other small changes/fixes
@webfork - this should offer more options with a limited number of buttons - see # 2 & 3