DropIt

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
guinness

Re: DropIt

#361 Post by guinness »

Little confused by their review too? They say the Con of DropIt is "Something lacking in options"... but overall it has a positive response. So it seems a little silly that if the File doesn't pass all 27 Virus Checkers then it must be dangerous!

Edit: I soon realised that they reviewed DropIt before V1.0, because the Screenshots are old! :D

-.-

#362 Post by -.- »

I recently switched to win7 and I've noticed dropit seems to hang a bit before doing anything, between 30-60 seconds. It's mostly on large files, 1-4gb zip files so I'm not sure if the file size is the problem or not, seemed like I didn't have problem on winxp though.

I know there was a hang problem before so I'm bringing it up since I'm not sure if it was fixed.

Lupo73

#363 Post by Lupo73 »

-.- wrote:I recently switched to win7 and I've noticed dropit seems to hang a bit before doing anything, between 30-60 seconds.
It is a little strange, I use win7 on my computer and I don't have problems like this..

I have restarted to work on DropIt in these days.. I decided to wait with the version 2.0 (with plugin system) and I'm working on version 1.6 that includes a single but powerful new feature: open dropped files with defined programs!
It is simple but is a very important improvement, because add to DropIt a feature similar to CAFE... it is still under development, but you can help me to test it downloading this beta release:
http://www.lupopensuite.com/files/dropi ... rtable.zip
http://www.lupopensuite.com/files/dropi ... Source.zip

You can use it in two ways:
>> without parameters, simply writing a program path as Destination Program
>> with parameters, writing as Destination Program for example: C:\program.exe %file% parameter
DropIt will automatically replace %file% with the dropped file path and will send it to the program with that parameter.

I hope you like it :wink:

-.-

#364 Post by -.- »

just tried that version in your link, 1.6. It still hangs for about 1 minute before doing anything to move a 1.6gb file.
I'm not sure if it is reading the file before moving or what but I see it in process hacker for about a minute and file is in original place. After the hang, both the process ends and the file is in new place.

Lupo73

#365 Post by Lupo73 »

-.- wrote:just tried that version in your link, 1.6. It still hangs for about 1 minute before doing anything to move a 1.6gb file.
I'm not sure if it is reading the file before moving or what but I see it in process hacker for about a minute and file is in original place. After the hang, both the process ends and the file is in new place.
Can you verify if the problem afflicts also version 1.1.1 or not? Because the cause could be the new library used for copy..

If possible, make few tests also of Open With feature to verify if works fine..thanks..

guinness

#366 Post by guinness »

Just ADDED images to the Context Menu's so you can visually see the Profile Name and Profile Image. I have also FIXED a problem associated with Multiple Monitors, which Lupo73 said has been reported by many users. It will need testing to confirm, but I am sure Lupo73 will post another release soon. :)

Lupo73

#367 Post by Lupo73 »

Yes! Thanks to guinness, now some issues are fixed and a new beta release is ready for you:
http://www.lupopensuite.com/files/dropi ... rtable.zip
http://www.lupopensuite.com/files/dropi ... Source.zip

Changes since version 1.5:
- added feature to open files with defined programs
- added profile icons to context menu items
- added support to create associations with the same pattern
- fixed minor bugs

Note that in previous beta the Open With support had some problems.. now it may works fine..

Code: Select all

## CHANGES IN LANGUAGE FILE FROM V1.5 TO V1.6 ##

ADDED:
MANAGE_DESTINATION_PROGRAM_SELECT=Select a destination program:
MANAGE_DESTINATION_PROGRAM=Destination Program
MANAGE_EDIT_MSGBOX_10=Executable
MANAGE_EDIT_MSGBOX_11=You cannot create a pattern for folders with this transfer mode.
OPEN_WITH=Open With
POSITIONPROCESS_LOG_7=Opened With

MODIFIED:
MANAGE_EDIT_MSGBOX_0=Destination Error
MANAGE_EDIT_MSGBOX_1=You must specify a valid destination.
MANAGE_EDIT_TIP_2=As destination are supported both absolute and relative paths.

-.-

#368 Post by -.- »

yep the hang happens in 1.1.1 as well as the new 1.6. The first post about the hang was from the 1.1 version but since I saw you post a 1.6 after my post, I thought I was a few versions out so I upgraded to 1.6 and still hangs.

What do you mean do it with "open with"? I'm not too sure how to do this. I've got the lag to happen when I open the dropit application then drag file over icon as well as when I did it via shortcut in sendto menu.

I'm not sure if its because it's windows 7 making it lag or if its a program. Since it didn't lag in winxp so I'm not sure what changed in win7. Well I did go from x86 to x64 so that might be part of problem

edit: I just saw this window so it might help. I'm getting estimated long processing time window saying You are trying to process a large size of files (4.37 GB) It may take long time, do you wish to continue?

This is new but it might have been suppressed before and just taking a long processing time. So it might not be hanging :S

guinness

#369 Post by guinness »

I tested a 1GB ZIP File in XP SP3 without a problem and in Windows 7 x64 without any affect. Little curious to what is happening with your machine -.- :S

tproli

#370 Post by tproli »

Many thanks for the new version! I like the new Open with feature a lot.

The profile menu with the icons looks weird to me (at least a little space between the icon and the text would help).

I might found a bug also:
when specifying a relative path to the destination program, DropIt gives an error that I have to specify a valid path. However, I'm sure I added a valid path (namely "..\CopyWriter\CopyWriter.exe"), and it works if I edit the profile.ini manually.

And here's the updated Hungarian language file:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17407690/DropIt ... n_v1.6.lng

guinness

#371 Post by guinness »

The Images looks fine to me but all that would have to be done in the Source is change __GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage($gImageFile, $gIndex, $gHandle = 0, $gType = 1, $gWidth = 20, $gHeight = 20) to __GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage($gImageFile, $gIndex, $gHandle = 0, $gType = 1, $gWidth = 25, $gHeight = 25) to make bigger.

tproli what do you think would be better 20px or 25px?
Last edited by guinness on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lupo73

#372 Post by Lupo73 »

-.- wrote:What do you mean do it with "open with"? I'm not too sure how to do this. I've got the lag to happen when I open the dropit application then drag file over icon as well as when I did it via shortcut in sendto menu.
Open With feature allows to send files to defined programs and supports also parameters. It is still under improvement, but anyway these are examples of possible uses:
>> as rule *.zip;*.rar;*.7z and Universal Extractor or 7-Zip as Destination Program (to extract archives dropped on DropIt)
>> as rule *.txt;*.ini;*.au3 and a notepad application as Destination Program (to open textual files with your portable editor)
tproli wrote:when specifying a relative path to the destination program, DropIt gives an error that I have to specify a valid path. However, I'm sure I added a valid path (namely "..\CopyWriter\CopyWriter.exe"), and it works if I edit the profile.ini manually.
I'm going to check it..

guinness

#373 Post by guinness »

I might found a bug also:
when specifying a relative path to the destination program, DropIt gives an error that I have to specify a valid path. However, I'm sure I added a valid path (namely "..\CopyWriter\CopyWriter.exe"), and it works if I edit the profile.ini manually.
FIXED it!

tproli

#374 Post by tproli »

For me even the current img (20x20px?) is too big but it's only my liking. What bothers me is that the text is right after the image and the "Customize" at the top is way too the right. Anyway, it's only a cosmetic issue, it's OK to me as it is now.

guinness

#375 Post by guinness »

Weird because in Windows 7 the Radio isn't there, thats why its weird. Let me edit the Code and resend to Lupo73, sorry about that my mistake!

Update: I remember now this is a problem with Windows XP (5.1 below) so it it will be disabled in DropIt for Windows XP and below sorry. But when you consider XP is 10 years old in October it's obvious a lot has changed since then and SP don't add a great deal only fixes!
Last edited by guinness on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.