PortaSoft Apps

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
justin

PortaSoft Apps

#1 Post by justin »

All of the apps at http://www.portasoft [this is a bad link] .org are portable. Some of these include MiniUp (a small app that backs up your pendrive to .7z format), RegRapper (a utility that can make a non-portable app portable by taking its registry entries on shutdown and putting them into a file then restoring them on open), PortableNSIS (a portable version of the NSIS programming language), PortableGmailNotifier (the Google Gmail Notifier made portable), PortablePsi (a Jabber client made portable), and others.

Crash

RegRapper

#2 Post by Crash »

The application RegRapper that justin mentioned seems interesting. Has anyone had experience with this program, tested it with various applications, found any limitations?

http://www.portasoft.org/e107/download.php?view.4

Feedback please.

justin

Works great

#3 Post by justin »

I have used it several times as a member of that site, and it works great. This could be used to make any app that is only non-portable because of registry entries portable. :D

stumpii

#4 Post by stumpii »

How easy is it to setup and use? There seems to be very little detail on its use/limitations on the site. I decided not to spend the time trying it because of that.

justin

kinda self-explanatory

#5 Post by justin »

From the included readme:
----- Setup instructions: -----

1. Create the following folder structure:

- TOP FOLDER (Any Name)
- APPLICATION (HOLDS APP FILES, ANY NAME YOU WANT)
- SETTINGS (HOLDS ALL SETTINGS, MUST BE NAMED SETTINGS)

2. Place the application files within the "APPLICATION" FOLDER.

3. Copy the RegRap.exe to the TOP FOLDER.

4. Copy RegRap.ini to the "SETTINGS" folder

5. In the RegRap.ini file, fill in this information:

[DIRSETTINGS]
PROGRAMDIRECTORY=(The "APPLICATION" Folders name

[PROGSETTINGS]
DEVNAME=(Fill in the Developers name or the company name of the creator or the program, usually can be found
on the copywrite line in the program's about box)
APPNAME=(Fill in the App name as it appears in the programs about box)
EXECUTABLE=(Fill in the progam executable name that is in the "APPLICATION" Folder, *** MINUS THE .EXE ***)

-- If you have settings.reg file created already, fill in the following:

[REGSETTINGS]
REGFILE=(Place Settings.reg filename here)

-- Otherwise, the program will fill it in on first shutdown, if registry settings were found.

Save and close the file.

6. The program should run without a problem. If you monitor the registry you will see the reg settings added
on startup and deleted on shutdown. Also, if the program uses the USEREPROFILE Variable,
the data will be saved in the "SETTINGS" folder.

stumpii

#6 Post by stumpii »

Thank you. I assume that you run the RegRap.exe file instead of the usual program file? How does it cope with command line arguments?

Hmm, me think I should really post on their site!

justin

no

#7 Post by justin »

You're quite welcome! :D

Actually, you run the program for the first time using its own exe, then click on RegRap.exe to import the registry entries (after filling out the INI first of course) and then run the program with its exe every other time.

About the parameters, I don't think that it supports them, as it doesn't actually launch a program. You would have to use a laucher such as the ones we make in NSIS, those can pass parameters.

justin

well?

#8 Post by justin »

Will they be in the next index update??? :?: