VMware player

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
JackL

VMware player

#1 Post by JackL »

Hi!
Is it realy possible to create vmware player in portable version?
Imagine the possibillities...!!!!

...or maybe other vm...

JackL

#2 Post by JackL »

It is not very polite to answer myself, however due to not-so-huge-feedback-as-expected I am force to do it anyway.
I found similar topic on winpenpack forum - unfortunately in Italian:
Is it possible for somebody who know this beautifull language to drop a line with brief summary?
thanks in advance!

http://www.winpenpack.com/main/forum/in ... 1161010662

http://www.winpenpack.com/main/forum/in ... 1160682589

Alexander

#3 Post by Alexander »

You can try to use Google translate to get an idea about that topic.

About VMWare player: I'm afraid that typical USB 2.0 flash drive performance will make a pain working with virtual PC.

bugmenot

Here you go

#4 Post by bugmenot »

http://www.mojopac.com/
It's basically VMware, however this software is not free.

http://www.moka5.com/
This one is free, however does not look as good as MojoPac, which can run Windows applications. This one is like QEMU, in that it runs VMware in a window and only runs Linux and other stuff.

JackL

#5 Post by JackL »

Hi,
As moka5 is still veeeery beta (have't managed to install it ), I wonder if there is quemu portable version (seems VMware player to be too complexive)

Andrew Lee

#6 Post by Andrew Lee »

Have you tried Qemu Manager?

Ottur

Re: VMware player

#7 Post by Ottur »

JackL wrote:Hi!
Is it realy possible to create vmware player in portable version?
Imagine the possibillities...!!!!

...or maybe other vm...

I haven't heard of a portable VMWare Player modification. QEmu is probably your best choice for portable OS emulation, as it requires no Administrative privileges to use right out of the box.

If you plan to use Windows 2000 or Windows XP off of your USB drive, I would suggest slimming it down using nLite (nLiteOS.com) and apply a mountain of tweaks to enhance performance (TweakUI, XPY, minlogon, etc). Otherwise your initial image will be very large and sluggish.

I personally use QEmu and an nLite'd Windows XP on my USB drive and it works very smoothly. I trimmed Windows XP down to 70 megabytes (runs TrueCrypt, Opera browser, normal OS whatnots) and it boots up in about 25 seconds on an average machine.

cmmehl

#8 Post by cmmehl »

I have had a look at moka5 (which is free and based on the vmware player) as well as mojopac (commercial), both of them require admin rights to be run.

For me this disqualifies them to be truly portable - sure, one may have some comfort to run progs without install from a familiar environment, for those who need that. But a really portable program must be able to run on a resticted account as well, and the advantage of a virtual OS - for me at least! - would be to be able to overcome the restrictions of a non-admin account. It should therefore be able to run in a restricted environment, too.

Is that the case with the portable qemu?

Cheers
Chris

Ottur

#9 Post by Ottur »

cmmehl wrote:I have had a look at moka5 (which is free and based on the vmware player) as well as mojopac (commercial), both of them require admin rights to be run.

For me this disqualifies them to be truly portable - sure, one may have some comfort to run progs without install from a familiar environment, for those who need that. But a really portable program must be able to run on a resticted account as well, and the advantage of a virtual OS - for me at least! - would be to be able to overcome the restrictions of a non-admin account. It should therefore be able to run in a restricted environment, too.

Is that the case with the portable qemu?

Cheers
Chris

Yes, you can run QEmu in a restricted environment. I have personally run my QEmu on a Guest account before. In this way I can have access to my TrueCrypt volumes and browse the web from inside my virtual OS.

I have not tested QEmu from a sub-Guest account before, but from what I have heard and read QEmu should run in most computing situations.

usdcs

#10 Post by usdcs »

I'm running Embedded Damn Small Linux in QEMU on a limited account in Windows XP.

dot

#11 Post by dot »

Hi JackL,

agree, Italian is beautiful. I've tried repeatedly to learn it (with a bit of success). Your two links provided don't point to any discussion, so couldn't even try to translate (might be overtaxed, anyway). But I checked the site a bit and discovered a portable unlocker tool. I've opened a separate topic about it.

Just wanted to say thanks for pointing to that forum. Can use it to test my "Italian". Maybe I can find still some more portable stuff there.

JackL

#12 Post by JackL »

Hi dot,
I'm glad to attract somebody's attention to winpenpack site. I think it would be double proffit to join both site's testers of soft.
I'm not sure how good non-portableapps-converter works now but it seems wpp team work on something similar...

as for quemu soft - I had always troubles with making it work - is there any preconfigured ie zip file with dsl or puppy? thanks for any help!

dot

#13 Post by dot »

JackL, I'll get back to you if I find something there about the tools they might be working on. It's just not easy for me to understand longer texts. Short descriptions (and with a dictionary) usually are alright. Thanks again for mentioning that fine site here.

JackL

#14 Post by JackL »

Hi Dot
I visit the site frequently basing on my french knowledge (~ medium level :]) with more interesting tasks I ussually tri google translator which I found very usefull. However most of time I just use "the force" (read: intuition :] ) and with a little help of eng leyer of this site, goggle translator and my french, I manage to surf there...

dot

#15 Post by dot »

It's true, French helps a lot. Without the French I learned, I'd not understand much there. Also those many latinate words of the English vocabulary help a lot understanding much of the Italian stuff. Cheers!