SecurStick

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
joby_toss

SecurStick

#1 Post by joby_toss »

SecurStick allows you to encrypt and decrypt USB flash data without the need for administrator rights (no drivers needed).

It works on Windows (x86 and x64), Mac and Linux (x86), the same data can be used (encrypt - decrypt) on either of these OS's and it doesn't require installation.
It uses WebDav.

Website is in German, but a link to an English Google translated page is provided at the begining.

Debate needed! :)

guinness

Re: SecurStick

#2 Post by guinness »

Different! I will have to test a bit more.

guinness

#3 Post by guinness »

OK, so I have played around seems all configurations and files are stored in a protected hidden folder (folder properties >> untick hide operating system files) called encrdata

At the moment I couldn't change my password or edit any options, for example enable encrypting/decrypting the filenames.
All file contents appear to be encrypted and if you select encrypt filenames these are AES-256 encrypted too.

Didn't test for Stealth! But it used my default browser and registers/unregisters a B: drive using net.exe

I don't know how fast it would be if I encrypted programs? - No difference

Edit: It creates Registry Keys (not the program) but these are IE and Mounting a WebDav drive. I like it because its an unusual way of encrypting files.

cmmehl

#4 Post by cmmehl »

I'd like to bump up this thread and plead for adding this fine program to the collection.

I just discovered it recently and think it's one of the best inventions since sliced bread!

How long have we been searching for a truly portable encryption program that is volume based! How many negative answers given to desperate fans of portability hoping to use Truecrypt on their USB-devices without administrative privileges!

And here we have it and nobody seems to care ...

Well, might be because of the German website and its google-translation, which is not really understandable.

So yes - this is truly portable and works on all Windows-versions without administrative privileges. I have tested XP and Win7. Before Win7, there might be difficulties to mount the encrypted volume if 127.0.0.1:80 is already occupied (this can happen with older versions of Teamviewer where this behaviour can't be prevented), under Win7 this is not an issue.

For the purists in this forum who refuse portability to a .net program: net is only used for the step of mounting the network-share - this may well be done by hand (by mounting as network-share http://127.0.0.1/X), so the presence of .net is a convenience, but not conditio sine qua non. I admit, though, that I couldn't test this procedure on a computer without .net, as I have none.

As guiness mentioned in his post - registry entries are written due to the mounting of a network-share - so the program may not be stealth, but certainly is portable.

Some may argue that encrypted files could be deleted within the hidden folder (which represents the volume) - of course, this would not be possible with Truecrypt. But how would one prevent the deletion of the entire Truecrypt encrypted volume, which is just a file on the stick, too?

Speed may be an issue - I haven't extensively tested running programs from the encrypted volume yet. But hey - at least it ** is ** possible to run programs from there, being the answer to the prayers of those many users who complained bitterly about their portable email-clients, diaries or similar without any possibility of password protection!

Ok, I'll end my enthusiastic sunday-sermon here, calling for many others who are more expert than me to test it and to judge whether this perl deserves the rank of portability, as I believe. I am ready to help with ad-hoc explanation and/or translation when there is a need.

Have a nice rest-weekend!
Chris

-.-

#5 Post by -.- »

hm... couldn't get it to work :S
I got this in the log
[13:07:14 28.11.2010] Starting WebDAV Server on 127.0.0.1:80
[13:07:26 28.11.2010] Trying to mount '127.0.0.1' -> A
[13:07:26 28.11.2010] C:\WINDOWS\system32\net.exe use A: http://127.0.0.1/X /persistent:no
[13:07:26 28.11.2010] Error executing 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\net.exe use A: http://127.0.0.1/X /persistent:no', exit code 2!

Anyways I was able to login and such from browser but couldn't figure out what it meant by safezone to drag files to encrypt/decrypt :S

cmmehl

#6 Post by cmmehl »

Ok, some hints from the author's website:

- could be that port 80 is already occupied. Run netstat -a -b -n -v and tell us the result. If you are in an OS above WinXP, you could also start the program on a different port (i.e. 81) with this commandline option:

Code: Select all

-ServerPort:xxx

This won't work under XP, though, must be port 80 there.

- or the service "WebClient" hasn't been started -> start it manually and try again.

hth - good luck!
Chris

P.S.:
-.- wrote:couldn't figure out what it meant by safezone to drag files to encrypt/decrypt :S
Not sure what you mean. But speaking about drag and drop, there is a possibility to manually decrypt files from the hidden folder. On the website, there is this little tool to download "CryptUtil 1.0.3", which you could either use by commandline

Code: Select all

CryptUtil -d -Pwd:secret filename
or simply drag an encrypted file on it, then you will be prompted for the password.