idea - universal cleaner for apps that writes to registry

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
stanmarsh

idea - universal cleaner for apps that writes to registry

#1 Post by stanmarsh »

hello everyone,

i noticed that there are portable apps listed that leave registry entries, i like to suggest a universal cleaner to solve the problem.

the idea is a background app that monitors specific processes, if it finds a listed process, it will delete the registry entries it leave. we can create a list of all the registry entries that the app would look for.

another way, is just create a list of all the registry entries in one big *.reg file

thanks for the time

Emka

Re: idea - universal cleaner for apps that writes to registr

#2 Post by Emka »

I think it is possible to enhance CCleaner by way of creating a winapp2.ini file which tells the software what to clean.

guinness

#3 Post by guinness »

Emka wrote:I think it is possible to enhance CCleaner by way of creating a winapp2.ini file which tells the software what to clean.
True! Check out >> http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?sho ... t&p=175835 for more details.

Emka

#4 Post by Emka »

@ stanmarsh:
Would that be similar to your idea? Use Regfromapp or Regshot to find out what an application does to the registry and edit CCleaner's winapp2.ini accordingly?

tproli

#5 Post by tproli »

There's already an app for that: Portidy

http://sourceforge.net/projects/portidy/

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

tproli wrote:There's already an app for that: Portidy

http://sourceforge.net/projects/portidy/
I checked out this program on the claim that it would detect and the revert all changes made to a computer during its use. However, I checked the settings and there appear to be 25 different INI files for specified removal of application data. This is fine, but since these were created back in 2007, many of these are very likely out of date (especially Opera), as well as hopelessly incomplete to the number of available portable software programs out there.

That said, its fairly simple and easy to configure. If integrated with PortableApps for example, it could make programs like SongBird, Firefox, and SeaMonkey more stealth by deleting leftovers.

stanmarsh

#7 Post by stanmarsh »

@everyone - thanks for the quick replies, i apologies the late reply, i've been busy with work.

@Emka and guinness, thanks for suggesting ccleaner's winapp2.ini. i didn't know you could enhance ccleaner further, thanks!

@tproli, i read the short introduction of portidy, and i think this is the app that i'm looking for, sad it not updated anymore, i'll try to check it if i have some free time. thanks!

@webfork, thanks for checking out portidy, your post is pretty insightful. just wondering, i thought the portableapps launcher cleans the leftovers, what does portableapps program still left behind?

@everyone - thanks again, i'll be using ccleaners winapp2.ini + portidy to clean the registry entries.