X-7zip (beta and stable)

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
webfork

X-7zip (beta and stable)

#1 Post by webfork »

I'm sure some of you have seen that winpenpack hosting a portable version of 7-zip. What's interesting about this is that they have both the cutting-edge beta version (9.17 beta 10) and a version of the stable package PortableApps is using.

The difference between the 4.x and 9.x are substantial (http://www.7-zip.org/history.txt), but if you're using an archiving tool for backup processes, stability is critical. Still, this is the speed boosts and wider format support may have appeal to some users. Whether or not to list the "beta" version on the PortableFreeware entry or leave it here in the forums is an open question. A general policy question about posting betas came up recently with PeerBlock.

SYSTEM

Re: X-7zip (beta and stable)

#2 Post by SYSTEM »

IMO, mentioning beta version in the entry is a good idea if the stable version hasn't been updated in a long time. The latest stable version of 7-Zip was released in February 2009, way over an year ago, so I think X-7zip should be mentioned in the entry.

BTW, Universal Extractor 1.6.1 uses 7-Zip 9 as well. If one only needs to extract files of the new formats, 7-Zip is not needed - UE is enough.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Tested both tonight. Both are portable and stealth. Updating entry...

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

I don't know what you think WebFork, but that link which points to an old version of 7-Zip, should it be removed because that site is hosting V4.32 of 7-Zip, which is very old!

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

guinness wrote:I don't know what you think WebFork, but that link which points to an old version of 7-Zip, should it be removed because that site is hosting V4.32 of 7-Zip, which is very old!
Wasn't me. I only modified the entry to include a note about X-7zip and had nothing to do with the Portable7zip "alternate" entry. I agree that its an old version so I'll go ahead and remove it.

guinness

#6 Post by guinness »

I know it wasn't you :D And I would have been happy to remove it, but wanted a second opinion.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

guinness wrote:I know it wasn't you :D And I would have been happy to remove it, but wanted a second opinion.
Sorry - I misread your post.

JohnTHaller

7-Zip Portable 9.19 Beta

#8 Post by JohnTHaller »

For folks that are interested, we just released an update of 7-Zip Portable 4.65 adding in portablization of favorites and last open folder (which involved some fun interpretation of registry hex entries) and full unicode support.

We also posted 7-Zip Portable 9.19 Beta which installs alongside in 7-ZipPortableTest by default. Like 7-Zip Portable, it includes the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the app and will automatically launch the appropriate one for the current PC (giving you an up to 10% or so performance boost when running it on a 64-bit version of Windows).

The entry has been updated: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=796
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

MiDoJo

#9 Post by MiDoJo »

Awesome thanks :)

Ruby

#10 Post by Ruby »

portablization of favorites and last open folder
Nice! Thank you