File copy with hash generation

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
panthos

File copy with hash generation

#1 Post by panthos »

Hi

I looking for a fast file copy program (portable is available) with hash list (md5,sfv) generation option in background.
Copying big files (300-800MB, ~1TB total) from USB to USB drive takes to long (10-15h) and would be great to have the hash list of the copied files for later processing (testing integrity of copied files) if needed.

Fastcopy and teracopy have option for copy verification, but no way to save the generated sums to file/clipboard.

Thanks for help

dmg

Re: File copy with hash generation

#2 Post by dmg »

One option would be to use a copy tool you like (Fastcopy or Teracopy), and then use something like DVDsig to create a list of file hashes. It ads another step but you would have all the md5 signatures saved to a file, and you can use DVDsig at any time later to verify your files are intact.

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Teracopy has a beta out that appears to work with MD5 files.
panthos wrote:have the hash list of the copied files for later processing (testing integrity of copied files) if needed.
Although its not as fast as what you're trying to do, I'm a big advocate of using Torrent files. Torrents don't have to connect to anything: you can generate a torrent for a directory structure and later can verify that entire directory structure whether its stored on your E:\ DVD drive, your desktop C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop, or over the network.
panthos wrote:Copying big files (300-800MB, ~1TB total)
I've tested this. I moved Ghost images from a server machine to 10 client machines using Filezilla Server FTP and then verified them all using BitTorrent. Best of all, some of the drives were too small to hold all the images so we had to break them into two parts across drives. Part of the torrent check would show expected missing files and the other drive would be missing the other half. Worked beautifully.

Moreover, torrents aren't going anywhere and can be generated and verified on more and more devices all the time.

panthos

#4 Post by panthos »

I just try to save min. +5h of hash generation (I use FileCheckMD5 which is perfect for my needs) after the copy process while the copy program anyway should read the whole source and with min. plus time can calculate hash for the copied material in one step.

Torrent generation (which is also hash calculation for a file structure, as I know) is good idea but doesn't help me at time wasting: can't be done in one step with copy process.

guinness

#5 Post by guinness »

The version WebFork posted was 2 years old and since then TeraCopy has developed a lot further, including even a Final version. They have a new Beta out (Sept. 10th 2010) which suggests they are up for any new suggestions.

My advice is post in the comment section on TeraCopy to add the function of saving to a .MD5 file.

Beta can be found here: http://blog.codesector.com/category/cod ... /teracopy/

panthos

#6 Post by panthos »

good idea...

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

guinness wrote:Beta can be found here: http://blog.codesector.com/category/cod ... /teracopy/
Another beta has been released with updates specifically for MD5 checks:

http://www.softpedia.com/progChangelog/ ... 72784.html