What Software do you use for Submissions?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
guinness

What Software do you use for Submissions?

#1 Post by guinness »

So far I have asked: How do you update your Portable Collection? & What tools do you use to test Portability?, both receiving an interesting incite into unknown applications.

So carrying on with a Portable Freeware Collection theme, What Software do you use for Submissions? What applications, tools do you use to grab the screenshot and icon from the submitted application.

mySetup
Icon - IcoFX.
Screenshot - IrfanView and/or PicPick.
Last edited by guinness on Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Napiophelios

Re: What Software do you use for Submissions?

#2 Post by Napiophelios »

@IconSushi is the handiest little app for working with/extracting icons and icon libraries.Exports transparent backgrounds too :)
FastStone Capture is perfect for screenshots. :)

chadross

#3 Post by chadross »

I use the following:
Icon - IcoFx
Screenshot - FastStone Capture or FastStone MaxView

IcoFx allows me to extract and save the icons from an exacutable. I can also use it to touch up the icon if necessary.
FastStone Capture allows me to capture, resize and crop if necessary. I use MaxView if the applications website has screenshots already and i just need to change the format to GIF.

MiDoJo

#4 Post by MiDoJo »

I too use sushi for icons

for screenshots. . . I have vista/windows7 ultimate so I just use snipper and (rarely/when needed) Photoshop elements (yeah I know not portable :shock: ;) )

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss »

ResourceExtract
MiniCap
XnView (&shell extension)

m^(2)

#6 Post by m^(2) »

Icon: Total Comander with ResExtract and Image Converter plugins
Screenshot: FastStone Capture

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

Here's my process:

Screenshot:
  1. Shrink the main window as small as possible without masking details. Avoid capturing full-screen windows.
  2. Using PicPick to capture the window. Take a few screencaps with different windows and options visible.
  3. If more than one screencap is really needed to explain the program, paste the files into PhotoScape to create an animated GIF. Render with at least a 3.2 second delay at 80-90% of the original size to keep the file size low.
  • Optionally:
    1. Enter in some kind of info about portablefreeware.com, just so people who use our screenshot are advertising for the site (as in the VectorClock entry). For example, on a browser, visit the site. On a program with a field, just type out the URL (as in the Firefox entry)
    2. Use RIOT to cut down on file size. GIF files can't be squeezed as small as PNG, but even basic compression can cut the file by 50% or more.
Icon:
  1. Use PicPick's "region" capture to get a square icon.
  2. Use PicPick's resize command to squeeze it down to a 32x32 GIF file or Imagicon to do a quick drag-and-drop resize.
Description
  • I just use Firefox (which has inline spellcheck) and initially just paste the official program description from the website. After that I go back and edit the entry to be more clear. See Editing an Entry

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

Old thread update:
  • The Icon to PNG conversion thread may help with the sometimes tedious process of getting a 32x32 image of the program icon for entry submissions.

tactictoe

#9 Post by tactictoe »

Some people are going to shoot me, but here are my two cents.

I use a combo of MS Paint to enhance comment inside window screenshot, crop picture etc... Then copy and paste in IrfanView for little sFx and save with or without transparency in any format supported (lots in IrfanView). Sometime, I use MS Word for long text and it's word art (to paste into IrfanView for banner creation). Also use Mozilla Firefox, spellchecking is a must here, for submission. For the Icon I still use the old Borland Image Editor coming with Delphi 7 (freeware now).

Have a all a very nice day.