DAMN NFO Viewer Portable

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
ekin_116

DAMN NFO Viewer Portable

#1 Post by ekin_116 »

[Moderator note: this is the primary DAMN NFO Viewer program thread. View database entry]

---

DAMN NFO Viewer is an utility for viewing text files containing ASCII Art (e.g. nfo files), and it proved itself to be handy So... if you're fed up with starting some DOS-like file manager each time you need to view nfo file, or ain't too happy with the viewer you use, or (worst case) use Notepad - give this little tool a try.

DAMN NFO Viewer Portable here:
DAMN NFO Viewer Portable

This is the first portable application I done.

dot

#2 Post by dot »

I'd like to have that one. But, it appears, one has to register to be allowed to download. Could you upload it somewhere else, like filefactory.com?

Fluffy

#3 Post by Fluffy »

How is Notepad the "worst case" scenario for viewing NFO files? That's what I'm wondering. It's quick, easy, gets you the information you need, and is a hell of a lot smaller than this "NFO Viewer" (I checked on SoftPedia - over 200k? For a text viewer with limited features?). If you set up Notepad (or any other text editor for that matter) properly you can view NFO files just fine AND have a capable application for other purposes as well. Heck, SavageEd can be set up as an "NFO Viewer" and it's only 27kb.

Mind you, I'm not trying to bash DAMN NFO Viewer - I'm just pointing out that there are much more acceptable (and useful) alternatives.

ekin_116

#4 Post by ekin_116 »

I was reuploaded the file both on filefactory and rapidshare, hopefully you can get it this time.
http://www.filefactory.com/file/01632f/
http://rapidshare.com/files/430341/Damn ... e.zip.html

dot

#5 Post by dot »

Got it from filefactory, ekin-116! Thanks a lot for your effort! NFOs now just look great! :)

dot

#6 Post by dot »

Fluffy, just download it and look for yourself and shut up! ;)

You can also check the description on this link: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-too ... ewer.shtml

Atomic Taco

#7 Post by Atomic Taco »

Try DIZzy. It's only 8k

Fluffy

#8 Post by Fluffy »

dot wrote:Fluffy, just download it and look for yourself and shut up! ;)

You can also check the description on this link: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-too ... ewer.shtml
I believe I mentioned checking Softpedia. Hence, I have a fairly good idea of what its capabilities are. I'm not the kind of person that just says things without looking into a matter first.

Moving right along, I've added DIZzy to the database. Thanks for the tip, Atomic Taco!

Kaonashi

#9 Post by Kaonashi »

Hey ekin_116, great job on making that DAMN NFO Viewer portable!

Fluffy, because you said SavageEd can be set up as an NFO viewer too, and Atomic Taco mentioned DIZzy, I've checked those two out too, but it seems to me they're "mere" text editors. Look:

Wait.. I see in the screenshot you posted with DIZzy that indeed it does ASCII. Plus I remember that the built-in file viewer from Total Commander also displayed NFO-files just fine, before I switched my locale to Japanese. Now I get all these katakana-characters. So that's the problem.

But DAMN is still able to display ASCII-files as intended, so I think it would be nice if it would be added to the database, maybe with a note that, unlike some other NFO-viewers, it does a good job on non-western Windows' too.

Thanks again ekin_116, I've been wanting to be able to view these nfo-thingies as intended for a while ^_^

ekin_116

#10 Post by ekin_116 »

thanks to dot and Kaonashi for supporting my project.

I am going to portablefreeware.com just to share what the project I done, not to give others trouble. I think this is only the taste of choosing software.

I know there have many other software do the same job as DAMN NFO Viewer do. but I am sorry for the other people, this is the software that I like.

Everyone have the right to choose what the software they like.

So, everybody be respect to each other, and don't give trouble to andrew on this forum.

Andrew Lee

#11 Post by Andrew Lee »

I think I know what the problem is with DIZzy. It only works if you didn't change your locale. I set mine to Simplified Chinese at home, and it doesn't display the block characters correctly. But on my office machine, it works fine.

Andrew Lee

#12 Post by Andrew Lee »

BTW, I just posted MadEdit to the database.

On a whim (since description says it supports ASCII art), I opened an NFO file and sure enough it displays the file beautifully regardless of the locale setting.

Hank7

Damn fine NFO Viewer!

#13 Post by Hank7 »

hey ekin, nice work. nfo's never looked better!

Andrew Lee

#14 Post by Andrew Lee »

I have posted DAMN NFO Viewer Portable to the database. Thanks!

nullx42

Same App, Minus the language folder

#15 Post by nullx42 »

Hi there! I know this is an old topic/prog submission, but i managed to make The required "DAMN_NFO_Viewer_ENG.dll" work when in the same directory as DAMN NFO Viewer.exe. Yes given this isnt the original design of the author and does require one to use "my version" of the program, but If there are people out there like me that have somewhat of an OCD when it comes to there portable apps, then you know what its like having a folder wasted on a single dll file. The english dll is included in the rar file along with the modified damn nfo exe:

http://statixmx.com/NuLL/DamnNFOviewPort.rar