Appupdater

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Arithmomaniac

Appupdater

#1 Post by Arithmomaniac »

http://www.nabber.org/projects/appupdater/

Appupdater provides advanced functionality to Windows, similar to apt-get or yum on Linux. It automates the process of installing and maintaining up to date versions of programs. It is fully customizable for use in a corporate environment.

Unicode NA
Path Portability Don't know
Stealth: I think no
Use Download zip. Extract. and launch Appupdaterw.exe.

Alexander

#2 Post by Alexander »

Have you compared it to SUMo?

Arithmomaniac

#3 Post by Arithmomaniac »

Alexander wrote:Have you compared it to SUMo?
No. But this also has InstallPad like features.

nabber00

#4 Post by nabber00 »

I am the author of Appupdater. I believe it meets all of your requirements for a portable app, at least as much as an installation program is expected to. I released a portable version as "Appupdater-0.8.2-win32.zip" and all you need to do is unzip wherever you want it and you are ready to go.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=191105

All settings are stored in the program directory in a .ini file. It should also be "stealth" as it does not write anything to the hard drive, a cache directory is created in the program directory when downloading.

From the README:

2.3. Portable (USB Drive) Installation
--------------------------------------
There are three ways that this can be done.

1. The recommended way to do this is to download the file that ends in -win32.zip. This contains all of the program .exes that you need, you can unzip to any directory and it will work.

2. Simply install normally to your hard drive as described in part 2.1. Then copy the installation folder (default C:\Program Files\Appupdater) to your USB device.

3. If you want to install directly to the USB device you can, however you
should uncheck all optional components to minimize unneeded changes to your Windows installation. Even in this case an add/remove programs entry will be created.

webfork

Re: Appupdater

#5 Post by webfork »

This app has come a long way since it was first posted (now at 1.4.1) and now includes a PortableApps-style installer, but the program itself doesn't seem to start on my system.

Same problem on the "-win32.zip" file.

Back to using Sumo...

nabber00

#6 Post by nabber00 »

webfork wrote:This app has come a long way since it was first posted (now at 1.4.1) and now includes a PortableApps-style installer, but the program itself doesn't seem to start on my system.
Can you provide more details and I'll try to get it resolved? What version of Windows are you using? Is there anything in %APPDATA%\Appupdater\appupdaterw.log? Does running the command line app (appupdater.exe) provide any output?

guinness

#7 Post by guinness »

I tested too and it didn't work either. I was using Win XP SP3 and yes it did create a log in %APPDATA%\Appupdater\appupdaterw.log which is weird because a Portable Application shouldn't be writing to the %APPDATA% folder. I have attached the .log file for debugging. I download the current version (PortableApps Installer)
========================
Fri Jul 09 12:00:00 2010
========================
Using config at C:\Documents and Settings\MYUSERNAME\Desktop\AppupdaterPortable\Data\Appupdater\appupdater.ini.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "appupdaterw.py", line 92, in <module>
File "libappupdater\guiqt.pyo", line 1885, in run
File "libappupdater\core.pyo", line 214, in __init__
File "libappupdater\core.pyo", line 340, in load_config
File "libappupdater\core.pyo", line 359, in key_import_init
File "libappupdater\GPG.pyo", line 267, in __init__
ValueError: Couldn't find 'gpg' binary on path ['/bin', '/usr/bin', '/usr/local/bin', '${PROGRAMFILES}\\GNU\\GnuPG', '${PROGRAMFILES(X86)}\\GNU\\GnuPG', 'GPG', '${SYSTEMDRIVE}\\cygwin\\bin', '${SYSTEMDRIVE}\\cygwin\\usr\\bin', '${SYSTEMDRIVE}\\cygwin\\usr\\local\\bin', 'C:\\WINDOWS\\system32', 'C:\\WINDOWS', 'C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\Wbem'].
========================
Fri Jul 09 05:27:01 2010
========================
Using config at C:\Documents and Settings\MYUSERNAME\Desktop\AppupdaterPortable\Data\Appupdater\appupdater.ini.
ValueError: Couldn't find 'gpg' binary on path ['/bin', '/usr/bin', '/usr/local/bin', '${PROGRAMFILES}\\GNU\\GnuPG', '${PROGRAMFILES(X86)}\\GNU\\GnuPG', 'GPG', '${SYSTEMDRIVE}\\cygwin\\bin', '${SYSTEMDRIVE}\\cygwin\\usr\\bin', '${SYSTEMDRIVE}\\cygwin\\usr\\local\\bin', 'C:\\WINDOWS\\system32', 'C:\\WINDOWS', 'C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\Wbem'].
========================
========================
========================
========================

nabber00

#8 Post by nabber00 »

Ah, yes Appupdater needs GPG by default. Either set SIG_CHECK = SKIP in the appupdater.ini file or set GNUPG to the path where it can find gpg.exe.

guinness

#9 Post by guinness »

I added SIG_CHECK = SKIP to .\Data\Appupdater\appupdater.ini and ran AppupdaterPortable.exe and then it created the following LOG file below in %APPDATA%\Appupdater\appupdaterw.log

It's different than before.
========================
Fri Jul 09 12:20:00 2010
========================

nabber00

#10 Post by nabber00 »

OK I just fixed that for the next release.

guinness

#11 Post by guinness »

What was the problem? Should I ideally be using GNUPG?

nabber00

#12 Post by nabber00 »

Yeah that should fix it. Otherwise you could be installing updates from an untrusted source.

guinness

#13 Post by guinness »

It worked!

For those interested: I extracted (UniExtract) the GPG Win32 Binary and add the path to appupdater.ini. But now I have the problem that when it downloads the repository, it doesn't show me my installed programs.
gnupg = C:\THEPATH\gpg.exe
I am not worried, I was only trying to help webfork. Plus from the preliminary tests, it doesn't write to the Registry but does create that .LOG file!

nabber00

#14 Post by nabber00 »

I think it only writes the log file if it crashes?

The installer package has a "portable" install option that will also extract the GPG stuff needed, I'd recommend doing that. It doesn't touch the registry or anything, just makes everything really easy so you don't have problems like these.

You might need to clear the cache directory and give it another try if it isn't finding anything.

guinness

#15 Post by guinness »

OK, I will try and reporting my findings.