Curious about apps that get removed

Any other tech-related topics
dmg

Curious about apps that get removed

#1 Post by dmg »

I was looking for an app which was listed here a while back and was having trouble finding it. I searched for it and the results came back zero. It is no big deal but I started wondering why it had been removed, and by extension, what might cause any app to be removed from the site.

The app I was looking for was RBTray. I really am curious as to why it was removed. Was there anything wrong with it?

Andrew Lee

Re: Curious about apps that get removed

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

Are you sure it was listed? Normally, if an app is removed, it will be added to the reject list. But RBTray cannot be found in the reject list.

dmg

#3 Post by dmg »

Yes, I am sure. I first saw it on the "Latest" page, and later I came across it more than once in the "Productivity - Desktop Accessories" category while I was looking for similar software. It was on the site for at least a week before it disappeared.

Is it possible this is a glitch in the database? :shock:

I am Baas

#4 Post by I am Baas »

@DMG

Are you affiliated with RBTray? I ask because of this thread on portableapps.com.

dmg

#5 Post by dmg »

No, I have nothing to do with RBTray. I did start that thread On PortableApps though. I found RBTray on here and started using it, then when I noticed it was gone I was curious if someone found some issue with it I would want to know about. Sorry if I am causing anyone any trouble. :(

guinness

#6 Post by guinness »

Why not add to the database (again!) if it's Portable?

Checker

#7 Post by Checker »

I'm not sure that this app was in the database, but it was mentioned at this thread by modussn :!:

spchtr

#8 Post by spchtr »

So...

Is there anyway to shut this program off aside from finding it in the task manager and killing the process? Don't seem very portable if you can't shut it off...

-.-

#9 Post by -.- »

i had same problem lol, and the progam didnt even do what it said it would :D lol
nothing got minimized to icon tray lol

I am Baas

#10 Post by I am Baas »

spchtr wrote:So...

Is there anyway to shut this program off aside from finding it in the task manager and killing the process? Don't seem very portable if you can't shut it off...
Right click on any of the icons (of minimized windows) in the system tray for the options to either restore window, close window, or exit RBTray alltogether.

@-.-
right-clicking on the Minimize button of a window should do the trick. Works fine on this winxp sp3.

spchtr

#11 Post by spchtr »

For some reason that is not working in Vista 32bit.

There's an option for exiting rbTray, when you right click on a trayed icon, and while that untrays that application, rbtray is still running in the background.

I am Baas

#12 Post by I am Baas »

spchtr wrote:For some reason that is not working in Vista 32bit.

There's an option for exiting rbTray, when you right click on a trayed icon, and while that untrays that application, rbtray is still running in the background.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/rbtray/support OR http://moitah.net/ (contact details at bottom of page)

Ruby

#13 Post by Ruby »

Check out this thread DM2 (DialogMate2) I just posted here at TPFC!

dmg

#14 Post by dmg »

@Ruby

I have looked at DM2 and it certainly does a lot of stuff, but I found it to be a little 'busy', for lack of a better word. Sometimes a program tries to do so much that it gets confusing. I admit I probably have a lower threshold in that area than most people. :D I like RBTray mostly because it is so simple. There are at least three other applications listed here that do basically the same thing, but they all either had clumsy interfaces or just did more than I needed done. Plus, I am not sure any of those other programs, including DM2, are still being developed. RBTray is, and based on the most recent change log the authors are working toward implementing Vista and Win7 compatibility.