DropIt

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
Lupo73

Re: DropIt

#151 Post by Lupo73 »

I tried it Ruby, but seems to be not supported. Anyway now the installer is a little better..remains only to know what is the difference between Directory and Folder in registry.. :mrgreen:

Ruby

#152 Post by Ruby »

Lupo73

#153 Post by Lupo73 »

Thanks.. I have uploaded an unofficial preview release on my website, if someone is interested in test it and help me with development:
http://www.lupopensuite.com/files/Preview.zip

:wink:

Lupo73

#154 Post by Lupo73 »

I'm considering to add an alert message if the user try to process a big number or size of files (given that actually it could be a problem if an user erroneously drop a big folder like a system directory). What is your opinion? What limits I could add? I thought something like 2 GB and 5000 files.

Lupo73

#155 Post by Lupo73 »

New release 0.9.3 available:
- added alert if a big number/size of files is loaded
- added official software Guide (thanks to grannyGeek)
- improved command line support
- improved installer and shell integration
- moved settings in user's Application Data folder (for installer version only)
- fixed some minor bugs

The Guide is really good and complete, but any advice is welcome to improve it too. :wink:

Lupo73

#156 Post by Lupo73 »

A big thanks to grannyGeek that is collaborating to improve the user experience with DropIt!
This is a set of taget images he has created, that will be included in the next release (download here):

stanmarsh

#157 Post by stanmarsh »

looks great! :D thanks lupo and grannygeek!

Lupo73

#158 Post by Lupo73 »

The new release is available! It includes the new set of images and several improvements to command line features. This is the changelog of version 0.9.4:
- added set of 24 new target images (thanks to grannyGeek)
- improved command line support
- updated official software Guide
- fixed some minor bugs

kuihdez

#159 Post by kuihdez »

hey lupo !

great additions,

what about the "if no targets found" option ?

thanks

Lupo73

#160 Post by Lupo73 »

It is in my todo list, but needs a little more work. I'll try to implement it in one of the next releases. :wink:

BlueBinaryCode

#161 Post by BlueBinaryCode »

First of all Sorry for my English :oops:
Hello Lupo73, You did a good job :wink: , but your program (as it is now) will never work properly (if you select multiple files or folders at the same time) from the context menu.

Eg.:
1) Select 50 (or more) files (or files and folders) at the same time.
2) Right Menu ---> Sort with DropIt.
3) In the TaskManager, You will see 50 (or more) instances of DropIt.exe (and most likely Yuo will also see a system crash).

Why this? (the answer is simple)
Because each file is passed individually to DropIt.exe.
There is no registry trick, that allows you to pass multiple objects to a single istance of DropIt.exe.
(Obviously if you select only one file or folder at a time, the program will work properly)

To process multiple objects (via context menu) with a single instance of DropIt.exe, you should rewrite It like a real shell extension. Or alternatively, You should encode a DDE server, but in this case the performance will always be inferior to those of a shell extension, because the DDE server collects the data (one by one) and then transmit them in a single variable, that DropIt could parse correctly as it happens via drag and drop.
I am sure of what I'm saying, because some time ago I've written a shell extension (which I still use) that does the same thing of DropIt, and It is able (in single istance) to successfully process 10000 (yes, ten thousand) files (there is no limit of size or number) in little more than a minute (on an old PC with: Intel Pentium M 1.73 GZz 1GB RAM my slell extension during his work uses 5MB of memory and the 30% of the processor.)

My test:
I did the test with 50 empty txt.
Target folder: C:\Test
Source: C\EmptyFiles\------------> 50 txt
I selected (at the same time) all 50 txt.
The result was that, after more than 5 minutes of
CPU 100 % and Ram full well above the 3 gigabite
I had to manually close all (50) instances of DropIt.exe in the taskmanager to avoid a system crash.

I hope that the information I gave you, are useful. I would like to help you, but (sorry) I do not digest the AutoIt language.

P.s.: Lupo ma sei Italiano? Ho letto solo ora sotto il tuo avatar :oops: . Mi è venuto in mente proprio in questo momento, che se sei disposto ad usare una DLL Free DDE server te la posso segnalare (e ti posso anche spiegare come usarla). Ti darebbe modo di usare il tuo programma in istanza singola con più files e cartelle selezionati simultaneamente (nessun limite di "peso" per file o cartella, ma non regge più di 500 "oggetti diversi" per selezione) e farebbe anche comparire l'icona di DropIt (anche su XP) nel menù contestuale del tasto DX mouse. Anche se tale DLL non può competere con le prestazioni della mia shell extension, sono certo che (se interessato) rimarresti comunque impressionato. Se ti va, fammi sapere. Bravo e continua così :wink:

Lupo73

#162 Post by Lupo73 »

Si sono italiano, ma meglio proseguire in inglese così da far capire tutti :wink:

Thanks for the report and yes, it could be very useful. Shell integration is a feature request I have implemented, but we are still testing it. If you can help me with it, I'd like to improve this feature as you said.
I'm open to your proposals. You can also contact me on my website (and than by email) if you prefer.

kuihdez

#163 Post by kuihdez »

Lupo73 wrote:It is in my todo list, but needs a little more work. I'll try to implement it in one of the next releases. :wink:
hehe, thanks !

BlueBinaryCode

#164 Post by BlueBinaryCode »

Lupo73 wrote:Si sono italiano, ma meglio proseguire in inglese così da far capire tutti :wink:

Thanks for the report and yes, it could be very useful. Shell integration is a feature request I have implemented, but we are still testing it. If you can help me with it, I'd like to improve this feature as you said.
I'm open to your proposals. You can also contact me on my website (and than by email) if you prefer.
Perfect, I will try to do my best to help you :)
I will contact you (on your website) as soon as possible.

Ciao

Edit: I have contacted you on your website.

joby_toss

#165 Post by joby_toss »

Is DropIt able to monitor a folder and automatically move files around (I can't find this option)?
If not, will this feature be added?

(It kinda' breaks the whole "Drop It" concept :) )