XMPlay vs AIMP

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Lupo73

XMPlay vs AIMP

#1 Post by Lupo73 »

I'd like to know your opinions about these two software. AIMP seems to be more powerful and with more features, but XMPlay is more popular on PFC and I simply would like to know why. :mrgreen:

m^(2)

Re: XMPlay vs AIMP

#2 Post by m^(2) »

I very much prefer XMPlay, AIMP doesn't appeal to me at all. It's mainly because XMPlay is much lighter and doesn't have so overloaded and heavy GUI (yes, I played with AIMP skins). It does everything I want from it and does it better.
With AIMP I've got a feeling that it tries to be more important than the music it plays.

joby_toss

#3 Post by joby_toss »

Does XMPlay have global hotkeys? I didn't play with it much. I'm more like a foobar person. :P

m^(2)

#4 Post by m^(2) »

joby_toss wrote:Does XMPlay have global hotkeys? I didn't play with it much. I'm more like a foobar person. :P
There is a "Global" checkbox in the hotkeys config, so I guess yes. Though I never used them.

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss »

I've played with XMPlay for half an hour and I'm pretty satisfied: global hotkeys, asio support, many formats recognized, very nice skins (used aiwa), internet radio support (and ogg output).
I'll have to look some more into the "paths" issue.

But my (primary) usb stick is 8gb, so there is plenty of room for both of them. :)

freakazoid

#6 Post by freakazoid »

I also prefer XMPlay because it's lean and mean (less than 500k is crazy!).
Both use the BASS audio engine.

XMPlay is by the author of BASS, which is good to know.
The one thing I like about AIMP is the playlist. You can separate albums / folders in the playlist with a horizontal line, which is useful if you have a ton of items in your playlist.

btw, it seems like I'm the only one who added XMPlay to their favorites! :p
is it stealth? ;)

the_watcher

#7 Post by the_watcher »

I've played with both of them for quite a long time...i have to agree that xmplay is a
stunning piece of software! very small, very light, but with so much stuff hiding underneath! for example, right-clicking a button does something, but left-clicking the same button does something else...very simple and very useful! :)
the readme and the support site provide a few guidelines for a start...

AIMP on the other hand seems more "straightforward"...
(eg. every button does what it seems to do)

as freakazoid said, both use the BASS audio engine, so the have the same (great) sound...
I don't know which one has the more skins and plugins...in my system, both of them play everything..
They have the same memory footprint
Feature-wise, to me their only *real* difference, is the playlist. Not only what freakazoid said, but also the support for multiple tabbed playlists! great feature, very handy...

So the bottom line is: both of them are excellent! ( i use both..you should too :) )

ArnaudNime

#8 Post by ArnaudNime »

I'm a xmplay fan for years.
For me the only problem with xmplay is the library management, which is much better in AIMP.

Right now, I think the only software which is as light as xmplay and with a tree-view library management is Winyl, but it is not portable (writes settings in the user directory).
I asked the author, and he wrote that portability is scheduled for the next version...

Checker

#9 Post by Checker »

freakazoid wrote:... it seems like I'm the only one who added XMPlay to their favorites! :p ...
You are not alone :lol:

See :!:
Last edited by Checker on Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lupo73

#10 Post by Lupo73 »

Good info..thanks for your feedback. :wink:

I was an XMPlay user for a long time, than I decided to use AIMP for a while (to test it and because XMPlay seemed to be out-of-date). I'll probably come back to XMPlay in the next release of my Suite, because it's more simple, small and widely updated with the last version. If someone is interested to test it, I'll include this XMPlay version with some minor differences: 3 skins included, Go as default skin, few other preconfigured settings.

Gilgamesh

#11 Post by Gilgamesh »

Hi,

Lupo, maybe you should include the NoReg=1 option in your ini file. It disables all file association options (more secret options here).

ps: First post of a long time lurker, registered some of time ago :oops:. Thank you all for your work and time!

Lupo73

#12 Post by Lupo73 »

Thanks for this useful report.. I have updated my package with it. :wink: