Looking for portable revision control software

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
sproaticus

Looking for portable revision control software

#1 Post by sproaticus »

I just need some portable revision control software - I understand that CVS and SVN are not easily portable (e.g. difficult to move repository). Command-line is OK. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Alexander

#2 Post by Alexander »

Have you checked if VSS depends on registry?

substance21

#3 Post by substance21 »

I think you need to clarify what you mean by portable Source control software. As portability defined by this site goes, CVS and SubVersion are portable and their repositories are easily moved/copied/etc.

From a client standpoint, the client is always going to need to know where to look for the repository so yes, its not simple to just move the repository around. But cvs has the -d option where you can specify a cvs_root override. Subversion has a similar option.

sproaticus

#4 Post by sproaticus »

substance21 wrote:I think you need to clarify what you mean by portable Source control software. As portability defined by this site goes, CVS and SubVersion are portable and their repositories are easily moved/copied/etc.

From a client standpoint, the client is always going to need to know where to look for the repository so yes, its not simple to just move the repository around. But cvs has the -d option where you can specify a cvs_root override. Subversion has a similar option.
What I meant is that I want source control software (with accompanying repository) which I can carry around on my thumb drive. I recall reading somewhere that svn doesn't take kindly to moving around the repository, but I can't find the cite now.

What would be killer is a GUI which lets you specify a repository on startup, handles checkouts and merges via drag and drop, and so on. (It would be really cool if it could wash my car too, but I'm not holding my breath. :D )

substance21

#5 Post by substance21 »

I've only barely touched subversion, but carrying around a CVS repository on a thumb drive should be no problem (and I would be really surprised if SubVersion had problems).