Atari800 Emulator

Submit updates of portable freeware that are already listed in the database.
sproaticus

Atari800 Emulator

#1 Post by sproaticus »

From the website:
Atari800 is an Atari 800, 800XL, 130XE and 5200 emulator for Unix, Amiga, MS-DOS, Atari TT/Falcon, SDL and WinCE. Our main objective is to create a freely distributable portable emulator (i.e. with source code available).
You need to download both the emulator and the system ROMs, then any disk or cartridge files which contain the actual Atari programs. The ROMs are completely legal (hosted with permission on the website) but you should have a legal copy of any program you run.

Download emulator: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... e_id=32946

Download Atari system ROMs: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... e_id=32947

License: open source (Atari system ROMs are not opensource, but freely available: "Darek Mihocka got the permission from Atari corp. to distribute the images of Atari 800XL's OS and BASIC ROMs. The XFormer 2.5 package that contains these ROM images is free now so download and unpack it to get the ROM files needed for Atari800 run." - see http://sourceforge.net/project/shownote ... e_id=64318)

System requirements: Windows 2000, XP, maybe others

Install: Unzip into its own directory, unzip zf25.zip (ROMs) into same directory, copy any ATR files (games) into same directory

Settings saved to: file ".atari800.cfg" in program directory

p.s. There are lots of legally-distributed Atari 800 games on the internet. My personal favorite, M.U.L.E., can be gotten at http://www.classicgaming.com/rotw/mule.shtml

Andrew Lee

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

Thanks! Posted to the databse.

Really bring back memories, since my first encounter with a personal computer was the Atari at a friend's place. I had loads of fun with it before becoming totally obsesses with my own Apple ][.

Any portable Apple ][ emulators out there?

sproaticus

#3 Post by sproaticus »

Andrew Lee wrote:Any portable Apple ][ emulators out there?
This sounds like a quest. :D Lemme see what I can dig up...

sproaticus

#4 Post by sproaticus »

A few possibilities, though I'm not too familiar with Apple ][.

Kegs32 - a Apple IIgs emulator for Windows. Am playing with this one right now...

AppleWin - an Apple IIe emulator for Windows.

They both seem to take the same format of disk images, which is good news. I've found a few disk collections online, but I'm not certain of the legal status of these. (Also, I'm not sure of the differences between IIe and IIgs, though I have played with a IIe in the past, and the marketing on IIgs looks like it's billed as a low-end Macintosh clone.)

It's pretty funny - I'm playing with this Apple emulator in VmWare, basically a Windows emulator... I was going to play with the Apple emulator running on a Palm Pilot emulator running inside VmWare, but I don't want to ripe a hole in the time/space continuum... :wink:

A Cumen

#5 Post by A Cumen »

Oooo, Atari. That brings me back!

sproaticus

#6 Post by sproaticus »

Responding to my own post...

It appears that the Apple II roms are not redistributable. You can find illegal copies online, of course, but they're, you know, illegal.

FWIW, the KEGS32 app looks pretty portable - nothing in the registry and nothing in the filesystem.

PowerCat

#7 Post by PowerCat »

Mmmmm... Posting emulators?
If you'll start posting them, you're gonna have to post pretty much all emulators out there. They are pretty much all portable.
Are you ready for a list of emulators?

sproaticus

#8 Post by sproaticus »

PowerCat wrote:Mmmmm... Posting emulators?
If you'll start posting them, you're gonna have to post pretty much all emulators out there. They are pretty much all portable.
Are you ready for a list of emulators?
That's up to Andrew, of course, but my $0.02 is this: not all emulators are free. Many if not most rely upon original system ROMs, which may or may not be freely distributable. (e.g. the Apple IIe ROMs don't seem to be free.)

Atari did give Darek Mihocka the rights to redistribute the 8-bit Atari ROMs with his PCXFormer software (which is now free, website www.emulators.com), but this is a somewhat rare arrangement.

Darkbee

#9 Post by Darkbee »

I know of a couple of Atari ST emulators that I'm fairly sure are portable but for the reason above, I have hesitated to post them on this website. Although, they are free, I'm not sure that the ROMs containing the Atari ST operating system are. Perhaps, I'll have a check on the legitimacy of it, since the ST emulators that I've used usually come ready to go with a basic ST ROM.

Emulators are a great way to relive your mispent youth, and also assuming the emulator to be portable, a great way of having a potentially large repository of portable games (something for fluffy to think about) :D

Andrew Lee

#10 Post by Andrew Lee »

It's pretty funny - I'm playing with this Apple emulator in VmWare, basically a Windows emulator... I was going to play with the Apple emulator running on a Palm Pilot emulator running inside VmWare, but I don't want to ripe a hole in the time/space continuum...
Wow! It makes my head spin just reading it! Cool!

Shucks. Too bad the Apple ROMs are not available legally.
If you'll start posting them, you're gonna have to post pretty much all emulators out there. They are pretty much all portable. Are you ready for a list of emulators?
Don't see why not, as long as the ROMs are legal.