Changing the drive letter for a USB stick.

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
Easybeat

Changing the drive letter for a USB stick.

#1 Post by Easybeat »

After spending a fair old amount of time trying to make a 'relative shortcut' in Windows XP, I have discovered a small workaround (Outside of the disk management option) to the fact that when a usb drive is inserted into different computers it takes different letters. By creating an MS-Dos Batch File with the following text and running the file when the drive is plugged in, it will create a replica drive on a letter of your choice.

@echo off
if exist=h:\ subst z: h:\

Where H is the existing drive in this case
and Z is the new letter assigned to the drive

So far I have noted the following:-
Any letter combinations work.
The drive does not show up in disk management.
The drive is removed upon reboot.
Altering files on the duplicate drive alters the files on the original drive.
You do not need administrator rights to run the batch file.

Creating a duplicate drive in a letter of your choice means that shortcuts can be used and hence open up some applications that require this.
There are some obvious problems in that you will need probably need several different batch files and the letter you want may be taken however if you pick a drive letter like Z or V these are not used very often.

Darkbee

#2 Post by Darkbee »

You can also achieve the same thing with vSubst, although I haven't fully tested this out myself.

Generally speaking, I use the launcher application PStart, to open my portable applications, since it allows me to use relative paths, which are valid whatever the drive letter.

I also use the folder bookmarking feature of DM2 to create shortcuts to folder locations. I can also add duplicate directories, but for different drive letters if I wish.

However, Your solution is certainly a simple one and simple is quite often the most effective; I just thought I post some alternative ideas.

Easybeat

#3 Post by Easybeat »

I use pStart at the moment however there are a few other launchers out there like Talisman (which I am curently working on) and 3D top that would be interesting to use except that they require shortcuts to work correctly.