Ecco

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
falrob

Ecco

#1 Post by falrob »

Ecco is still considered by many to be one of the best PIMs around (although development has stopped almost 10 years ago !). There is talk of a future open source project: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/eccopro/

It can be run from a USB stick without a 'registry install' if 4 .dll files are copied into the \ecco folder on the USB stick:
http://www.compusol.org/ecco/eccoflash.html

The latest version (4.01) can be downloaded here:
ftp://ftp.netmanage.com/support/pub/uti ... 01/Ecco32/

dot

#2 Post by dot »

I don't like this program! It writes quite a bunch of files in the Windows root folder, and, of course, in the system32 folder, too. It even asks for a REBOOT after installation. I HATE it when a program does that. It has no uninstallation routine and it does not appear in add/remove!!! Correction: just found it has one, called: "NetManage Ecco Pro". Also found a bunch of registry entries (under NETMANAGE).

I think, I'll restore an image backup later of my system partition, so I know I don't have any garbage by the program left in my slick and clean Windows.

Besides, I'm not too impressed with the awkward way it seems to work. But maybe it just needs some getting used to. As EssentialPIM is not "extremely" slow (as mentioned by the Ecco addict on the link provided) on a usual, modern computer, I think EssentialPIM is a much more convenient and user-friendly alternative. Of course, I know the emotions,too, when one is hooked on some old, beloved, often esoteric, little program. ;-)
Last edited by dot on Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

dot

#3 Post by dot »

I checked some more: after deleting the registry entries, that were obviously created during installation, the program will NOT create them again when it is being used.

BUT: it keeps recreating several ecco files in the Windows root folder!! Which means for me, I'll try to avoid ever starting that program again. At least, it shouldn't be used on a foreign computer!

Besides, with about 9 MB it's not exactly a small PIM (compared to UK's Kalender, or EssentialPIM, e.g.), and also uses quite some more resources when in use. UK's Kalender, e.g., uses so little resources, one really can keep it running all the time and make use of its, in my view, unparalleled notifcation features.

----------------------------

...checked some more: the installation log in Ecco's directory gives all the changes and entries made during installation. There are even several files added to the Windows/system folder (apart from the Windows root and system32 folder). But Ecco doesn't seem to need those and doesn't recreate them when deleted.

...kept checking: actually there's an uninstall option in the start menu, but when that is started it wont list the entries it made in the Windows folder and so leaves a bunch of files behind. When you click on the NetManage entry in the start menu, the NetManage registry entries will be recreated. Weird program, definitely not truly "portable", though it's a feature rich and quite sophisticated PIM.

Andrew Lee

#4 Post by Andrew Lee »

Thanks for the analysis! I think creating files in the Windows root folder is good enough reason to reject this app.