menuApp

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
risk

menuApp

#1 Post by risk »

menuApp is an application which allows you to configure menus and use them to launch your favourite programs, music files, documents, websites, etc.

See Running from a USB drive in the Help URL http://www.desktopapps.co.uk/menuAppHelp.html

This little app is useful when called from other program launchers, desktop shortcuts or batch files.

Andrew Lee

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

I would like to start a discussion as to whether this app should be added.

I have run it with Regshot, and there is no problem with its portability.

My doubt here is with its weird usage pattern. In my mind, it is designed to be added to the Windows Quick Launch bar, where a click of the icon will launch it and display the menu. This in itself is a great minus.

There is also the issue of the server and non-server mode. By default, when you run it, it adds itself to the "Startup" menu with the "-u" parameter. Subsequently when you run it again, it will talk to the server and get the cached info.

You can run it in non-server mode, but this will impose a performance hit since it needs to parse the folders on every launch.

Maybe I am not seeing the obvious here, but this weird usage pattern just doesn't make me want to add it to the database. Why not just make itself visible on the desktop or taskbar, and solve this problem of server, non-server modes? Which is why I think it is designed to the added to the Quick Launch bar, 'cos I can't think of any other reason for this weirdness.

risk

#3 Post by risk »

Andrew, you are correct in seeing this app as somewhat of a not your standard Windows desk accessory. It complements the Windows Quick Launchbar and other launchers such as RKLauncher and Stardock in providing a submenu. (Although RKLauncher now allows you to have submenus.)

I have no interest in seeing menuApp make or not make the DB. Personally, it stayed on my thumb drive for only a couple of days then it was removed when I did not fully implement it into my desktop environment.

Here's my opinion, this site is a great resource for finding portable free apps. It is the first place I look when I need to search for a software tool or app to address a specific need. You've done a good job of defining the criterion for inclusion and menuApp does meet the requirements. It might be useful for someone who's looking for its functionality in a free, portable app.

Darkbee

#4 Post by Darkbee »

I haven't tested out this app but I'm kind of inclined to agree with risk, in as much as if the program meets all of the specified criteria for entry into the database, then it could be that you are setting a tricky precident in terms of discriminating against future apps.

It's a bit like allowing one app, that has an annoying nag screen to go into the database. Once you set that precident then all free, portable programs with annoying nag screens are eligible. However, you might decide that some annoying nag screens are more annoying than others, so how does one decide that?

My example probably isn't really good because we have a reverse situation but, my point being, if you are going to discriminate on an app based on it's usability then... well one man's Volvo is another man's Mercedes.

My only provisor to this, is that if the app is somehow fundamentally flawed, to render it almost pointless or of little value then it doesn't merit entry into the database. One such example recently was the program to disable the XP firewall. Although that program was found to be portable its limited use and apparent lack of value-adding, meant that it probably wasn't worth adding to the database.

Again, I haven't had a chance to look at this app, but the question I'd be asking myself is, does it add value for some group of users (not necessarily myself, but some group)

I hope this doesn't sound like a rant, it isn't supposed to, just my two penneth/cents worth.

Andrew Lee

#5 Post by Andrew Lee »

Good points. Actually, I try very hard not to be biased by my own view of apps that are submitted by others, although I may subconsciously try to delay looking at them. For example, my recent addition of Apple Diet Calculator drew a number of derisive remarks. :oops:

My dilemma is that I have never come across such a weird app. MenuApp is a program launcher, but is it really practical to be used in a portable setting? That's why I need your inputs.

First, you will need to start it in the hidden "server" mode (preferably via some auto-start mechanism), because not doing so is just too resource intensive (a complete scan of folder and subfolders before it displays the popup menu).

Second, you will need the anchor the EXE (or its shortcut) to the Quick Launch bar or something equivalent. The Quick Launch bar is hardly a good choice, so it ought to be some other portable program launcher. But if you are using some other program launcher, then why would you need MenuApp?

*Confused*