Should I download Ubuntu GNU/Linux? NO!!!

Any other tech-related topics
Simon.T

Should I download Ubuntu GNU/Linux? NO!!!

#1 Post by Simon.T »

Hello everybody,

Yep, I'm using GNU/Linux since my whole Windows Vista crashed because of a virus attack (end of march 2009) < and I couldn't get in... So I figured "WTF???"
(1) lets get my old Slax 6.x < running from a USB stick
(2) lets stick another stick and download to it Ubuntu (since Canonical FUCKS have A LOT of Proprietary Wireless Drivers ""Out Of The Box")
(3) lets burn the Ubuntu 8.10 ISO with K3B
(4) it said that it burnt successfully
(5) most of the none backed up data (Vista) lost...
(6) lets install Ubuntu GNU/Linux

Now, as time goes on and as I'm looking around for more answers to questions, I see that Ubuntu GNU/Linux is nothing more than an UGLY Propaganda for self Public Relations and Promotion just as like Mozilla people did (and are still doing: see this example from the past)

Ubuntu SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!! < but better than WindOOOOw$
Ubuntu has one of the WORST KDE & XFCE desktops < Gnome is #1 for Canonical.

There are TWO mAjor problems
1) A very BAD implementations of KDE, Xfce and soon will be an LXDE < The only "decent" desktop is their Gnome distribution which is "Ubuntu"
2) They're allegedly (or should I say: seemingly) claiming for EXCLUSIVELY supporting drivers (free and proprietary) and an exclusive innovation when it comes to the "creation" of these drivers <<< this is a LIE <<< this is a Propaganda!!!

these people IMHO want a monopoly <<< they're (most of them) GREED!

maybe Ubuntu contributed to the world not more than 10 enhancements and applications.
Ubuntu just presenting themselves as the main factor behind all the GNU features around that you see in the Ubuntu OS < it ISN'T true and this is NOT the right impression that a user should get!

And by the way, If you want a very friendly LXDE distribution, get Slitaz + a WiFi Slitaz Distro

So Please,
get a router (with auto connection... duh!) get ArchLinux or Slackware or Debian or Fedora or gNewSense <<< and from there download a wireless driver.

I installed Ubuntu 9.04 when it released <<< DISASTER!!!!!!!
and XUbuntu 9.04??? Gnome panel + Xfce panel installed at the same time??? :S
Gnome power manager instead of Xfce power manager
there is A BAD Public Relations for KDE and XFCE on this arena!

At the end of the support, Next step will be ArchLinux or Slackware + XFCE

Code: Select all

http://tuxradar.com/content/slackware-made-easy#comment-3386
Do not support Ubuntu!
The only things they are good at is to supply big forums and enough "Wiki" help pages for the GNU applications < That is all they're good for.

Have a nice day. :wink:

Zach Thibeau

Re: Should I download Ubuntu GNU/Linux? NO!!!

#2 Post by Zach Thibeau »

I have no problem with ubuntu, probably because mine is compiled from source including my kernel and desktop environment :P I would say my ubuntu is a cross breed of gentoo and ubuntu.

Simon.T

#3 Post by Simon.T »

Hi Zach,
How are you? ;)
and thank you for joining!

(I see that Andrew changed your username...)

There are: Ubuntu (Gnome); KUbuntu (KDE); XUbuntu (Xfce)
And I'm using Ubuntu (Gnome) 8.10. I did not wrote what I think about Ubuntu (Gnome) 8.10, except that it's better than KUbuntu & XUbuntu, I wrote about the attention that this "Canonical" company is dedicating to the Xfce and KDE desktops which IMPO (yep, profesional) should be declared and release as an Alpha GNU/Linux Distribution, not to give it for the every day user! (Debian Xfce, KDE and even LXDE distributions are MUCH reliable than the non-gnome Ubuntu distros).

My problem is that Canonical is misrepresentation truth, this is not a nice thing to do. (duh!).

1) So far KDE & Xfce needed to be declared as Alpha-ware
2) Drivers (from ALL kinds) are available in the distro's repository 99.9999999% of the distributions. - Okay, so Ubuntu (as it seems) has its exclusive "Proprietary Drivers Manager" GUI called Jockey and on every detected hardware's note there is "Tested by the Ubuntu team" - okay, so? can you give us "More Information" it doesn't mean that this driver(s) made by you (Ubuntu/Canonical) - Welcome - Linux Wireless - you can get ALL Wireless/WiFi support with ArchLinux by entering only one command-line, without the needing to Reboot your machine and without a stupid "monopoly" Jockey GUI (Olny Ubuntu Has This Feature, "what will you all do without us?" - FALSE)
3) A vast majority of the softwares in the "Ubuntu repository" are already in Slackware, Debian etc. --- and by the way, most of the softwares don't getting updates (not even critical/security updates) < Get ArchLinux and you'll be and feel much more "Up-To-Date"

Ubuntu policies are shit < No support from me, anymore

one more to the Ubuntu hall of shame
Alacarte (Gnome menu editor) is installed on XUbuntu 9.04 - sometimes it is doing its job and most of the time !NOT! < so this is an "Official" GNU'Linux OS
when I opened a thread at Ubuntu Forums about these (and more) Xfce flaws, this thread (with 32 replies) deleted after two days and my account was blocked (still blocked) -- yep, 32 replies - only 2 days and THAT MUCH < and most of the users at this thread (mostly Gnome/Xfce users that are very interested in the future development of Xfce agreed with almost everything I said)

If you really want Ubuntu, get gNewSense, It's very reliable, NO LIES, guaranteed. - read article: gNewSense first impressions

and Zach:
probably because mine is compiled from source including my kernel and desktop environment
How long it took you to do that? :shock:

From now on: Ubuntu OS... GIVE US MONEY$$$$$$$$$
Last edited by Simon.T on Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zach Thibeau

#4 Post by Zach Thibeau »

took me long enough >_< the kernel was the longest part on starting a new system, got to make sure all kernel options I needed were selected options I needed for my hardware were selected etc, next step was getting x11/gnome compiled and setup too, needless to say it took a long time, and through this I have actually considered making my own *nix distro someday :P and nice find on the gnewsense

Simon.T

#5 Post by Simon.T »

Zach Thibeau wrote:took me long enough >_< the kernel was the longest part on starting a new system, got to make sure all kernel options I needed were selected options I needed for my hardware were selected etc, next step was getting x11/gnome compiled and setup too, needless to say it took a long time
ouch! you're brave, lol.
Zach Thibeau wrote:I have actually considered making my own *nix distro someday :P and nice find on the gnewsense
I'm looking forward for that!

1) I'm considering of making a Bookmark Management application GUI in GTK+ which will read Epiphany's .RDF Midori's .XBEL Mozilla's .JSON etc. so GNU'Linux users won't be needing to use Mozilla XUL shit any longer (mainly because the new .JSON bookmarks style dependency)
2) A theming GUI'd software for making Fluxbox themes/Styles - this must be very simple to do.

But I'm really busy now so I won't do it now
I'll start in march 2010 :(

Now I only have time (I hope) for a new blog against Mozilla. this blog will contain "tweaks & tips" for alternative GNU/Linux web browsers such as Arora, Epiphany, Midori, Konqueror etc.

AdBlocking, Supported user.js scripts, using a separate password manager when a decent web browser can't supply it (Midori + KeePassX) and much more.

Can you please help me with that blog?

teobromina

#6 Post by teobromina »

OK, I see. It seems that you do not like Ubuntu...

Well, I have to say that in the past I had tested, for the joy to know what happens and how work different GNU Linux OSs, more than a hundred distros, and in some cases more than 3 versions of them, collecting about 400 different installation or live disks. Now I only follow, for different reasons, Ubuntu and Slax.

I am not computer technician, on the contrary, I am an user in search of 'something' able to run according to my needs 'out of the box', because I do not have any experience in compiling or writting program code.

And what were my 'needs'? An OS as simple to use as possible. Which does not need almost any adjustments, able to replace Windows, and to run (by means of wine) most of my 'portable' apps. Recently my 'needs' included to be able to run a netbook I bought (Asus 1000H), recognizing all its peripheric devices, like screen wifi, webcam, etc. And able to run as well in my standard desktop computer (Not need to use two different OSs, one for the netbook and other for the 'box').

I have tested 'all' other OSs, specialy designed for netbooks (they said). Nevertheless, the best one of the OS I have tested, for the time being, is Ubuntu, after version 8.10. The kernel in the 9.04 was still better.

If one is long time Windows user, then one find very easy the change to Ubuntu, and not so easy the change to some other GNU Linux. This is the reason because I do not regret to use Ubuntu (Gnome desktop, of course).

Remember, that it is (still) 'free'.

*JT.

alanbcohen

#7 Post by alanbcohen »

It looks to me that you got as much value out of Ubuntu that you paid for it.
I'm not an Ubuntu fan; I've used mostly PCLinuxOS for several years as it well suits my needs. If Ubuntu doesn't satisfy yours, you can choose any of the other 300-400+ distributions out there (see Distrowatch.com for ideas).

But bad-mouthing something that doesn't suit you just makes you look bad.

Dwel

#8 Post by Dwel »

teobromina wrote:An OS as simple to use as possible. Which does not need almost any adjustments, able to replace Windows, and to run (by means of wine) most of my 'portable' apps.
you sound like you want to use sabayon. its great , right out of the box. atuo mounts all the hdd's and has compiz.

teobromina

#9 Post by teobromina »

Yes, Dwel, Sabayon was very good when I tested it.

But my main reason to choose Ubuntu, a Debian-based GNU-Linux instead, was that by using 'Remastersys Backup' (http://www.geekconnection.org/remasters ... stool.html), an utility designed for Debian and Ubuntu, which I install in the system after installation, I can produce my own Ubuntu-based distro, after deleting the apps. I do not need and installing the ones I like.

This is great:
- not only to design my prefered OS,
- but also to have a backup of my OS as I like, in order to recover it after a failure,
- or to have exactly the same configuration of the OS in all my computers
- or, since it yields a 'live' CD (or DVD), to make a demonstration to my friends without installing anything... 8)

tokicobrothers

#10 Post by tokicobrothers »

Hi Simon.T.

I understand your dislike of Ubuntu. One day, I was using my 3-month old Ubuntu installation (I had to reinstall it 4 times since when I bought the laptop) and I simply got FED UP of:

1. Old and obsolete software in the repositories, forcing me to add extra repositories or compile the packages from source.

2. The IT-ALL-WORKS shit. I want to learn at least the minimals of how a GNU/Linux system works.

3. No customization. I spent a whole afternoon trying to replace gnome-panel with lxpanel. I couldn't.

So I installed ArchLinux. I installed xorg, lxde and some other packages thru pacman. I LOVED IT. I loved pacman, I loved ABS, I loved the EXTREME customization, I LOVED EVERY LITTLE BIT OF THAT GREAT DISTRO!!!

But one day, after being with ONLY ArchLinux one week, I said to myself "Why am I doing this? I spent almost a day figuring out how to make my sound card work... And after a week, ArchLinux is not nearly as usable for a daily use as an out-of-the-box Ubuntu."

So I switched back to Ubuntu...

IS THERE ANY DISTRO BETWEEN UBUNTU AND ARCH LINUX???

Thanks.

Simon.T

#11 Post by Simon.T »

@teobromina
Thank you for joining.
About the Netbooks thing: have a look at:
Linpus
http://wiki.xfce.org/aceraspireone
http://www.linpus.com/

moblin
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=72991
http://moblin.org/

About the 'Remastersys Backup': when you're un-installing apps... including unnecessary dependencies?
alanbcohen wrote:It looks to me that you got as much value out of Ubuntu that you paid for it.
I'm not an Ubuntu fan; I've used mostly PCLinuxOS for several years as it well suits my needs. If Ubuntu doesn't satisfy yours, you can choose any of the other 300-400+ distributions out there (see Distrowatch.com for ideas).

But bad-mouthing something that doesn't suit you just makes you look bad.
You are right.
What I'm saying is that Ubuntu/Canonical are using the Ubuntu GNU/Linux OS for a commercial (commercial = like on TV & Radio; Advertisement) purposes, taking credits for things they did not do them-self, that's irritating and not nice. this is definitely NOT "choosing" but a monopoly kind of behavior and I'm against it.

@tokicobrothers
My brother!!! that is what I'm talking about! :mrgreen:
"I LOVED IT... But one day..." Exactly! (same problems as I have)
I hope to get in touch with you about that as soon as I can if I'll find something like that and about some other GNU solutions ;)

teobromina

#12 Post by teobromina »

Hi, Simon. I am still here :lol:

Basically I understand you when I read your comments and in some extent I share them. But I have to add that Ubuntu is the easiest way I have found to have more or less all the functionality that I enjoy when running Windows, including most of my portable apps.

The first Linux distro I got in my netbook was Limpux. And my main complain is that I could not add new programs neither had actualizations available. Therefore I unistalled Limpus, testing other different Linux: EasyPeasy (http://www.geteasypeasy.com/), Eeebuntu (http://www.eeebuntu.org/), Ubuntu Netbook Remix (http://www.canonical.com/projects/ubuntu/unr), Linux Mint (http://www.linuxmint.com/) etc. And finally standard Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/).

I discovered that the most influencing factor in the usability of all the peripherals was the kernel in the core of the distribution. I found that after Ubuntu 8.10, and all its derivatives above mentioned, the kernel was really adapted to the netbook architecture, recognizing all the hardware. Ubuntu 9.04 was still better, and now I am waiting for the next version of Ubuntu (9.10), with still improved (more modern) kernel.

About the software collection, almost all the programmers make executable binares for Windows and for Debian based Linux (included Ubuntu), for Suse or Fedora, but not for Slackware, Sabayon, etc. This is another factor to choose Ubuntu, because I do not like the Suse desktop and I do not see the advantage to use Fedora... :roll:

About to uninstalling apps before to make a Remastersys distro, the same remastersys program, at run time, advice to you to perform (as root) an "apt-get autoremove" operation. See: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=996053. It is really effective and easy. First you open a terminal. Then you type at prompt "sudo su". Then you give your root password, and then you type "apt-get autoremove", that is all... 8) bye bye unwanted dependencies. I think this is native to any Debian based system.

teobromina

#13 Post by teobromina »

One last(?) comment: Two years ago, I was in favour to small modular Linux distros. See the topic (http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... php?t=1258). The things have changed in two ways:

-The availability of bigger and cheaper USB drives (typically now over 8 Gb) broke my first constraint to maintain my software under the size of optical drives (700 Mb for CD, 1.4 and 4.7 Gb for DVD), therefore I do not need anymore to insist in use only small OSs, like DamnSmall Linux, Puppy or Slax. Ubuntu is not 'modular' at all, but with the help or remastersys I can manage the apps I want to be in my distro. So it is not bad approach.

-The irruption of netbooks made necessary to use an OS which was able to recognize and run wifi connections and webcams among other 'modern' peripheral devices. Then, a 'modern' kernel is just the solution. Some distros have a more cutting edge software, including the kernel, but Ubuntu makes a good balance between stability and full functionality.

I am not still totally satisfied with GNU Linux, and, as most of you, I like to try and try in search of the definitive software, but I honestly conclude that, at the present time, Ubuntu is not a bad solution. Let us see how good is the next 9.10 release... :wink: