what is a launcher?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
fang-face

what is a launcher?

#1 Post by fang-face »

Hello, TPFC.
i am quite confused about this term. i hope it is not a silly question, but even if it was i still don't know the answer. even after searching the forum and finding e.g. this post i still don't get it. my understanding at the moment is, that there are at least 2 different things called "launchers":

type 1: programmes like portable start menu, pstart (haven't used it yet), rocket dock, portable apps start menu, which serve as a convenient starter/ start menu for other programmes. they have nothing to do with portablizing an application (?).

type 2: programmes like (from the PA.com suite) .\xyPortable.exe or (JPE) .\xy.exe, which start .\App\xy\xy.exe (PA.com) or .\JPE\ProgramFiles\xy\xy.exe (JPE) and take care, that the latter will start in a portable way (that is take care, that no system changes are performed (JPE) or that such changes are taken back (PA.com)(2 subtypes?): correct?). this/these type(s) is/ are also known as "wrapper" (in JPE-context i would like the terms "jaunter", "jaunting", "jaunted", ... as freakazoid suggested).

so (äh ..., what is my question now? ...) is my understanding correct? if not, what is?

greetings.

alanbcohen

Re: what is a launcher?

#2 Post by alanbcohen »

Actually, I think you have a quite accurate understanding of the two primary uses of the word 'launcher'. Since it can be confusing, I try to be consistent in using your second definition as the primary one for me.
Please be aware that many applications you find here do not need a launcher; they are coded as to not require one in the first place. But virtually all applications at PortableApps.com do have a launcher, usually because the original publisher did not make them registry-free. (Some applications will be found here in their native format and described as 'portable' and still have a PAF version; these are largely where the author of the portable version wants to configure the app to use the PAF app/data directory distinctions and use the PortableApps backup tools, designed for that file structure.

fang-face

Re: what is a launcher?

#3 Post by fang-face »

sorry for the late reply, but thank you for the answer.
alanbcohen wrote:Actually, I think you have a quite accurate understanding of the two primary uses of the word 'launcher'.
I'm glad to hear that, since it means that i can trust my thoughts.
Since it can be confusing, I try to be consistent in using your second definition as the primary one for me.
Unfortunately many people do not. that's why i and probably others get confused about it and i'd like clear definitions about what is a "starter", "launcher", "wrapper", ... . If there is a new programme called a "launcher" by its developer, so what does that mean? Is he using definition 2, or 1, or some other?
Please be aware that many applications you find here do not need a launcher; they are coded as to not require one in the first place.
That was also a thought of mine: the launcher is NEEDED in order to start the app portably. if it is bypassed (starting .\App\xy\xy.exe directly) the app won't start without system changes.

Some applications will be found here in their native format and described as 'portable' and still have a PAF version;
Aha, good to know, thanks for making that clear to me.