Evernote

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
alexpach

EverNote Portable Beta

#1 Post by alexpach »

Hi,

I currently work for EverNote. We just released a beta version of EverNote 2.0 for portable devices. It is 9Mb (and includes help file). It is free and available here:

http://www.evernote.com/en/products/eve ... rtable.php - Info

http://www.evernote.com/en/downloads/re ... tePortable - Download

Hope you will include it in your database. Thanks,

-Alex

risk

#2 Post by risk »

Thanks for this freeware and for the announcement here.

Is there a way to control where the My EverNote Files goes? It now is written to the root of the drive.

alexpach

#3 Post by alexpach »

Yeah, you can edit all the options in the ENOptions.xml file that is located with the program.

Hope this helps,

-Alex

risk

#4 Post by risk »

Alex, I can edit the Backup and Import file paths.

I can open a database from any place I want and the app will remember that.

The only thing is it keeps creating the My EverNote Files on the root and puts an AppData folder there!

Thanks.

alexpach

#5 Post by alexpach »

Hmm... yeah, I see the problem... it still creates the My EverNote Files/Appdata folder. I will ask the developers what can be done about that.

Meanwhile, you can edit anything in that file. The trick is not to have a letter in your path, as E:/ just have the path begin with /some_folder/ this makes it relative from the root of the given drive.

Thanks for pointing it out.

-Alex

risk

#6 Post by risk »

Alex, one more thing. Looks like the last open document setting is written to the registry.

If the registry entries are deleted or if the app is opened on a new PC and the default directory, My EverNote Files, is not on the root of the drive, it is created and the default EverNote.enb is also created and opened.

Thanks.

alexpach

#7 Post by alexpach »

Got a solution from developers.

Just add a link to the ENOptions.xml that says:

<DefaultEverNotePath TEXT="\Folder_for_EverNote\Path\" />

This will set the default location to anything you want.

Hope this helps,

-Alex

SeanJohnShaffer

Re: EverNote Portable Beta

#8 Post by SeanJohnShaffer »

The first link just takes me to the Homepage. The second link is broken. Is there an updated link available? Thanks in advance.

alanbcohen

#9 Post by alanbcohen »

Did you notice the post dates? This thread is over 2.5 YEARS old. A lot can change in that amount of time. I'd suggest contacting the publisher directly for more current information.

SeanJohnShaffer

#10 Post by SeanJohnShaffer »

Most sites do not change the download location of a file. They were not direct download links, therefore the links should still be active. However, I did investigate and it turns out that the portable version was a one-day-only opportunity available from Giveaway Of The Day.

ashghost

#11 Post by ashghost »

SeanJohnShaffer: It was a Giveaway of the Day last year because it was in a closed beta at that time (it was free to beta testers, portable or not). It is now freeware with a premium version. The standalone portable download was also pretty short-lived. Since version 3.0, the standard (installed) version includes an "Install Evernote Portable..." function. You can install, create a portable version, then uninstall - or use Sandboxie.

I'm surprised that nobody's submitted it again since then - perhaps part of the reason is the small ad banner in the free version. I haven't used it much, but it is portable.

Cheers.

SeanJohnShaffer

#12 Post by SeanJohnShaffer »

Thanks for the info ashghost. I will have a look at that. I use it frequently for saving sites that hold tutorials or information that may be of use later on.

Andrew Lee

Evernote

#13 Post by Andrew Lee »

Application name: Evernote

Date tested: 2006-05-13

Reason: Writes settings to registry and user profile folder.

donald

Re: EverNote

#14 Post by donald »

Has anyone looked into this??
ashghost wrote:Since version 3.0, the standard (installed) version includes an "Install Evernote Portable..." function. You can install, create a portable version, then uninstall - or use Sandboxie. ... it is portable.
Has anyone else tested for portability? (freeware version)

USB_Kx

#15 Post by USB_Kx »