Dropbox Portable

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
greg.webhop

Dropbox Portable

#1 Post by greg.webhop » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:41 am

Name: Dropbox Portable v0.6.557

Category: Internet - Miscellaneous

Synopsis: Dropbox allows you to sync your files online and across computers. You must have a dropbox account to use this program (http://www.getdropbox.com)

Writes settings to: Application folder

How to extract: Download the ZIP package and extract to a folder of your choice. Launch the program by double-clicking on DropboxPortable.exe.

License: Freeware

System Requirements: Win2K / WinXP / Vista

Link/Download: http://greg.webhop.net/dropbox_portable/

Note: This program uses AutoIt and has no dependencies. There is another other version that requires the .NET framework.

Update: Put a new version addresses Windows Vista issues
Last edited by greg.webhop on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ashghost

Re: Dropbox Portable

#2 Post by ashghost » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:39 am

It doesn't work for me. DropboxPortable.exe uses a fairly constant percentage of my CPU and about 8 MB of RAM, so I waited (5 minutes) for something to happen, but the only visible effect was the creation of a "Data" folder with an empty "Application Data" subfolder.

I'm running Vista Ultimate (32-bit) on an AMD X2 5200+ with 4 GB of ram. I tried copying my existing Dropbox settings from %APPDATA%\Roaming\Dropbox to that "Application Data" folder and ran it again; still nothing.

All of the tracebacks in dropbox.exe.log look like this:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dropbox.py", line 3, in <module>
  File "zipextimporter.pyc", line 82, in load_module
  File "arch\__init__.pyc", line 8, in <module>
  File "zipextimporter.pyc", line 82, in load_module
  File "arch\win32\globals.pyc", line 16, in <module>
com_error: (-2147024893, 'The system cannot find the path specified.', None, None)
Should it just work on first run (asking for account information, etc.), or is something else required? Is my existing Dropbox installation interfering somehow?

greg.webhop

#3 Post by greg.webhop » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:11 am

I should have mentioned this does now work on Windows Vista at this time

webfork

#4 Post by webfork » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:18 pm

I *really* love dropbox and *really* want a portable version so I appreciate your work on this very much. However:

1. If possible, please include the AutoIt script you used. I'm both curious about the code as everyone keeps talking about AutoIt AND for making non-portable software portable using an also-portable software.

2. I may be needlessly complicating the testing process by throwing another program into the mix here ... but here's some results both with and without Sandboxie. The short version: don't run it under Sandboxie.

This program pretty clearly isn't "stealth," but I don't know if that means its not portable.

* Saves these to application data directory: dropbox.db-journal, host.db
* Tries to modify the registry to open the program at startup
* Tries to modify the registry to change shell folders, which makes sense because regular DropBox has you right-click on files to copy the share URL.
* Also seems to save a bunch of shit in your temporary internet folder. Not really sure if its trying to open a web browser and sandboxie won't let it or what's going on here.

Unfortunately, both with Sandboxiea and then later as normal using Comodo I blocked these changes, so I couldn't fully test the program to see that it really works. It did successfully connect to Dropbox in both cases. It wasn't fully useful, however.

Under Sandboxie, the program seems to open the "My Dropbox" folder repeatedly for some weird reason. It doesn't stop until you close the program, which is very annoying. There were some other problems but after this I gave up.

Hope some of that helps.

greg.webhop

#5 Post by greg.webhop » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:44 pm

Just put a new version out that addresses the issue with Windows Vista

greg.webhop

#6 Post by greg.webhop » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:36 pm

New version v0.6.557. Updated first post accordingly

-.-

#7 Post by -.- » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:14 pm

nice works fine for me :D

guinness

#8 Post by guinness » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:26 am

Are you looking at updating this for the V0.7.x branch or even better V0.8.x? Seems the .NET variation isn't being updated by the developer, just a user of DropboxPortable. Especially when you consider the new V0.8.x doesn't work anymore with this version.
Added 179 Applications: Portable

dreamcaster

#9 Post by dreamcaster » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:06 am

Hello and thanks for this great forum.
Greg thanks for your work on a portable dropbox.

I writing here because I'm having a problem with your app. I can't sync the folders and I can't choose as a sync folder my pen drive :( I'm running the latest version available on your website.

As soon as I have it up and running I'll write a full review of the software on my blog.

guinness

#10 Post by guinness » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:12 pm

Latest Version of Dropbox or Gregs App? Because I think Dropbox Portable (Gregs App) needs to be updated and support V0.7.110 of Dropbox. By updating the EXE's in the App folder will not work because the structure of Dropbox has changed over time. And with the beta stage of V0.8.XX starting to emerge, it will need to be updated again because of a drastic change in structure.

dreamcaster

#11 Post by dreamcaster » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:23 am

dreamcaster wrote:Hello and thanks for this great forum.
Greg thanks for your work on a portable dropbox.

I writing here because I'm having a problem with your app. I can't sync the folders and I can't choose as a sync folder my pen drive :( I'm running the latest version available on your website.

As soon as I have it up and running I'll write a full review of the software on my blog.
Already have it working :) you can check it on http://dr3amcast3r.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... tableapps/
and btw, if you think it worth's, check the rest of the blog and rate the posts. and don't forget to help Social Vibe :)

joby_toss

#12 Post by joby_toss » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:42 pm

This is the best portable version for Dropbox so far, no questions about it!
It works with the latest stable version: 0.7.110.
It doesn't require .net.

It does however leave behind the file "SQLite3.dll" in "System32" folder (if it wasn't already on the system).

I hope it will have a next version!

Thanks!

guinness

#13 Post by guinness » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:48 am

I don't understand why all the other versions of Dropbox Portable code in C#? I hope this AutoIt will be updated to be compliant with 0.8.x branch.