Basic Question

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
JustaUser

Basic Question

#1 Post by JustaUser »

Can apps that have been portabilized by JauntPE be run from a Bart's PE CD? (So that usually the system drive is X: )

crownixx

Re: Basic Question

#2 Post by crownixx »

I never test this out yet but in my opinion, the portable applications build using JauntePE should run well regardless where the system drive is located.

JauntePE uses special folder numbers to represent file system path locations that might change when portable applications run on different Windows operating systems or computers. The use of uses special folder numbers allows the application profile information to instantly migrate to different operating systems. 

For example, you might build an application on a system that has C:\Programs Files as the directory and run the application on a system that has X:\Programs Files as the directory. JauntePE transparently converts C:\Programs Files to %38% during the portablizing process and expands %38% to X:\Programs Files during runtime for that system.

To understand what i said about expand on runtime is: try portablized 7-Zip using JPE Quickie. Use _Normal3 configuration ini so that JauntePE can also handle special folder path in the registry. When done, try running the portable 7-Zip. using the 7-zip file manager, browse to Program Files directory and you will see the 7-Zip directory program exist in it. Now browse to Program Files directory normally using your explorer and the 7-Zip directory program is actually does not exist