PStart and KeePass cooperation

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
cmmehl

PStart and KeePass cooperation

#1 Post by cmmehl »

Howdy all,

I can't seem to get Pstart and KeePass to work together the way I want it. I would like to have a particular DB opened when starting KeePass from PStart.

KeePass offers commandline options, but when entering these into the "Command Line Prameters" field of Pstart, it doesn't work. I have entered there for example F:\_Private\MyDb.kbd when my USB drive had the drive-letter F, and I have also tried %pdrive%:\_Private\MyDb.kbd or %pdrive%\_Private\MyDb.kbd, none worked.

Has someone been able to get this to work and would share the correct syntax with me?

Thanks in advance!
Chris

Darkbee

#2 Post by Darkbee »

I just tried it and it worked for me...

Did you try putting double quotes around your entire parameter? This is usually vital if your directory names contain spaces, but apparently you should also include even for names that don't have any spaces.

"%pdrive%\_Private\MyDb.kbd"
(once again, you must include the double quotes)

Try the above, it should work.

cmmehl

#3 Post by cmmehl »

Hi darkbee,

thx for your reply!

I tried it with the quotes, exactly like you described it, but no joy. Anyway, I like the prog and to open the DB manually is no major hassle, I'll live with it.

Cheers
Chris

Darkbee

#4 Post by Darkbee »

I don't wish to insult your intelligence but are you sure that you are specifying the path to your password database correctly? If you typed in the directory path manually, perhaps you put a space where it shouldn't be or changed the case or some letters? Or you're using forward-slash instead of back-slash?

The parameter that I described above works for me so I can't see why it shouldn't work for you also. As far as I know I haven't changed anything in KeePass itself that would affect the ability of this working.

remialdo

#5 Post by remialdo »

there is an option on KeePass to open the last database used at start

Darkbee

#6 Post by Darkbee »

remialdo wrote:there is an option on KeePass to open the last database used at start
Yes, but this is a problem if the drive letter keeps changing for each computer that you use. Whilst it might be possible to change the drive letter on some computers to all be the same, this may not be possible on public computers. This does actually happen to me since I use my drive a lot at university so I can never guarantee that the drive letter will always be the same.

The original solution does not have this problem and works whatever the drive letter. The only reason I'm raving about it is because I'm puzzled as to why cmmehl can't get it to work. It's bugging me and I'm sure there must be a logical explanation.

cmmehl

#7 Post by cmmehl »

Darkbee wrote:I don't wish to insult your intelligence ...
Glad to hear that :-)
Darkbee wrote:... but are you sure that you are specifying the path to your password database correctly? If you typed in the directory path manually, perhaps you put a space where it shouldn't be or changed the case or some letters? Or you're using forward-slash instead of back-slash?
I actually tried all of this, and even copy/pasted from your post, all with the same result. Unless you know of another setting, maybe in combination with the commandline, I would assume that it's an exception that it works on your computers. On mine, it doesn't ...

Chris

Darkbee

#8 Post by Darkbee »

I tried :(

If it's any consolation, it doesn't work on my Apple Mac! :twisted:

XPect

#9 Post by XPect »

Work fine for me, I just used relative path for the DB in the command line parameter of PStart
example: ..\..\DatabaseDir\Database.kdb
Relative path start from the directory where keepass is stored.

spchtr

#10 Post by spchtr »

You can use a batch file to make the usb drive mirror on a specific drive letter all the time.

subst u: \

if run in a batch file from the root of the usb drive, will cause a U:\ to appear in "My Computer" This drive will be an exact mirror of whatever drive the usb drive is. To 'pseudounmount' this mirror, you would have another batch file with

subst /d u:

which would then remove the mirror from the system, you would do this before performing the safe unmount. This would allow you to use absolute paths, as well as things like last opened file. You can do this even from a guest account, and do not have to have administrator priveliges to use the subst command.

I saw a similar thing in either this forum or the portableapps.com forum which they have an autorun.inf, which gives you the option of 'substituting' the drive letter from a mount.bat which uses subst to put the drive on u: then starts pstart from the batch file after pstart closes then it will remove the u: drive copy a batch file and an exe which allows the safe removal of the usb drive to a temp directory, then changes to the c: and calls the batch file in the temp directory, which then runs the safe removal exe and then deletes the removal exe and the batch file from the temp directory.

It's a nice little way to have the usb drive end up on the same drive every time on each computer. The subst command works in XP and 2000, I'm not sure about any using the 98 kernel. such as 98 or ME.