QuickWayToFolders

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
crownixx

QuickWayToFolders

#1 Post by crownixx »

Found this while searching for my JPE project

http://jacquelin.potier.free.fr/QuickWayToFolders/

Synopsis
QuickWayToFolders provides quick folder content access.
The four display possibilites are
- Desktop : Act like your desktop, with possibility of navigate through subfolders
- Small Browser : Act like windows explorer
- Menu : Display folder content in menu
- Multiple Folders Menu : Display multiple folders content in a single menu
Each entry is added to the taskbar notification area (near to windows clock).

How to extract:
Download the ZIP package and extract to a folder of your choice. Launch QuickWayToFolders.exe. "Options" dialog box will be appear on first run. Under "Application Option", set "Configuration Type" to "Single User" and untick "Launch At Windows Startup"

joby_toss

Re: QuickWayToFolders

#2 Post by joby_toss »

QuickWayToFolders v1.2.1 up (sept. 29).

donald

#3 Post by donald »

I have added QuickWayToFolders to my favorites
it is at http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1630

Vote your preference.

It is a wonderful application, I believe worth adding to the database.

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

I really didn't understand this program's description so I decided to download it and try to figure out how to describe it.

Added:
  • A note to the entry about unchecking the "Launch at Windows Startup"
  • How it can work as a program launcher and added it to that category
  • Can run multiple instances
I like the idea, the license, and it only uses 7 megs of RAM, and certainly dig the obvious simplicity. However, this program seems like a beta software to me.
  • Root folder can't be changed beyond the set view options. For example if you want a quick view of various thumbnails in a window to pop up, that has to be a sub-directory.
  • Has anyone actually gotten the window background to change? I've got a JPG it refuses to use either with a relative (file.jpg) or hard (c:\docs\file.jpg) link.
  • Crashy. After changing modes and adding some folders, the program crashed and I had to do a ctrl+alt+del to End Task the program so it would leave the task bar. Twice.
Anyone had similar experiences? Is this something I should submit to the dev or am I missing something?

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

QuickWayToFolders (current version is 1.2.10) got rather more polished recently and is quietly turning into a must have...

I posted a quick and dirty recipe to use it as a native multi-desktop manager at its database entry:
www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1630#comment24276

Midas

#6 Post by Midas »

Topic update: QuickWayToFolders v1.3.8 released 2020-11-15 (changelog at jacquelin.potier.free.fr/QuickWayToFolders/history.php).

Portability info from homepage:
- First Set "Configuration Type" to "Single User" mode (all configuration files are stored in QuickWayToFolders directory)
- Next use "System Special Path"or relative path for each Folder Shortcut Options (For relative path, path is relative to QuickWayToFolders directory)
- For Desktop/Browser configuration, if you are using a background picture, use relative path for the picture path

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

Just a note for those that come across this *highly* configurable program -- there's one way to set it up described in another thread for quickly distributing files and folders.