FreePDFEditor

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Cornflower

FreePDFEditor

#1 Post by Cornflower »

This is a small PDF creator, supporting both text and inserted bitmap images and capable of saving as a single- or multi-page PDF file. Relatively intuitive, it creates quick, simple PDF files. Fonts are limited to Arial, TImes New Roman, or Fixed-Width. Layout is by creating various text or image boxes, rectangles, or ovals.

It is called an Editor, but only if you save it in its .fpe format--it cannot edit PDF files. It also allows you to a choice of page layouts, and allows document properties (metadata)

Portability: No dependencies created. All settings saved in a .xml file.
Installation: none - save the single .exe file to a directory and run it.

HomePage: http://www.freepdfeditor.net
Download: http://www.freepdfeditor.net/FreePDFEditor.exe

perwhis

#2 Post by perwhis »

I tried it, but did not find any xml-file with settings. Where can I find it?

I made a quick reg-dump with regshot, but could not tell if the program wrote to the registry or not. I find it likely that it does write to the registry though. If someone more skilled than me could check this out better it would be great. :)

I am Baas

#3 Post by I am Baas »

perwhis wrote:I tried it, but did not find any xml-file with settings. Where can I find it?
File --> Save as... the file has .fpe extension
Free PDF Editor use one XML file to save all details about your PDF files, the file extension is ".fpe", You can save and backup these (.fpe) files for your next time use.

Drutt

#4 Post by Drutt »

Great portable, tested here and works fine!
Only reg entries that are created are windows related.

The program itself doesn't have any configurable options, so no associated 'settings file' is created. Instead, options are configured for each document you make, and these settings can be saved to an xml file with the .fpe extension.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

_drutt

perwhis

#5 Post by perwhis »

Thanks guys for clearing things out. I will at once add this app to my stealth section in my portables folder. I've only had OpenOffice Portable to make pdf-files before. I have also used the great program PDF-Xchange viewer to make some pdf-files, by "adding comments and pictures" to a blank pdf-file. This is not as easy as this program though.

Many thanks!

(By the way, is there no way to make a portable version of a pdf print driver, such as e.g. PDF-Creator?)

Lupo73

#6 Post by Lupo73 »

@perwhis: not possible, because these apps need to create virtual printers that can't be portable. :roll:

Andrew Lee

Re: FreePDFEditor v1.3

#7 Post by Andrew Lee »

There doesn't seem to be anyway to enable wordwrap in text blocks. So each text block can only have a single line. Isn't that a major showstopper?

Cornflower

Re: FreePDFEditor v1.3

#8 Post by Cornflower »

Word wrap was the default for me, so I never gave it a thought, Andrew.
In fact, I cannot turn off wordwrap in FreePDFEditor! Hmmm....