Cathy - disc cataloging tool

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
perwhis

Cathy - disc cataloging tool

#1 Post by perwhis »

This extremely tiny disc cataloging tool is listed in the rejected apps list, but since version 2.26 there is a way to make it totally portable, not writing to the registry.

The program is the fastest I've used, and I use it many times each day. I mainly use it to find files on the LAN where I have more than 1 000 000 files indexed. The indexing process is very fast, but only index the file names and folder names. In my case I still find about 99% of the files this way. (Else I use Copernic (not portable) to index contents of files.)

Place the text file cathy.reg with the below contents in the same folder as cathy.exe, and start the program with cathy.exe -ini cathy.reg (e.g. by a batch file or by using PStart). This makes the program fully portable.

Edit: Make sure the text file is saved using ascii code!

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\rOva\Cathy]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\rOva\Cathy\CopyFormats]
"C0"="Standard|$V\\t$S\\t$N\\t$T\\t$X\\t$C\\t$F"
"C1"="Brief|$V\\t$C"
"S0"="Standard|$P\\\\$F\\t$L\\t$T\\t$V\\t$C"
"S1"="Fullname|$D$P\\\\$F"
"S2"="Name|$F"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\rOva\Cathy\Directories]
"0"="0,"
"1"="0,C:\\"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\rOva\Cathy\Format]
"Result"="%y-%m-%d"
"Dir"="%y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"
"Catalog"="%y-%m-%d %H:%M"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\rOva\Cathy\Ignored]
"0"="0,"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\rOva\Cathy\Patterns]
"0"="0,"
"1"="0,"
"2"="0,"
"3"="0,"
"4"="0,"
"5"="0,"
"6"="0,"
"7"="0,"
"8"="0,"
"9"="0,"
"10"="0,"
"11"="0,"
"12"="0,"
"13"="0,"
"14"="0,"
"15"="0,"
"16"="0,"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\rOva\Cathy\Recent File List]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\rOva\Cathy\Settings]
"Used"=dword:00000039
"MaxHits"=dword:0000270f
"Numbered"=dword:0000001d
"ColumnWidthResult"="200,75,75,100,400,240"
"ColumnWidthDirectory"="210,120,75,75"
"ColumnWidthCatalog"="135,120,100,60,164,110,240,240,240"
"WindowPos"="0,1,-1,-1,-1,-1,141,135,909,667"

To automate the indexing, use CathyCmd.exe.

The programs can be found at http://www.mtg.sk/rva/.

Some reviews can be read at http://www.snapfiles.com/opinions/Cathy/Cathy.html.

/Perwhis

P.S. This is my first post here, but I am so impressed by this software I had to share it with you. I hope this program will also be considered to be put in the real Portable Freeware Collection, so it does not only stay in this forum.
Last edited by perwhis on Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Local

#2 Post by Local »

Nice app, good instructions but still not portable.

I launched with cathy.exe -ini with the reg file in the folder and all the settings go to current user\software\rOva\

Any other ideas?

perwhis

#3 Post by perwhis »

Local wrote:Nice app, good instructions but still not portable.

I launched with cathy.exe -ini with the reg file in the folder and all the settings go to current user\software\rOva\

Any other ideas?

You probably forgot to add the "cathy.reg" after "-ini". Does your batch-file look like this?

@echo off
cathy.exe -ini cathy.reg
exit

The reg-file has to be ascii and not unicode.

I normally run it with PStart, so I don't get the cmd-window, but the batch file works as well. Under the menu Help --> Tips & Hints there is an explanation of how to make it portable, but I wanted to give you the instruction so that you did not have to start the app and get the reg written to at all. However, not much is written so it is easy to remove after you have made the app portable.

I keep my fingers crossed it works for you this time. :)

Local

#4 Post by Local »

::EDIT::

I tried again altering the batch a little but still no go.

I have checked out the instructions though and noticed this

"If you want to start Cathy as portable application, use the parameter
-ini cathy.reg , where cathy.reg is the export of registry entries for
Cathy saved as simple ASCII-file (not UNICODE). This file will be read
instead of registry entries, but no change will be written back to it"

You can take your settings with you, but you cannot change them from the program and it leaves traces on the host.

So yes it is portable, to an extent, just not stealth.

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss »

Cathy is the only cataloging tool i use for my dvd-s and yes, it is the best (for my purpose). The method mentioned here for making it portable works, but i think it has a flaw: does not allow you to save the changed settings that you might do. Wouldn't be more suitable to have a batch file that imports the saved reg file into the registry then export them back after the program closes (allowing you to keep the changed settings)?
The best solution would be of course to make the program use only a ini file and not the registry at all, but this is only possible for Robert Vašíček.
Also i have another problem: i have a folder with about 900 catalogs and not using a single database for all of them is sad .
Overall the program is a winner.

Later edit:
I've just made a portable version of Cathy using Portable Apps Creation Master 1.6 (the difference is that the settings you change are preserved).

Code: Select all

==================================================
Filename          : Cathy_portable.7z
Download link     : http://www.mediafire.com/?bzyds2l0ec1
MD5               : a2c58cfa3a658edf93633e472b15ce32
SHA1              : 24c3e788927799012d68f788982fef2d11aa9c9b
CRC32             : 5d9595f1
Created Time      : 25.10.2008 17:06:13 (GMT+2)
File Size         : 970226
==================================================
Hope anyone finds it useful!

castman

#6 Post by castman »

I don't believe nobody asked. Is it better than Visual CD?

I use VisualCD together with FolderStyle and that actually fit my needs. Is it something similar to Lister?

perwhis

The author will correct the writing to the registry

#7 Post by perwhis »

Hi,

I contacted the author of the program, who with an impressivly quick response, answered that he will correct the writing to the registry. (He told during next week, but let's keep an eye on his site, to see when there is an update. http://www.mtg.sk/rva/)

When it comes to castman's question, I guess there is no clear answer of which is better. It depends on your needs and your preferences. Cathy is extremely lean and have a footprint of only 50 kB. It is also very fast, compared to other porgrams I have tested. The GUI is not fancy but quick and functional when you have got hold on how it works. I've been using it for years, but still find new ways to utilise its built in functions. I use the program for cataloging my cds, dvds and external harddisks. This I do manually. Then I have automated the index updates of my LAN and my internal harddisks. When I come to a new computer, this program is often the one I lack the most.

joby_toss

#8 Post by joby_toss »

This is great news!
Any chance you would convince him to use a zip file or other method so all the catalogs would become one database (single file on hdd)?

perwhis

Single database file?

#9 Post by perwhis »

joby_toss wrote:This is great news!
Any chance you would convince him to use a zip file or other method so all the catalogs would become one database (single file on hdd)?
Well, why don't you give it a try yourself? He seems like a very nice guy! If you, like me, give him a tiny donation, then it might be even easier to convince him. :)

By the way, why do you want one big database? For me it is perfect that they are separated, so that I easily can choose which to search from, or if I want to move them or group them. I have after asking the author also introduced this program at work, where different work groups are separated by using different database files. I have created shortcuts for the groups, so that they can easily choose what area they will search in. With only one single database file I don't think I could have been this flexible, without asking the author about integrating the functions in the program.

perwhis

Program is soon here

#10 Post by perwhis »

I just want to update you on the work with the stealth version of Cathy. I today got an update from Robert, and after a check with Regshot I can confirm it is now working without writing to the registry or leaving any files behind. Still you need to use the procedure described in the first post, to make it portable.

Unfortunately no changes to the settings are saved when you use it as a portable version. He has not yet uploaded the new version on his homepage, but I'm pretty sure it will be done within a few days. (I sent the feedback to him only a few minutes ago.)

Onesimus Prime

#11 Post by Onesimus Prime »

joby_toss' PACM solution works pretty well for me. It's nice to be able to save the changed settings. Thanks for your work, joby_toss!
The program's root key isn't removed in joby_toss' version, though. To fix that, I added the following italicized line to portable2.reg between the already-there non-italicized lines:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\rOva]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\rOva\Cathy]

joby_toss

#12 Post by joby_toss »

The reason for that was because i also use ThirdDir and WinSoko applications made by Robert Vašíček and i need that "rOva" registry root. I kinda' forgot about that, sorry :) !

perwhis

Portability bug fixed

#13 Post by perwhis »

Now the bug for portability is fixed and the program is now truely stealth. The updated version can be downloaded at http://www.mtg.sk/rva/.

I hope this program now will be considered a candidate for TPFC.

joby_toss

Re: Cathy disc cataloging tool, now portable.

#14 Post by joby_toss »

I would very much like Cathy to be submitted to the database, but I don't know what would be the best way to do it.

I believe Darkbee was the first one to mention this app in the forums, and Perwhis the one who provided the right method to make it portable (first post in this topic).
It is however a little too much info for the first page.

Do you think Cathy is TPFC material giving the actual tweaking method? I do!

It even works without flaw on 64bit windows 7. Now, this is some good programing!

perwhis

Re: Cathy disc cataloging tool, now portable.

#15 Post by perwhis »

I had given up the hope of getting Cathy into TPFC, so was happy to see there may still be a chance. I personally don't find it more complicated to make Cathy portable than many other programs, so maybe it is enough to write the same as the author write in his 'Tips & Hints'?

If it is too complicated for some people to work with the registry (that was why I copied my reg in the first post) maybe we instead can make a short bat/cmd-file that after the first start saves the reg data to a file and removes it? However, this might interfere with other programs from the author, if I have understood it correctly. (I don't use his other programs, so not sure about how he uses the registry.)