Disk Redactor doesn't wipe the disk

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
Kea

Disk Redactor doesn't wipe the disk

#1 Post by Kea »

I tested Disk Redactor on my USB stick. First I used Disk Redactor to erase all deleted files. Then I went on with Recuva to recover the files that supposedly was erased. About 50 % of the erased files was possible to recover! Amongst the recovered files were GIMP (completely) and lots of text and image files, and the earlier deleted pwsafe.psafe3 (the password container) from Password Safe. A bit scary :shock:

joby_toss

#2 Post by joby_toss »

Maybe Recuva is way better than it should :) .

Kea

#3 Post by Kea »

It might be...

But one possibility popped up: Is there a difference between files deleted from a hard disk and files deleted from a USB device? I don't know, so I tried. I used Disk Redactor on G:\ - a drive on one of my hard disks. As I hardly ever use that drive, it only contained very few files. But Recuva recovered two deleted files (after Disk Redactor) - one .TXT and one .KEY. I opened both and there was no problem with that.

Furthermore: Files that has been deleted from G to the "Recycle bin" doesn't even need Recuva. In spite of Disk Redactor they can be restored from the Recycle bin...

CEZEO Software says: "Disk Redactor is a disk wipe utility that prevents deleted files on your media (which includes hard and floppy disks, and even flash drives) from being recovered."

But that is not true!

Kea

#4 Post by Kea »

Or is it Recuva that "recovers" files that has never been deleted? I tried again, first with Disk Redactor and then with Recuva. Recuva recovered 1862 files, but most of them was already present, visible and fully functional on the drive.

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss »

Security related applications should never raise such problems. Don't waste your time on this one (i'm not saying it's a bad written app or full of bugs but this issues should never come up). Please notice that it is the last one in Secure Deletion category (popularity).

Kea

#6 Post by Kea »

Thanks. I didn't saw that. Btw I had a discussion with the author last night. He appears to regard the result I get as impossible (or very strange), but the comments on Disk Redactor show that I'm not the only one...