Defragmentors crashing

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
portackager

Defragmentors crashing

#1 Post by portackager »

Defraggler and JKDefrag both crash when I run them, for JKDefrag it usually gets around to 11% of analyzing and then crashes, Defraggler crashes after 8% of analyzing, my HD space is at 4% at the moment, it was much lower.

I'm also using a different anti-virus, AVG 8.0 Free version, I was using Norton before my subscription ran out, I had to scurry and find a new Anti-Virus ($60 is a lot for updating a subscription!!) On another note Norton usually cleaned up and defragmented my computer in the background automatically, I haven't manually defragged in months!

So yeah the Windows Defragger is complaining of too little space, to defragment. 13% I think is required, and I only have 4% of free space. Right now I'm just picking up the clutter, I have tons of installers and apps laying around. I usually download an app uniexract and then keep the archive, for whatever reason perhaps if the file became corrupt. I don't know. It became a habit lol.

Back to the crashing, anyone know what could be the issue? I've read that I should try it in safe mode, perhaps the anti-virus and defragmentors are conflicting with each other? I've used both forementioned defragmentors a couple months ago and they never crashed before, infact I recall gaining some space after defragmenting with Defraggler, so maybe it is the conflicting?

Strange.

I'M SUCH A PACK RAT! :twisted: :lol:

Here's some info

Windows XP Professional Media Center Edition 2005 SP2
4% = 4 GB out of 150 GB Hard-Drive space
Had it for 1 year.

Local

#2 Post by Local »

first thing to do is check your drive consistency.
I've not heard of anti-viruses conflicting with defragmenters but a couple of small errors on your disk will throw it all off.

I recommend chekdisk or norton disk doctor.
(Disk doctor writes to the reg if that's important to you but can be run from the cd if you still have it)
Windows disk check should be run on restart too but it does not have a decent log or or verbose setting.

Let us know how you get on.