Thinstall compiling error

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
bellerofonte63

Thinstall compiling error

#1 Post by bellerofonte63 »

I am trying to thinstall Zingarelli 2005 for using it through USB does anyone know what this compiling error is:
"The file %ProgramFilesDir%\ZAN.EXE is not an executable image, cannot build."
and how can I fix it.
Regards,
Andrea

M@tty

#2 Post by M@tty »

You haven't given any download links or enough information at all really.

Thinstall gives you this message when you try to point to a standard file, such as an ASCII text file, and thus it cannot find a program entry-point. Are you sure Zingarelli is installed to your Program Files directory root, as opposed to "%ProgramFilesDir%\Zingarelli\ZAN.EXE"?

Thinstall would respond with "could not open "%ProgramFilesDir%\ZAN.EXE" if this was the case though, so I guess you are correct.

The second option, which again I don't know what kind of error Thinstall would output, is if ZAN.EXE is a native 64bit application, or one of the few 16bit applications that Thinstall does not support. When you launch ZAN.EXE normally, open Task Manager via Ctrl-Alt-Del, and see if a process called "wowexec.exe" is running. If so, you have a 16bit application (written in 2005?!!) and Thinstall is struggling with it. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do.

My third thought is perhaps ZAN.EXE is actually just a binary container file, and it is launched via another executable. Are there any other .EXE files that Zingarelli installs? Try pointing to them instead.

It also would help if you posted your configuration file and screenshots of the directory structure of Zingarelli.