Research of the Perfect Combo

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
xephyr69

#16 Post by xephyr69 »

I do hope you realize that it does not take that many programs to run a computer. I know that there is a category for every known function that a computer can do but that doesn't mean we need it. For example, the list of categories is somewhat based upon the use of the portable app collection. If my portable apps are mainly used for repairing computers, then I wouldn't need a recipe program, now would I? So creating this "list" and mocking up a schematic of what the categories is just too subjective. There is no way that we would all agree on a list unless it is small, simple, not so categorized.

MiDoJo

#17 Post by MiDoJo »

see this is exactly the problem I said would occur. . . sorry my comment in this post is NOT helpful

of course it wasn't meant to be helpful

:evil: :twisted:

garbanzo

#18 Post by garbanzo »

this is futile. the sooner you realize that, the less time you will waste.

out of that huge list of apps you posted, i counted five that i use. out of what looks to be more than 100. the rest i either don't like or don't need.

you can quantify all you like, but in the end, it still boils down to personal preference. labels like 'smaller' or 'faster' don't necessarily mean 'better'.

anyway, the reason i hang out here is because i like to try new software. i find it fun to explore different possibilities, and to decide for myself which i like the best :)

kuihdez

#19 Post by kuihdez »

Ok, I get your points.

Cornflower

#20 Post by Cornflower »

Let's not get down on each other for the list that we have. There have been many forum topics where lists have been encouraged, if only to tell each other what we have.

I agree that if there is a long list without discussion, I probably won't look at it much, but then again I might find something that is useful to me.

My read on kuihdez' comments is what would it take to have a more-or-less complete setup that can do a lot of things in most situations that we might encounter. This is still dependent on the role or game we play in life, but there are probably general groupings that a meaningful list can be derived, unique to each person, to be sure, but meaningful to others, nonetheless.

An incomplete short list of categories might be
Office
- must have basic word processing, spreadsheet capabilities
- for me, I desire pdf creation and manipulation

Graphics
- basic viewers and editors (some may need vector or cad-like, or photo-specialty)

Printing
- some may not have this category, but for me it is important, and I have some specialized utilities

Utility belt
- here there may be subcategories, such as clipboard, text manipulation, calculation & conversion, network, etc.

Security
- what security, encryption, etc. needs to be portable for you?

Internet & Email
- enough said

For my dollar, I can accept other people's programs for many day to day tasks, but there are a few special ones that I must have with me most all the time, no matter the computer:
-PDF printer driver (and utilities to install/load and uninstall from another's computer) and pdftkBuilder to manipulate the PDFs
- Mempad and Horst Shaeffer's Date Reminder (not for meetings, but for doctor/dentist visits, birthdays, etc., that I can no longer remember)
- TrayURL (for anything on the web I need.
- Eve graphics program (it was a little steep to get used to, but now I do most graphic stuff with it)
- Locknote for my passwords

All combined take up somewhere around 4megs (the pdftk bundle is 3 megs of it and the rest together are less than a meg).

Now _I've_ wasted a good few minutes, but this was a good exercise in minimalism.

kuihdez

#21 Post by kuihdez »

Cornflower wrote:Let's not get down on each other for the list that we have. There have been many forum topics where lists have been encouraged, if only to tell each other what we have.

I agree that if there is a long list without discussion, I probably won't look at it much, but then again I might find something that is useful to me.

My read on kuihdez' comments is what would it take to have a more-or-less complete setup that can do a lot of things in most situations that we might encounter. This is still dependent on the role or game we play in life, but there are probably general groupings that a meaningful list can be derived, unique to each person, to be sure, but meaningful to others, nonetheless.

An incomplete short list of categories might be
Office
- must have basic word processing, spreadsheet capabilities
- for me, I desire pdf creation and manipulation

Graphics
- basic viewers and editors (some may need vector or cad-like, or photo-specialty)

Printing
- some may not have this category, but for me it is important, and I have some specialized utilities

Utility belt
- here there may be subcategories, such as clipboard, text manipulation, calculation & conversion, network, etc.

Security
- what security, encryption, etc. needs to be portable for you?

Internet & Email
- enough said

For my dollar, I can accept other people's programs for many day to day tasks, but there are a few special ones that I must have with me most all the time, no matter the computer:
-PDF printer driver (and utilities to install/load and uninstall from another's computer) and pdftkBuilder to manipulate the PDFs
- Mempad and Horst Shaeffer's Date Reminder (not for meetings, but for doctor/dentist visits, birthdays, etc., that I can no longer remember)
- TrayURL (for anything on the web I need.
- Eve graphics program (it was a little steep to get used to, but now I do most graphic stuff with it)
- Locknote for my passwords

All combined take up somewhere around 4megs (the pdftk bundle is 3 megs of it and the rest together are less than a meg).

Now _I've_ wasted a good few minutes, but this was a good exercise in minimalism.
this is exactly what i had in mind... :) thank you for putting it in some other words !

xephyr69

#22 Post by xephyr69 »

This is my list, based on my personal preferences. Please do not criticize my list, we are all welcome to our own opinions.

Office
- OpenOffice
- PDFTK Builer
- Foxit Reader

Graphics
- InfranView
- Paint.NET

Utility belt
- CCleaner
- Recuva
- PeaZip
- NTREGOPT
- Autoruns
- Unlocker
- Revo Uninstaller
- JkDefrag

Security
- Ad-Aware
- Spybot S&D
- RogueRemover
- Several Others

Internet
- Firefox
- FrostWire
- Thunderbird
- uTorrent

Multimedia
- BonkEnc
- Winamp
- ImgBurn
- InfraRecorder
- Media Player Classic

This is not my full list, nor is it entirely accurate. I was in a hurry and will touch up on it later.

benwade

Sorry to impose, but how do you make Copernic portable?

#23 Post by benwade »

I'm very sorry to bother the group, but could anyone give me detailed instructions on how to portabilize Copernic? I love the program and would LOVE to use it portably. I am NOT a novice to Window$, but I am a novice when it comes to making programs portable.

TIA, Ben