smtp server like mini-Relay without virus ?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
roger

smtp server like mini-Relay without virus ?

#1 Post by roger »

Hello,

do you know a SMTP server like miniRelay but without virus.
I search about something small.

Norton & Avast with miniRelay say : virus

Thank's

Toxteth O'Grady

#2 Post by Toxteth O'Grady »

Where did you download it? I have used this program in the past and there was nothing wrong with it.

Perhaps you could scan it with a few online scanners, just to make sure.

MiDoJo

#3 Post by MiDoJo »

Norton & Avast with miniRelay say : virus
This may(?) be a false positve. The reason for this is that oft times a trojan will place a no-install smtp on a machine in order to send out spam and/or propagate (itself) onto other machines. If you know it is ok and are using it on your own machine, just tell the AV to ignore the file, however I'd say keep it on a seperate memory stick if you are using other's machines (stupid machines keep eating my Password finding Programs :evil: )

Ameri-CAIN

#4 Post by Ameri-CAIN »

(stupid machines keep eating my Password finding Programs...)
MiDoJo,
I used to have this problem as well, but what I did to remedy that was I put all my password find utility's into one folder on my Flash Drive and used "Drag'n'Crypt ULTRA" to encrypt all the files in that folder. When I need to use one of my password exe's on a computer that doesn't belong to me, I have time to go into the AV software on the machine and tell it to ignore the files in that folder, then I run Drag'n'Crypt ULTRA, drag the folder to the Drag'n'Crypt Icon to decrypt it, run my questionable program, and when I'm all done, I re-encrypt my exe's then I set the AV back to the way it was prior. It sounds like a pain in the ass, but it is really quite painless compared to having either re-download the utility or try and figure how to get it out of the AV quarantine.

Edit:
TPFC Permalink for Drag'n'Crypt ULTRA:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1074

MiDoJo

#5 Post by MiDoJo »

Sweet, Thanks Cain, Great Advice (as always)

Jzilla

#6 Post by Jzilla »

I too use mini relay and have found no problems with it.

To keep my password tools etc safe from overzealous anti virus, I keep them on a write-protected SD memory card.

This with its usb adapter is small enough to keep in my wallet.

Being write protected means I can plug it into any computer without fear of it being infected or having files on it removed by antivirus programs.

Jason

Ameri-CAIN

#7 Post by Ameri-CAIN »

To keep my password tools etc safe from overzealous anti virus, I keep them on a write-protected SD memory card.
I tried that approach for a while, but I keep too many programs on my flash drive that need to write back to the drive, which I use far more often than my password utilities. By encrypting my password utilities with Drag'n'Crypt I change the signature of the file, as well as the extension of the file. (Drag'n'Crypt gives the file a .dcu file extension) The combination of encrypting and changing the file extension will keep the Anti-Virus software from being able to recognize it as a threat, and prevents it from being deleted from my drive.

Queue

#8 Post by Queue »

I went the ''USB drive with read-only switch'' route. Any program that REQUIRES write access to my drive, I simply made a wrapper for to copy them to the local machine's temp folder, run them, then delete and cleanup after they close. This is surprisingly few though; of the hundreds of programs on my flash drive, I think only 4 or 5 required write access to function (Icon Sushi being an example). As for settings, no they won't save new settings, but I had it write-able, then set up the various programs the way I wanted them so settings were saved once. If I want to change settings I'd make it write-able long enough to adjust things.

This has saved me bajillions of headaches though. Never have to worry about overzealous anti-malware programs. Don't have to worry about malicious software writing itself to my drive. And don't have to worry about an overzealous IT guy remotely deleting stuff off my drive when I'm plugged in to a network. Also extends lifespan of the drive since it only gets written to when I add new programs.

Queue

Ameri-CAIN

#9 Post by Ameri-CAIN »

I run programs like EPIM, KeePass, ToDoList, Open Office, etc. where I save the data file back to my portable drive. Not to mention my portable documents, pics, music, and scripts. Granted not all of the data is changed everyday but enough edits take place that I need to save changes to the drive every time I use it. I also backup my drive on a regular basis so when the drive wears out, hey they get cheaper every day right? I guarantee by the time my flash drive does finally give out on me I will be able to get about 10 times the storage space for probably less than I paid for it originally.

MiDoJo

#10 Post by MiDoJo »

Cain and Queue While I greatly appreciate both of yer suggestions :) I think that I may have started you down a path of getting away from the original point (though OP COULD use the same advice being bantered about and apply it to their own issue with mini relay). My point it mentioning my Password "hacktools" was that they too are treated as viruses/malware.

If so wished I'll start a new topic (or one of you moderators could make a split ;) ) but we are far approaching a point of NOT answering Roger's question and instead finding a way to do mine.

HAHA that said I'm currently using Cain's suggestion with an additional Pstart(which I call from my main Pstart) to auto-launch D&C Ultra and the Root Folder of my passwords section which I can then (after stopping AV) decrypt via Drag and drop and then run the exe from the secondary pstart) I used another icon extractor also found on TPFC to make icons for all of the programs and the second pstart so that they didn't lose their icons when crypted.

I'd use the SD card method but that'd be similar to having a second drive which I'd rather avoid if possible.

I still love you though Queue :roll:

roger

#11 Post by roger »

I,

nobody use a SMTP server like miniRelay (light) ??

download from http://www.netvicious.com/

Norton say : virus
Avast say : virus
ClamWin say : ok

very sad

Think's for your answer :)

ashghost

#12 Post by ashghost »

Roger,

Here's the Virus Total report:

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/8391 ... cca880c376

Fifteen of the thirty-five AVs flag it, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's only because it's been used in other spyware/viruses, as MiDoJo described.

I mean, it hasn't been updated in 4 years. If it was a virus written four years ago, wouldn't almost ALL the AV engines flag it (especially the ones with the best AV-Comparatives results, like NOD32 and Avira)?

I wouldn't worry about it.

Gary

#13 Post by Gary »

Although in the above report, my copy of Sophos Anti-Virus also detects "Virus/spyware Mal/Generic-A" in miniRelay.

--Gary

Local

#14 Post by Local »

my copy of Sophos Anti-Virus also detects "Virus/spyware Mal/Generic-A" in miniRelay.
In my experience every virus I've been alerted to as Generic has been a false alarm.
They usually seem to be called by heuristic scans which I now refuse to invoke on my systems.

Not to say all generic calls are ok, just in my experience I'd say take it with a pinch of salt