MP3 Tag Editor: mp3tag

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
tedpoe

MP3 Tag Editor: mp3tag

#1 Post by tedpoe »

Home page: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

"2006-11-05: Mp3tag v2.37a - with support for portable installations and many other new features, changes and bugfixes."

Can be installed anywhere. After installation, it creates several files in \Documents and Settings\Application Data\mp3tag. If these files are moved to the installation directory, it appears to be portable.

Does anyone else know of any non-portability issues?

Ted

flinty

#2 Post by flinty »

i think everytime this runs, it creates an entry in the windows prefetch folder ..not sure if any other entries are left on the host computer?

ie MP3TAG.EXE-3374A3C3.pf

Ennovy

mp3tag 2.40

#3 Post by Ennovy »

database needs an update : http://www.portablefreeware.com/?q=mp3tag
This version comes with a completely redesigned Tag Sources dialog, new action types (Export and Import), loading and saving of both column configurations and selection state of action groups, improved support for Vista and iTunes, and many other new features, changes and bugfixes.
Download : http://www.anytag.de/download/mp3tagv240setup.exe

lococobra

Mp3Tag Portable

#4 Post by lococobra »

I saw someone request a portable Mp3 Tagger, so here it is..

Mp3tag is a powerful and yet easy-to-use tool to edit metadata (ID3, Vorbis Comments and APE) of common audio formats. It can rename files based on the tag information, replace characters or words from tags and filenames, import/export tag information, create playlists and more. The program supports online freedb database lookups for selected files, allowing you to automatically gather proper tag information for select files or CDs.

Portable version is very similar to CrossLoop portable, tested stealth in Sandboxie (as long as it successfully closes). If you're interested in making portable apps, you should check out the source code, it's a auto-download-portablize-run script framework I'm working on. If you know some AutoIt, take a look.

Download Mp3Tag Portable Here

Kermode

#5 Post by Kermode »

I think this one is better:

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=571

Certainly much smaller.

Though the download link on the page needs to be updated to:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/massid3lib

alanbcohen

#6 Post by alanbcohen »

Kermode wrote:I think this one is better:

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=571

Certainly much smaller.

Though the download link on the page needs to be updated to:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/massid3lib
Last release was in 2004 as a Beta, is it stable?

zikarus

#7 Post by zikarus »

I think this one is better:

I think mp3tag is the best...

lococobra

#8 Post by lococobra »

Mp3Tag supports:
• Advanced Audio Coding (aac)
• Free Lossless Audio Codec (flac)
• Monkey's Audio (ape)
• Mpeg Layer 3 (mp3)
• MPEG-4 (mp4 / m4a / m4b / iTunes compatible)
• Musepack (mpc)
• Ogg Vorbis (ogg)
• OptimFROG (ofr)
• OptimFROG DualStream (ofs)
• Speex (spx)
• Tom's Audio Kompressor (tak)
• True Audio (tta)
• Windows Media Audio (wma)
• WavPack (wv)
As well as doing nifty things like looking up track information on freedb

Mp3TagTools supports:
• Mpeg Layer 3 (mp3)

So basicly, which do you want? Mp3Tag takes up about 4.6mb more than Mp3TagTools.

Kermode

#9 Post by Kermode »

lococobra wrote: So basicly, which do you want?
Mp3TagTools

lococobra

#10 Post by lococobra »

To quote you...
Kermode wrote:That wasn't the point of the message.
Which one is better has nothing to do with this thread, I was just just submitting this program to the database. Sorry I missunderstood your other post, but that doesn't give you justification to bash my software. Hell, it isn't even my software.. its just software I choose to portabilize. You guys should be praising anyone who's willing to freely develop open source software, but in here no one helps, and I always seem to get an inordinate amount of criticism.

Look, it's portable... it's stealth... its free. Even if the software behind my script is crap you should still say thanks for my efforts. Non-constructive critisism has no place in this forum, and if I'm wrong about that then this forum is trash.

Queue

#11 Post by Queue »

The download and install routine is simple and elegant.

The registry backup and restore looks solid but I don't see a failsafe in case of failure; for example, if power is lost and the wrapper is run again, does the backup of the host settings get overwritten or properly maintained? All it'd take is a check if $HostReg already exists, don't create a new $HostReg and when the program quits restore the already existing backup. I might just not be seeing it, I am an AutoIt amateur.

I'm a little confused by your choice here:

Code: Select all

$PID = Run($AppDir&$AppExe&' '&$AppParam)
While ProcessExists($PID)
	Sleep(2000)
WEnd
why not:

$PID = Run($AppDir&$AppExe&' '&$AppParam)
ProcessWaitClose($PID)
or:

RunWait($AppDir&$AppExe&' '&$AppParam)
?

Queue

Kermode

#12 Post by Kermode »

lococobra get over yourself.
I didn't *bash* anything- I said I prefered something else. I did it in this thread because I followed *your* link.

I have every right to say that. Should I think a program sucks I have evey right to say that as well (which I didn't here btw) - I don't owe you anything, including constructive anything - if you want that ask for that.

What I mentioned, in passing, was that i was looking for an mp3 tagger - not something which does something to 20 other formats. And I don't like the interface of that other program, nor don't i like that I didn't download it all when i thought i had, but that to download additional stuff when i briefly tried it. Nor quite frankly do I like what i see a pushy attitude from your side.

I was looking for something which could do mp3, the other program could do that. That problem solved.
If only everything was a simple.

lococobra

#13 Post by lococobra »

Kermode: After spending several hours coding something and finally posting it, it's not the best feeling to have the first thing anyone says be "I think this one is better:..."

Queue, you're right about recovery, it's something I just haven't gotten around to implementing. I'll make that the next thing I add to all my scripts.

About the way I handled waiting for the process to exit, it's because both ProcessWaitClose, and (I assume) RunWait use a 250 ms poll interval, which is fine for running command line apps and such because they exit quickly. For a wrapper program which may be waiting for a long time, 250 ms is too fast, it uses too much CPU. Specifically, I choose 2 seconds because that's about the point where it makes almost no impact on the CPU. I think I'll be changing it to a bit less next update though, since 2+ seconds is a bit long to wait for a program such as this to exit.

About the whole two-tiered download thing: some people have been saying they don't like this about my programs, but I'm limited to only these options...
1. Include files from other people's software, and risk getting sued to death
2. Include a guide on how to extract/setup a portable version of the software
3. Have my software download/setup the whole thing automatically

Ideally, I'd go with option 1... but since that's not going to happen, I think the method I've come up with is good compromise.

Queue

#14 Post by Queue »

I had a hunch that was the reason for the sleep loop. At this point, this is just offering up the information just for alternatives; I don't think this way or your way is superior:

Opt("WinWaitDelay", 2000)
should let you use RunWait or ProcessWaitClose with a 2000 ms pause between checks. I'm not 100% positive it affects both those commands, but pretty dang positive.

Queue

lococobra

#15 Post by lococobra »

Nope, just tested it and it doesn't work :/