Saying so long

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
redllar

Saying so long

#1 Post by redllar »

Well folks, the latest mod for TPFC has seen fit to delete one of my posts. Without any discussion from me. Hopefully without Andrew's okay, as I still have respect for him if not the others.

So, anyway, I'm outta here for good. Consider JPE publically dead as far as TPFC is concerned. The way things were going it was bound to happen anyway. This place has become more and more a haven for PortableCraps.com shills.

To those of you who have kept up an interest and that I still have respect for, I'm going to continue to work on 030. I'm planning on sending you a copy, but if you'd prefer not to receive it, just let me know.

Zach Thibeau

Redllar

#2 Post by Zach Thibeau »

Redllar I meant no disrespect, look I already promised not to the the JauntePE thread anymore, and you didn't really help by flaming out in public, so to keep it civilized I just hid it and promised not to post anymore at your request, Since I am trying to my best to make it right with you so that this doesn't happen again. Guess it didn't work :(

words cannot express how deeply sorry I am for causing your anger.

If you still really thinking of Leaving I do apologize, and Yes I do admit I was out of lines.

Andrew if it brings redllar back you can take my moderator privledges back and I'll keep my distance away from the JauntePE forum

Andrew Lee

#3 Post by Andrew Lee »

@thibeaz: As my favorite superhero Spiderman used to say: "With great power comes great responsibility". You didn't use your power wisely! :x

Anyway, I have removed your mod rights for now. Please be clear that mods should only delete outright spam. Other messages (eg. flame-bait, hate mails etc.) should only be deleted after careful consultation with the other mods and the author.

To delete an entire thread wholesale (including all the messages with technical content) is extremely counterproductive, IMHO.

lococobra

#4 Post by lococobra »

redllar, I'd really appreciate if you could keep me in the loop on Jaunte. I haven't actively participated in testing/suggestions... but I've used the older versions a lot, and I'm still quite interested in it.

I don't know if you respect me, but if you do...

portable [at] lococobra.com

nycjv321

#5 Post by nycjv321 »

yea I with lococobra on this one I really shouldve contributed more im sorry but a simple post really doesnt make up for lost time and possible contributions to this project, but the PortableCraps ive seen around these forums have driven me away long time ago but I am still interested in the JauntPE project.... if you choose to email me the final project my electronic ma1l is (if you choose not to, I completely understand why...)

nycjv321 [at] yahoo.com

Simon.T

#6 Post by Simon.T »

Andrew Lee wrote:@thibeaz: As my favorite superhero Spiderman used to say: "With great power comes great responsibility". You didn't use your power wisely! :x

Anyway, I have removed your mod rights for now. Please be clear that mods should only delete outright spam. Other messages (eg. flame-bait, hate mails etc.) should only be deleted after careful consultation with the other mods and the author.

To delete an entire thread wholesale (including all the messages with technical content) is extremely counterproductive, IMHO.
Don't you have a temporary backups for this kind of situations??

Local

#7 Post by Local »

yea I with lococobra on this one I really shouldve contributed more im sorry but a simple post really doesnt make up for lost time
I think there's quite a few of us thinking the exact same thing.
I guess we all took for granted that we'd still have chances in the future.

In the defence of all of the Haller shit on here though it had to happen as TPFC got more popular and famous.

There are more script kiddies and non knowledgeable users out there than anybody else and they inevitably bring their sources with them.

I guess it's not possible to keep a site pure of this stuff similar as to you cannot abolish windows completely no matter how many linux fans stand up and get counted.

portackager

#8 Post by portackager »

Please excuse my ignorance, and lack of time on this board but what do you mean by portablecraps? What offended redllar? Could someone clear this up for me. :?

nycjv321

#9 Post by nycjv321 »

@portackager

well thibeaz (as a mod) deleted the original post of jauntpe for reasons unknown... just read Lee's reply to this post...

for the "portablecraps" term ll go on a branch here and say it means the movement of portablizing apps in a manor of importing and exporting its settings from the host OS to its directory instead of just making the app itself portable...

M@tty

#10 Post by M@tty »

PortableApps = PortableCraps = The launchers by Haller, Firefox being great, but, WinMd5SumPortable? The launcher literally does nothing but launch the program.

Zach Thibeau

Re: ...

#11 Post by Zach Thibeau »

nycjv321 wrote:@portackager

well thibeaz (as a mod) deleted the original post of jauntpe for reasons unknown... just read Lee's reply to this post...
The Thing that offended him the most was my compliments to him and he called it a waste of time, so I just delete our little argumentment in that thread (didn't delete the entire thread just our little quarrel) so that it looked civilized and I pm'd him and he blew thats what happened

Simon.T

Re: ...

#12 Post by Simon.T »

thibeaz wrote:
nycjv321 wrote:@portackager

The Thing that offended him the most was my compliments to him and he called it a waste of time, so I just delete our little argumentment in that thread (didn't delete the entire thread just our little quarrel) so that it looked civilized and I pm'd him and he blew thats what happened
Look at the bright side... congratulations thibeaz (the 11111 post on tpfc) :D

You're still one of the coolest folks here :wink:

m^(2)

#13 Post by m^(2) »

M@tty wrote:PortableApps = PortableCraps = The launchers by Haller, Firefox being great, but, WinMd5SumPortable? The launcher literally does nothing but launch the program.
Wasn't Miranda launcher written by JTH?
And they do one more thing! Show a splash screen. :lol:

USB_Kx

#14 Post by USB_Kx »

You can turn the splash screens off, can you not? I use Miranda without the launcher though, working well so far.

Anyway, some people seem to be too sensitive. Can't let some small argument in a message board (with a teenager, I suppose) drag you down and stop working/sharing something you like doing. A bit shallow for a reason, imnsho.

rokth

#15 Post by rokth »

tl;dr? see the end of post.
@thibeaz / Zach Thibeau
Great move, you had to go an anger one of the few people that actually did something other than play around with someone else's NSIS wrapper(I'm referring to John Haller). JauntePE actually outdid the freethefox NSIS wrapper that haller renamed, But you had to be a jerk because he offended you.
All the defense in the world won't make you look like a better person, and saying what you thought you did when the other party left does nothing but make you look lack a tactless fool. All the after commentary in the world won't grant you any class.

@USB_Kx
Miranda, already portable. Most of the apps listed on Haller's abortion of a site are portable. DosBox, Pidgin, Firefox, Thunderbird, Mozilla based apps, Mplayer, Zsnes, etc. I think you now get the idea of why people like redllar and myself have some beef with what Haller claimed was all his work. If you're ever curious about his apps, why not check with the original app site first. You'd think someone with at least six years of Comp.Sci study out of SUNY New Palz would be a bit more...original(Haller again).

@m^(2)
The Miranda launcher is based on the Firefox-Portable launcher, which is based on the Portable-Firefox launcher, which was based on the Free-The-Fox launcher written by someone else. You can find it @
http://mai9.net/blog/prog/firefox/free-the-fox/
And if you notice, he was doing it since 1.0.x, during the 1.5 stages, and then stopped. Haller was basing his launcher off this guy even then(1.0.x).

For the app to be open source is nice, IMO it provides you some degree of certainty that the app isn't secretly doing things it shouldn't. But if the coder is legit(as proven by testing), then there should be no worry. And as for script kiddies using nsis wrapper to make an app portable in a (no-so-)stable manner only. I remember Pidgin making their app portable out of the gate and haller didn't bother releasing a 'portable' for some time, ad when he did finally release PC version. He was called on it, and ended up flaming the people who questioned him. One incident in mind was when he changed his story each time the poster called him on his crap. First it was the app, then it was how difficult and obscure the documentation was, then it was about how the plugins weren't portable, then the installers(don't ask me, lie enough times and you'll stop making sense too. In the end he banned that guy for asking too many questions.
As he did with anyone asking him why make portable, of apps that already were.

/tl;dr
So TPFC forums has lost someone who made a genuine contribution, all because of the action of someone who didn't like being made out to be a fool. And people who delete posts and threads because someone made them look foolish doesn't make them go away, it only brings more negative attention(i.e. demotion).
Last edited by rokth on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.