I need an app that is able to RECORD videos

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Simon.T

I need an app that is able to RECORD videos

#1 Post by Simon.T »

Hi,

I want to Record a video (streaming media) but I only can get Snapshots (using Video LAN - VLC) :cry:

The video is about the election days in Russia 1-3 on march 2008

Thanks in advanced!

portackager

#2 Post by portackager »

Have you looked here:

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?sc=205

Alternatively you could use Firefox and Download helper extension to download the video.

Local

#3 Post by Local »

Have you tried SUPER ?

It seems to have the functionality
(Add stream; save to HDD)
I tried but mine doesn't want to access the net I think that's just my lan though

nycjv321

#4 Post by nycjv321 »

did you try the wizard feature of vlc? I tried it used mpeg4 as video format and vorbis for audio within an ogg container. first few minutes worked here (YES it looks really $%#@ing primative...) but it should work ;)

Simon.T

#5 Post by Simon.T »

portackager wrote:Have you looked here:

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?sc=205
It is freezing under Vista :(
portackager wrote:Alternatively you could use Firefox and Download helper extension to download the video.
You can't, it is a streaming media - literal...

nycjv321

#6 Post by nycjv321 »

why are you using vista??? :lol: ...... lol well try updating to latest version of vlc if that fails try running it under compatibility mode... if not Ill download it for you and post it somewhere for you (if you request it)

edit:
hmm seems to crash with certains codec combinations... try different ones...
Last edited by nycjv321 on Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Simon.T

#7 Post by Simon.T »

nycjv321 wrote:did you try the wizard feature of vlc? I tried it used mpeg4 as video format and vorbis for audio within an ogg container. first few minutes worked here (YES it looks really $%#@ing primative...) but it should work ;)
DUDE!! I love you man :)
It is not that perfect (at the start - the first 2 or 5 seconds) but it is indeed working :D

after 35min and 25sec...

Its size is 304MB :cry: :cry:

this is what I did:

nycjv321

#8 Post by nycjv321 »

lol well the video is so big because of codecs as well as the application itself

if you want smaller size try this application for size
http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/ (I installed the qt version for my needs I personally hate gtk2 with a vengeance)

ogg at 192kbs is a tad excessive since this is an asf stream im going to guess its wma and wmv and audio compression is around 96kbs (video prolly 300-500kbs) I would try remuxing it with avidemux
after installing it run and ....
1.) open the video itself
2.) under video it gives options of codecs etc... etc.. choose "mpeg-4 avc (x264)"
3.) under video configuration under the encoding mode do a 2 pass video size (this gives you best flexiblity) or 2 pass video bitrate, 1 pass will be much quicky but 2 pass is always better for I would choose around 120megs for video but you can experiment (ex 450-600 for bitrate). Dont mess with the other settings press ok.
4.) under audio choose aac (faac) (I Would not choose lame (this gives mp3 audio since it sounds crappy compared to aac or ogg at lower bitrates) (this is open source implementation of aac) for configure option lower the bitrate to 96 (Smallest size for audio without actuall hearable loss) you wont tell difference if you do try highering it to 112 or 128)
5.) if you want to remove some video frames go to beginning of "bad frames" and under edit choose "set marker A" then go to the last of the bad frames and then choose "set marker B"then go back to edit and press del and bamn they are gone ;). (audio will be around 40megs)

6.) now we choose a format (a container format the file type they will be stored hmm I would go with default of avi (I usually go with avi and them mux to mkv with http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/, if you want try mp4 container since the audio and video codecs we choose are mp4 defaults)
(maybe you make subtitles and add them ;) but thats another "guide" :)

so enjoy experimenting ;) when finished try playing with vlc or smplayer (or install direct show filters to play aac, x264 and the container itself) since vis.. poo wont play by default

Simon.T

Re: ...

#9 Post by Simon.T »

nycjv321 wrote:why are you using vista??? :lol: ...... lol well try updating to latest version of vlc if that fails try running it under compatibility mode... if not Ill download it for you and post it somewhere for you (if you request it)

edit:
hmm seems to crash with certains codec combinations... try different ones...
I did that compatibility thing... (not working) and I meant to Fusion

And about VLC, It is crashing when choosing the following selections:

But if...

Image Image

only 63.6MB - but it is sort of sheared at the end, maybe a bug?!?

spaztastic

#10 Post by spaztastic »

[removed -- link provided neither portable nor freeware]

nycjv321

#11 Post by nycjv321 »

hmmm if it plays within this ogg container could you check out media information for me? within vlc? like codec information etc... etc... hmm I wouldn't say a bug (although it prolly is...) if you do irc I would say check out #videolan @ freenode, but like I originally said try muxing that 300meg copy with Avidemux it should yield better results man I cant wait till the qt version of vlc is released :}

Simon.T

#12 Post by Simon.T »

WOW :!: :!: thank you all for the helpful tips (and for such a short time!!)
I love you all folks :mrgreen:

Please check out this link - but this .wmv is not playable on vlc :x
spaztastic wrote:Bulent's Screen Recorder

http://www.thesilver.net/
Thank you, but I prefer to use only OpenSourced solutions... see here some speeches by Richard Stallman (my god lol) though maybe I'm going to try SUPER as Local mentioned up here

Regards
Simon

Simon.T

Re: ..

#13 Post by Simon.T »

nycjv321 wrote:hmmm if it plays within this ogg container could you check out media information for me? within vlc? like codec information etc... etc...
I do not understand the question?!?

fenixproductions

#14 Post by fenixproductions »

2Simon.T

Have you ever tried KMPlayer?
http://www.kmplayer.com/forums/index.php

I've checked for your "election link". It works :)

appsuser

#15 Post by appsuser »

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/web_video_capture.html

Original video format...no extra processing...works for me...