WinPenPack's X-Launcher updated

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
sl23

WinPenPack's X-Launcher updated

#1 Post by sl23 »

Does anyone know if WinPenPack's X-Launcher will ever get an update to 64 bit?
It's been so useful for me over the years and it's going to be redundant once windows stops supporting 32 bit apps. I am finding many old 32 bit apps have stopped working over the years.
Latest X-Launcher_x64 update - Compiled with Aut2exe_x64.exe v3.3.16.1
Latest X-Launcher_x64 v1.5.4 update - Compiled with Aut2exe_x64.exe v3.2.12.1

rbon

Re: WinPenPack's X-Launcher update?

#2 Post by rbon »

sl23 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:40 am Does anyone know if WinPenPack's X-Launcher will ever get an update to 64 bit?
It's been so useful for me over the years and it's going to be redundant once windows stops supporting 32 bit apps. I am finding many old 32 bit apps have stopped working over the years.
I think the 64 bit version will never be released.

However you can easily create the 64 bit versions yourself.
The steps are as follows:
1. obtain the sources of the launcher you are interested in (browse at Sourceforge.net https://sourceforge.net/projects/winpenpack/files/)
2. uses updated "X-SciTEAutoIt".
- open the source code, e.g. X-LibreOffice.au3" located in the X-Libreoffice folder
- in the second line there is the parameter:
#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=N
that it must become
#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=Y
--> (AutoIt supports 64-bit compilation)
3. then go to Tools --> Compile
to get a new 64-bit launcher :wink:

The problem is rather in the launcher 'code' which is really outdated (see at https://sourceforge.net/projects/winpen ... -Launcher/)

At moment, in winPenPack, there are not AutoIt programmers.

Final words.
If You are interested I can load on MediaFire my copy of "X-SciTEAutoIt" updated with:
- SciTE rel 4.4.6 (updated at 2022-09-19)
- AutoIt rel. 3.3.16.1

Good luck.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.

sl23

#3 Post by sl23 »

To be honest, I am interested only in the X-Launcher itself. I have the source code for it already. I use it for my preferred apps:
SoftmakerOfficeFree
FreeFileSync - Still has to be installed, but it allows backup of all files using the X-Launcher. Just easier than trying backup manually.
PartitionWizardFree
etc,

So, I just wanted the X-Launcher to be updated to x64. Then I could carry one using it. Does it matter that the code is outdated? It still works using the same folders. I don't bother with the registry as that's a bit over my head. I sort of understand how that side works, but I'm just worried I may make a mess of it and do some damage!

I have no idea how to compile though! Do I follow your instructions above? I would appreciate your kind offer of an updated "X-SciTEAutoIT", even though this would likely be the only time I would ever use it ;)

Thanks for your help.

rbon

#4 Post by rbon »

sl23 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:30 am I have no idea how to compile though! Do I follow your instructions above? I would appreciate your kind offer of an updated "X-SciTEAutoIT", even though this would likely be the only time I would ever use it ;)
Here are zip archives from MediaFire:
1. X-SciTE4AutoIt3_4.4.6_rev6.zip https://www.mediafire.com/file/n64d7fpy ... 6.zip/file
2. X-SciTE4AutoIt3_4.4.6_rev6_work.zip https://www.mediafire.com/file/gbz80wuv ... k.zip/file
3. X-SciTE4AutoIt3_Help.zip https://www.mediafire.com/file/orxbegf4 ... p.zip/file

For compiling, follow the instructions in my previous post.

B.T.W.
the program at nr. 1 is clean program
the program at nr. 2 with name "_work" is my working program.

Please note:
I am' not an AutoIt programmer.
(maybe Your can help to @Iwc)
Last edited by rbon on Fri May 24, 2024 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.

sl23

#5 Post by sl23 »

That's great, thank you. I'll probably encounter some issues compiling, I'll let you know...

lwc

#6 Post by lwc »

rbon wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:58 am (maybe Your can help to @Iwc)
I only caught this randomly as your tag didn't work.
Yes, I might be able to help, but to be honest I don't see the logic to artificially and unofficially give life support to an outdated (from almost a decade ago) program in the first place, when you have my AutoRun LWMenu that does the same thing except it's modern (and always had a 64-bit version)

sl23

#7 Post by sl23 »

I have been trying to find an alternative to X-Launcher, but nothing came up except older apps. I loved the simplicity of X-Launcher so have stuck with it.
I didn't know you made an app that did the same thing, I'll give it a try, thanks for pointing it out :)

EDIT: Just had a quick look at AutorunMenu, but it's not what I want. I want a Launcher wrapper like X-Launcher. Or even the PortableApps Launcher, but that is quite complex to use every time.

lwc

#8 Post by lwc »

sl23 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:06 am EDIT: Just had a quick look at AutorunMenu, but it's not what I want. I want a Launcher wrapper like X-Launcher. Or even the PortableApps Launcher, but that is quite complex to use every time.
Not sure I understand, did you follow Must I use menus? (hint: no).

sl23

#9 Post by sl23 »

Like I said, "quick look" ;)
Not sure what that link is meant to point to? It doesn't mention about Must I use menus at that point in the page, except this: DRIVE_CDROM [Yellow color] "open" command can be enabled by "action=My menu" Ok, found it! :)

I'm going to read the usage part, but I don't understand how this app works at all...

EDIT: Am I right in thinking this is an app menu that launches programs via this menu but programs can be launched without opening the menu? Apps can be located anywhere and made portable with the ARM? I already have that and it works much easier than this, it's called SyMenu. It may not be as flexible as ARM, but it does what I want. The only issue is that I want a Portable Launcher that is standalone for each app. If I create an ARM, it's for all apps?

My point was that I wanted an X-Launcher update or replacement that works like that does. Looks like PA.c Launcher is the way to go! I would prefer a standalone, "per app" launcher.

sl23

#10 Post by sl23 »

rbon wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:58 am
sl23 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:30 am I have no idea how to compile though! Do I follow your instructions above? I would appreciate your kind offer of an updated "X-SciTEAutoIT", even though this would likely be the only time I would ever use it ;)
Here are zip archives from MediaFire:
1. X-SciTE4AutoIt3_4.4.6_rev6.zip https://www.mediafire.com/file/n64d7fpy ... 6.zip/file
2. X-SciTE4AutoIt3_4.4.6_rev6_work.zip https://www.mediafire.com/file/gbz80wuv ... k.zip/file
3. X-SciTE4AutoIt3_Help.zip https://www.mediafire.com/file/orxbegf4 ... p.zip/file

For compiling, follow the instructions in my previous post.

B.T.W.
the program at nr. 1 is clean program
the program at nr. 2 with name "_work" is my working program.

Please note:
I am' not an AutoIt programmer.
(maybe Your can help to @Iwc)
How do I change the language to English? Everything's in Italian and I can't find any options or settings of any kind in thee app to change the Locale.

I found this:

Code: Select all

;(locale it)
; FileMove=%SCITE_HOME%\locale.it.properties|%SCITE_HOME%\locale.it.properties.$AppVer$
; FileCopy=$Temp$\x-default|%SCITE_HOME%\locale.it.properties
As you can see, I commented it out, but it made no difference. I've also downloaded the official AutoIT3.zip file and can't see anything in there on how to change the language.
Thanks for your help.

lwc

#11 Post by lwc »

sl23 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:08 am EDIT: Am I right in thinking this is an app menu that launches programs via this menu but programs can be launched without opening the menu? Apps can be located anywhere and made portable with the ARM? I already have that and it works much easier than this, it's called SyMenu. It may not be as flexible as ARM, but it does what I want. The only issue is that I want a Portable Launcher that is standalone for each app. If I create an ARM, it's for all apps?

My point was that I wanted an X-Launcher update or replacement that works like that does. Looks like PA.c Launcher is the way to go! I would prefer a standalone, "per app" launcher.
No, it started out as a menu, but already made the transition to also support singular launches.
If it's without a menu, I don't see why you think it's different than what you're used to, when if fact it's probably easier:
  1. You create an autorun.inf or just edit the default one, in your case preferably in the same location as the EXE.
  2. You add skiptobutton=X and define your specific program (including what to delete when it exists, etc.).
That's it. You can carry around those 2 files together anywhere (EXE And INF).

P.S.
Your general questions about AutoIt, and actually more specifically about SciTE, might be more well suited for AutoIt's own forums.
Last edited by lwc on Fri May 24, 2024 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

rbon

#12 Post by rbon »

sl23 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:13 am How do I change the language to English? Everything's in Italian and I can't find any options or settings of any kind in thee app to change the Locale.
You are right.

I found how to restore the English language:
simply go to this SciTE page https://www.scintilla.org/SciTETranslation.html and download the file indicated as "locale properties" http://www.scintilla.org/locale.properties which is a simple text file WITHOUT the translations.
This file must be saved with the name "locale.properties" and placed in 'X-SciTE4AutoIt3\Bin\AutoIt\3.3.16.1\SciTe'.
Then the 'X-SciTE4AutoIt3.ini' file must be modified by uncommenting (with semi-colon) the references to the Italian language.

The good news is that it works.
The bad news is that it only worked once.

I'm sorry, I can't do more for now.
Make a post on winPenPack https://www.winpenpack.com/en/index.php and ask to Danix how to solve it.

I uploaded a new archive to MediaFire:
--> X-SciTE4AutoIt3_english.zip https://www.mediafire.com/file/7rlwff4a ... h.zip/file
this archive contains:
- X-SciTE4AutoIt3.ini --> (with decommented reference to italian language)
- locale.properties --> (with english menu strings without translations)

Final words:
X-SciTE4AutoIt3: the archive had been made exclusively for me without thinking about future sharing.

sl23

#13 Post by sl23 »

lwc wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:59 am
sl23 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:08 am EDIT: Am I right in thinking this is an app menu that launches programs via this menu but programs can be launched without opening the menu? Apps can be located anywhere and made portable with the ARM? I already have that and it works much easier than this, it's called SyMenu. It may not be as flexible as ARM, but it does what I want. The only issue is that I want a Portable Launcher that is standalone for each app. If I create an ARM, it's for all apps?

No, it started out as a menu, but already made the transition to also support singular launches.
If it's without a menu, I don't see why you think it's different than what you're used to, when if fact it's probably easier:
  1. You create an autorun.inf or just edit the default one, in your case preferably in the same location as the EXE.
  2. You add skiptobutton=X and define your specific program (including what to delete when it exists, etc.).
That's it. You can carry around those 2 files together anywhere (EXE And INF).

P.S.
Your general questions about AutoIt, and actually more specifically about SciTE, might be more well suited for AutoIt's own forums.
Ok, now I'm really confused! Are you saying the only thing required is the AutoRun.inf file? Or does the AutoRun.exe have to be portably installed too?
Thinking about it, it looks like you install ARM, wherever, then put an AutoRun.inf in the app to be made portable. The AutoRun references the AutoRun.exe and hey presto, it portablises the app you want made portable?! That right? lol

Sorry, just couldn't get my head round how this thing worked! Pretty good actually. Just need to figure out how to use it now! :mrgreen:

Is there a template AutoRun.inf or an app that's extensively portablised via the INF so I can look see what goes on?
:D
Thanks for your help

sl23

#14 Post by sl23 »

rbon wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:03 am
sl23 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:13 am How do I change the language to English? Everything's in Italian and I can't find any options or settings of any kind in thee app to change the Locale.
You are right.

I found how to restore the English language:
simply go to this SciTE page https://www.scintilla.org/SciTETranslation.html and download the file indicated as "locale properties" http://www.scintilla.org/locale.properties which is a simple text file WITHOUT the translations.
This file must be saved with the name "locale.properties" and placed in 'X-SciTE4AutoIt3\Bin\AutoIt\3.3.16.1\SciTe'.
Then the 'X-SciTE4AutoIt3.ini' file must be modified by uncommenting (with semi-colon) the references to the Italian language.

The good news is that it works.
The bad news is that it only worked once.

I'm sorry, I can't do more for now.
Make a post on winPenPack https://www.winpenpack.com/en/index.php and ask to Danix how to solve it.

I uploaded a new archive to MediaFire:
--> X-SciTE4AutoIt3_english.zip https://www.mediafire.com/file/7rlwff4a ... h.zip/file
this archive contains:
- X-SciTE4AutoIt3.ini --> (with decommented reference to italian language)
- locale.properties --> (with english menu strings without translations)

Final words:
X-SciTE4AutoIt3: the archive had been made exclusively for me without thinking about future sharing.
That worked for the English translation, thanks, now to work out how to make X-Launcher x64!
Will give this a try and see how it goes, but it seems like lwc is onto something with that AutoRun, so am looking at that too!

Thanks a lot for your help, both of you :)

Is there a specific thread for AutoRun launcher?

sl23

#15 Post by sl23 »

rbon wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:59 am However you can easily create the 64 bit versions yourself.
The steps are as follows:
1. obtain the sources of the launcher you are interested in (browse at Sourceforge.net https://sourceforge.net/projects/winpenpack/files/)
2. uses updated "X-SciTEAutoIt".
- open the source code, e.g. X-LibreOffice.au3" located in the X-Libreoffice folder
- in the second line there is the parameter:
#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=N
that it must become
#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=Y
--> (AutoIt supports 64-bit compilation)
3. then go to Tools --> Compile
to get a new 64-bit launcher :wink:

The problem is rather in the launcher 'code' which is really outdated (see at https://sourceforge.net/projects/winpen ... -Launcher/)
Ok, first attempt and no luck! It created an X-Launcher, but x32, wrong name and without icons.
Any ideas?

Btw, that link is dead. I searched and found a similar page that shows X-Launcher v1.4.2, but I have the updated one, v1.5.4 with source code. Though it was released in 2014 also.

The output file is called "x-compiler.exe" and NOT "X-Launcher.exe" as stated in this line:

Code: Select all

#AutoIt3Wrapper_OutFile=X-Launcher.exe		;Target exe/a3x filename.
Does it make a difference which file you open and compile from?