XP compatible software

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
Midas

Re: XP compatible software

#121 Post by Midas »

An article that may (or not...) interest readers of the present topic...
My dirty little secret is that I like Windows XP. I know it inside out and it maximizes my productivity while sitting at the computer. And in the end that is what counts. A computer is a tool to get work done. If I get the most work done on a Windows XP computer, then that is what I should use.
It is not security concerns that worry me with Windows XP. The problem is rather the dwindling software support.

dmiranda

#122 Post by dmiranda »

"Over the last decade or so most of the world’s advanced nations have established some sort of cyber warfare capabilities. This is a capability to break into other nation’s computer systems... A few 0-days get leaked and can be used by hackers. But the large majority are sold for hefty sums and tucked away in government vaults to be used in some hypothetical cyber conflict."

In fact, this started almost three decades ago, circa 1996, when MS, to avoid being broken down, began to send updates to the powers that be one month before being released. Word was -confirmed post-2013 (ahem)- that this deal worked perfectly. MS survived, and only lost control of the browser market, now in control of GG, which more likely than not has a similar or enhanced (as we know with disclosed certainty since, again 2013) degree of business-government collaboration.

However, absent an evil maid, most of the potential damage can only come from using integrated browsers, media players, and the multiple frameworks that make life easier (tsk) for the normal user. Cripple those, and you are on the safe.

"The problem is always content loading, or rather a failure to load all or parts of a website’s content. My best guess is that the JavaScript code in these malfunctioning homepages are too modern"

Rather than more modern, they are more convoluted, and other than big social media (or their wannabes), you can tweak mypal, or serpent52-55 to load most content. Most content you cannot watch or process you can in a virtual machine, or in a vanilla browser/media player, either directly, or downloading it for slightly delayed enjoyment, without all the adds and crap (spyware, nagware, etc) that "the more secure environment" promoted by modern browsers and media players. As per GGdocs, MS365 and the like, I don't like to have my head in the cloud, and (again) there are many ways - just as using your cellphone to still be able to trick them into working for you. If you check https://msfn.org/board/forum/201-browse ... mily-oses/ you can even find modded chrome hacks still doing most of what is needed. For what doesn't work even there (for example, is you hard block GG spyware -analytics, fonts, and the such), a cheap second market chromebook (or even better, if you care for some privacy, Linux-Mint second hand laptop) do the trick.

Andrew Lee

#123 Post by Andrew Lee »

Midas wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:47 am An article that may (or not...) interest readers of the present topic...
My dirty little secret is that I like Windows XP. I know it inside out and it maximizes my productivity while sitting at the computer. And in the end that is what counts. A computer is a tool to get work done. If I get the most work done on a Windows XP computer, then that is what I should use.
It is not security concerns that worry me with Windows XP. The problem is rather the dwindling software support.
Interesting article.. thanks for sharing..

There's so much inside the article I can identify with. For example, I am driving the Windows XP equivalent of cars - a 20yo Toyota Corolla. I am not a luddite.. I do read up on the latest and greatest about EVs and stuff, but just can't find enough incentive to move to a new car. Parts are cheap, maintenance is cheap, and there are few surprises for a PtA-to-PtB car. I don't want to be the guy who loses his EV for 3 months because he's waiting on parts. Anything happens to mine, the turnaround is never more than a day.

With software, I just no longer believe the snake oil that the transition is going to be "seamless". It is never going to be seamless. You lose time setting up stuff, lose time doing updates, lose time finding some existing software no longer works, lose time testing new versions of said software, lose time trying to find alternatives if said new versions do not work etc. It's always an investment of at least a couple of weeks before you are back to baseline again, EVERY SINGLE TIME!

So I do not hold out for as long as the author of the article, but I have experienced enough to want to hold out until I feel the inconvenience vastly outweighs the cost. It's never wise to be the first in line to jump into a new version unless you do not mind being a guinea pig!

Midas

#124 Post by Midas »

The reason I share such content is mostly because they provide compelling examples of divergence from the common spiel regarding public IT use (e.g., check viewtopic.php?t=26052).
dmiranda wrote: Absent an evil maid, most of the potential damage can only come from using integrated browsers, media players, and the multiple frameworks that make life easier (tsk) for the normal user. Cripple those, and you are on the safe.
I wholly believe that, considering the fact that I haven't even had any permanent malware protection other than the default MS Defender -- tweaked to become the least intrusive possible. I was never a Java user and only started to yield to DotNET after it became a system feature. Sensible and informed options allow you a really big mileage: one of my systems (currently being slowly phased out exactly for the same reasons pointed at by the article) runs a copy of Windows 7 last installed in 2015... It is happily chugging along right here alongside the more modern PC in writing this post.
dmiranda wrote: Most content you cannot watch or process you can in a virtual machine, or in a vanilla browser/media player, either directly, or downloading it for slightly delayed enjoyment, without all the adds and crap (spyware, nagware, etc) that "the more secure environment" promoted by modern browsers and media players.
I'm a big fan of VMs (or, more precisely, bootable virtual disks with OSes installed); I'm also a sworn enemy of the security BS that gets spewed far and wide these days, grounded on the notion that common users can't tell left from right and need to be handheld and restricted for their own sake, but does in fact provides the ultimate disservice of telling them that someone utterly unknown, laboring in a remote location under a whole set of different goals knows better than them...
Andrew Lee wrote: I am driving the Windows XP equivalent of cars - a 20yo Toyota Corolla. I am not a luddite.. I do read up on the latest and greatest about EVs and stuff, but just can't find enough incentive to move to a new car. Parts are cheap, maintenance is cheap, and there are few surprises for a PtA-to-PtB car. I don't want to be the guy who loses his EV for 3 months because he's waiting on parts. Anything happens to mine, the turnaround is never more than a day.
As someone who has had to do without his own faithful almost 20YO Mitsubishi for about 4 months -- which never ever gave me any troubles along more than 260K kilometers -- on account of a messed up routine repair, oh boy, how I feel that...
Andrew Lee wrote: With software, I just no longer believe the snake oil that the transition is going to be "seamless". It is never going to be seamless. You lose time setting up stuff, lose time doing updates, lose time finding some existing software no longer works, lose time testing new versions of said software, lose time trying to find alternatives if said new versions do not work etc. It's always an investment of at least a couple of weeks before you are back to baseline again, EVERY SINGLE TIME!

So I do not hold out for as long as the author of the article, but I have experienced enough to want to hold out until I feel the inconvenience vastly outweighs the cost. It's never wise to be the first in line to jump into a new version unless you do not mind being a guinea pig!
Couldn't have said it better. One of the sparse benefits of aging is the perk of long and broad hindsight: I bet you fell for the upgrade trap a couple of times before realizing how much wasted effort it entails. All of it just to get back to baseline, as you wisely wrote. Add to that the woes of infirm hands and blurry vision and it quickly turns into an ordeal. So you quickly jump out of the lab cage and try to build a nest of a system out of the way of current software trends -- one of the main reasons my interest in TPFC has grown over the years instead of dwindling as usual with many other hobbies...

loin2kolpotoru

#125 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

MPUI-hcb v20230629 is XP Compatible and key highlight is it's being able to play av01 video codec files.

Midas

#126 Post by Midas »

Not really XP-specific, but a potential valuable resource anyways:
Welcome to Windows Update Restored. [...] This is a community based project aimed at restoring the old Windows Update websites for Windows 95, NT4, 98, Me, 2000 and XP. We actively update the project & website with new available updates and pages.

rbon

#127 Post by rbon »

Thorium (web browser) for Windows XP/Vista released at April 10, 2024:
(Thorium is Chromium with another name: Google won't develop Chromium for Windows 7/8/8.1)

Links:
• author's web site: https://thorium.rocks/
• GitHub repository for Windows 10/11: https://github.com/Alex313031/Thorium
• GitHub repository for windows XP/7/8/8.1: https://github.com/Alex313031/thorium-legacy
• GitHub download page for thorium-legacy: https://github.com/Alex313031/thorium-legacy/releases
• GitHub direct download Thorium 32 bit (for now) for Win XP: https://github.com/Alex313031/thorium-l ... _WINXP.zip

Remember:
1. this XP browser has been released as Beta
2. for now has been released only for 32 bit (64 bit is planned)
3. this browser works only on XP/SP3 and Windows Vista
4. the development of Thorium is linked to that of Supermium
Added preliminary code for Windows XP/Vista support, but I still need progwrp.lib from @win32ss , which should be coming soon when he releases Supermium M123.
5. this build is Portable (installer is planner)

Another XP browser is Supermium: a portable version has been released by PortableApps.
• PortableApps Forum: https://portableapps.com/node/70672
• direct download Supermium Portable 122.0.6261.85 Hotfix R2 Dev Test 1: https://portableapps.com/downloading/?a ... _1.paf.exe
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.

JohnTHaller

#128 Post by JohnTHaller »

Minor correction: Supermium is a Dev Test and hasn't yet been released, though it should be released today. I also just uploaded the legacy SeaMonkey build for XP/Vista. Posted to the tracking page: https://portableapps.com/node/67329

Edit: Supermium Portable has been released: https://portableapps.com/news/2024-04-1 ... 5-released
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

JohnTHaller

#129 Post by JohnTHaller »

For folks who were following the PortableApps.com Legacy packages, I've completed all the apps that were originally identified as having XP, Vista, 7, 32-bit, etc legacy versions and compiled them into our summary page here: https://portableapps.com/node/67329

They're all also available within the PortableApps.com Platform now and will automatically show up as available based on your OS. If there are any official PA.c app released that have a legacy version you'd like to see, please let us know in that thread. Or here if you don't have a PA.c account.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality