DatePickerGO - Pop-up calendar app for quickly insert of dates

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
bigbadplayer

DatePickerGO - Pop-up calendar app for quickly insert of dates

#1 Post by bigbadplayer »

Deal all,

I've made a tiny app for quick select and insertion of calendar dates / date-ranges.
I use it on a daily basis for a few years as a private ahk-script; recently decided to build it to a standalone program for those, who can't use Auothotkey.

It's open source, written in Autohotkey v2.
The simple exe creates a sinlge .ini file to store the settings. The user could modify the settings by direct editing of the ini file.
You can call the GUI window with a keyboard shortcut (also configurable). There are 4 pre-defined date formats, which also configurable in the ini file.

Download and further details of usage and possible setting at it's github repository: https://github.com/bigbadplayer/DatePickerGO

Do someone has further ideas for different use-cases and development?

Midas

Re: DatePickerGO - Pop-up calendar app for quickly insert of dates

#2 Post by Midas »

Welcome to TPFC forums. Cool idea there, bigbadplayer. 8)

Ufortunately, I get an error on launching DatePickerGO in my Windows 10 (21H2):

The reason is simple to figure: there's no 'DatePickerGO.ico' in the program folder, only the program's executable.

It kind of works if I click "Continue", but then upon closing DatePickerGO the tray icons got mixed up, so I had to restart the Explorer shell...

lintalist

#3 Post by lintalist »

https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/v2/lib/FileInstall.htm the ico(n) file(s) :)

Lintalist has a Calendar plugin[1] https://lintalist.github.io/#calendar-plugin where you can also pass on the locale identifier (LCID) as well. You can find a list of Locale IDs assigned by Microsoft here msdn.microsoft.com/goglobal/bb964664.aspx as well as the "connecting word" between two dates e.g.
5 May to 10 May, or a dash 5 May - 10 May

Perhaps offer the user to build their own favourite "date formats", with three favourites being buttons as you already have and replace the 4th button with a dropdown list of other options - or add a 5th option being the dropdown list or menu.
Visually I would find it more pleasing if all the buttons all have the same width.

[1] Code https://github.com/lintalist/lintalist/ ... lendar.ahk

bigbadplayer

#4 Post by bigbadplayer »

Midas wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:36 am Ufortunately, I get an error on launching DatePickerGO in my Windows 10 (21H2):

The reason is simple to figure: there's no 'DatePickerGO.ico' in the program folder, only the program's executable.

It kind of works if I click "Continue", but then upon closing DatePickerGO the tray icons got mixed up, so I had to restart the Explorer shell...
Midas: Thank you for reporting this error. I've updated the source and released v1.0.1 "quick-fix" version. (This is the first compiled script what I did, and compiled it into the same folder of the source; did not notice the dependency. Sorry for that). Would you share your experience of usage?

lintalist: Thank you for the tip of FileInstall function. It did the job for the quick-fix :)
The user has the freedom to modify the first 3 date formats fully in the ini. The syntax is the same as AHK's: https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/v2/lib/ ... te_Formats Did you mean this for favorites?
When the user changes the formats in the ini file, the buttons' texts will change also (that is the reason I did'nt fixed the buttons' width: I don't know how the user will modify the formats).
It comes from my approach of usage: I prefer to use keyboard with minimal options on the pop-up calendar for simplicity and quick insertion.

GUI-based options would better, but it is for the future. First, I would like to enhance functions and stability. This whole thing started based on my usage habits. I guessed some 'universal' functions (like the configurable formats), but I would like to collect other users' ideas. For example: It would be useful, to add an option to copy date(s) to clipboard? Or only copy to clipboard, instead of direct insertion?

Thank you for the tip of LCID!

lintalist

#5 Post by lintalist »

You could add a checkbox so the user can pick

[ ] copy to clipboard only

or radio buttons

( ) copy to clipboard
( ) paste date directly

(With &letter you can keep using the keyboard for these checkbox/radio buttons)

bigbadplayer

#6 Post by bigbadplayer »

lintalist wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:25 pm You could add a checkbox so the user can pick
[ ] copy to clipboard only
(With &letter you can keep using the keyboard for these checkbox/radio buttons)
Thank you for the ideas and tips lintalist!
I've implemented the clipboard only option and the LCID feature also (just added an option to create a language reminder note on the button, as you can see it on the example). And the &Letter works brilliant!

The next stage may will be a proper GUI for options also.

Midas

#7 Post by Midas »

Topic update: DatePickerGO last release is v1.0.3 from 2023-08-03 (changes and downloads at https://github.com/bigbadplayer/DatePickerGO/releases).