Any other tech-related topics
Emka

Re: Looking for a simple way to sync notes between devices

#16 Post by Emka »

Oh, looking nice!

vevy

#17 Post by vevy »

You could try Microsoft OneNote. Also, take a look at todo.txt apps (with a file-syncing solution), which also works with plaintext notes accessed with a text editor on phone and Windows.

Emka

#18 Post by Emka »

Yeah, I use OneNote on my Surface Go for longer and more structured work-related notes, the Android App can sync with MS Sticky Notes, but you need too many steps to access that feature and jot down sth on Android.

I have already come across the todo.txt principle, but had difficulties finding an easy cross-platform solution.

Why I emphasize simplicity so much is because
1) sometimes I need to spontaneously capture a thought or quick conversation at work by just pulling the phone out of my pocket (and I would work on that thought later on my Surface at a desk or on the PC at home)
2) eventually I would like to share private-life notes and to-do stuff with my wife's devices, and she is not tech-savvy.

vevy

#19 Post by vevy »

Emka wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:34 am I have already come across the todo.txt principle, but had difficulties finding an easy cross-platform solution.
If your phone is Android, I can recommend Simpletask and Markor. Both apps have a quick capture mode (inbox).
... I emphasize simplicity so much...
... just pulling the phone out of my pocket (and I would work on that thought later on my Surface at a desk or on the PC at home)...
Unless you have sensitive information, go with plaintext. You can use any text editor with a side pane on Windows and any text editor app on your phone. You then sync notes as files. This is the least-friction solution I can think of and is future-proof. I can give app recommendations if you want to take this route.

Emka

#20 Post by Emka »

I tried ProtectedText.com, and it could be a good alternative. However the Android app lacks a homescreen widget, which I need to access and edit a note in just one action. First starting the app and then selecting a note to edit is one step more than I want.

As for Simpletask, Markor or other apps that rely on a third-party sync solution: I would have to look into WebDav sync, I don't know enough about that, but I know that using Dropbox and the likes could be an obstacle because Windows S mode on my work Surface (and my wife's work laptop without admin rights) is quite restrictive.

Pendrive

#21 Post by Pendrive »

DELETED
Last edited by Pendrive on Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Emka

#22 Post by Emka »

Thanks for the idea!

Since ProtectedText uses passwords, this again required another step in the workflow on Android even with the homescreen shortcut. I was then trying out https://nute.app, which works basically the same but without password, so it should be accessible more readily via the homescreen shortcut. However, the URL changes according to text you enter the note, so you cannot really access the same note easily from different devices. Which now leads me to an instance of EtherPad. I'll have to see if there is one particularly suitable or if they're all basically the same.

Pendrive

#23 Post by Pendrive »

DELETED
Last edited by Pendrive on Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emka

#24 Post by Emka »

Ah, OK, I've overread it, thanks.

Midas

#25 Post by Midas »

vevy wrote: Unless you have sensitive information, go with plaintext. You can use any text editor with a side pane on Windows and any text editor app on your phone. You then sync notes as files. This is the least-friction solution I can think of and is future-proof.
My take precisely. Just wondering if you've you tried Quillnote yet, Emka?

navigator7647

#26 Post by navigator7647 »

For text only and automated syncing, I use Standard Notes, because it is secure, fast, and lightweight. You can load in on a browser or download the app.

For everything else, I use FreeFileSync with a cloud service like Dropbox or Sync.com. I personally use KDrive as I trust them more. But it doesn't matter since I keep everything in a veracrypt container.

Emka

#27 Post by Emka »

Quillnote looks interesting, I might try it if it turns out I'm not happy with ProtectedText.com. It now seemed the easiest way to set up shared notes on my phone, my work laptop, my home desktop and my wife's work laptop. This way I can circumvent potential restrictions of S mode and the lack of admin rights. And I don't have to deal with a lot of resource-hogging and distracting features I don't need.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and patience!

AvaVolkov

#28 Post by AvaVolkov »

Microsoft OneNote: Although you noted that the Android app might not be as simple to use as you'd like, it's important to note that Microsoft OneNote is a potent note-taking programme that can sync notes without any problems between devices. To quickly take notes, you can add a widget to your Android home screen, and those notes will be synchronised in real time to your Surface Go 2.

webfork

#29 Post by webfork »

AvaVolkov wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:38 am Microsoft OneNote: Although you noted that the Android app might not be as simple to use as you'd like, it's important to note that Microsoft OneNote is a potent note-taking programme that can sync notes without any problems between devices. To quickly take notes, you can add a widget to your Android home screen, and those notes will be synchronised in real time to your Surface Go 2.
I'm fairly sure this is an AI poster. Sigh.