WhopSee Portable Audio CD Player

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
juverax

WhopSee Portable Audio CD Player

#1 Post by juverax »

WhopSee Portable Audio CD Player v.2.7

TPFC does not seem to have any Audio CD Player .... ;>{

Softpedia ( https://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE- ... pSee.shtml ): WhopSee is a lightweight portable freeware Audio CD Player.

WhopSee is a no-install and incredibly fast app (tested on Windows 10).
The size of the folder is 2Mb.
It is a very nice app!

WhopSee writes to the registry (half a dozen keys, some are written by Windows) despite Softpedia claims it is portability .....
Well, maybe "portability" should be considered a "best effort" ...

VirusTotal score: 1/67

Apparently the original web site no longer exists, and Softpedia and archive.org are the only repositories of WhopSee.
Last update according to the Softpedia page: May 3, 2014.

joby_toss

Re: WhopSee Portable Audio CD Player

#2 Post by joby_toss »

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

Other than VLC, Foobar2000 and XMPlay, you could also add fre:ac, too (https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=570) -- and probably most others under TPFC's misleadingly titled "CD/DVD - Rippers" category (https://www.portablefreeware.com/?sc=78)... 8)

BTW, interesting and somewhat related topics from around the forum:

juverax

#4 Post by juverax »

joby_toss, Midas, thank you for your help.
I wrote a detailed (technical) reply to your tips. It took me more than an hour ... and when I hit "Submit", I got the msg .... that I had to login again, and the msg was lost.
Sorry, I don't have time to write it again.
I should have composed the msg in notepad first.

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss »

Sorry to hear that! Funny thing, ever since same thing happened to me, I always hit "Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C" in the message area before submitting my reply.

Midas

#6 Post by Midas »

juverax wrote: I should have composed the msg in notepad first.

Dang! Been there, got stung as much... Ctrl+A ("Select All") & Ctrl+C ("Copy") have now become second nature before submitting long posts.

Oh, and a faithful clipboard manager that never forgets anything -- mine's ClipDiary, if you care to know.

juverax

#7 Post by juverax »

Thanks to joby_toss and Midas for your kind words.

Andrew Lee

#8 Post by Andrew Lee »

juverax wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:29 am joby_toss, Midas, thank you for your help.
I wrote a detailed (technical) reply to your tips. It took me more than an hour ... and when I hit "Submit", I got the msg .... that I had to login again, and the msg was lost.
Sorry, I don't have time to write it again.
I should have composed the msg in notepad first.
First off, juverax, I feel sorry for your loss!

I thought the auto draft phpBB extension would have prevented this from happening, but after testing, to my surprise, it didn't.

A little recap.. a phpBB extension was previously installed so that if you are editing a long post and the browser crashes, or you accidentally press the [Back] button etc., the extension will auto-save your draft every 20s and bring back your latest draft automatically when you go back to the same page.

This is what's known as a "quick draft", which is different from the built-in "draft" function of phpBB, in the sense that the quick draft saves to local HTML5 storage and does not talk to the server at all, so it is very quick and can be done very frequently on the browser without being disruptive to the user.

So to test, I created a new post, and before I hit [Submit], I clear the TPFC forum cookies. To my surprise, the draft was deleted from the local HTML5 storage when I was brought to the login page!!! After some probing around the code, I find that because the extension has no way of knowing if the [Submit] is a success, it assumes it is and so automatically deletes the draft as part of housekeeping when [Submit] is hit.

After more mucking around, what I did was to add a single modification to the code that performs a manual save right before submitting. Basically there is a flag in each save that indicates whether it's an autosave or triggered by the user. The housekeeping after submission deletes any autosaved draft, but keeps the latest copy of any manually saved draft.

The takeaway is this: should any of you hit the same problem again, when you go back to the edit page after logging in, you should be able to use [Load quick draft] to revert to your message right before submission.

Since all drafts are automatically removed after 1hr by the extension, I think this change should be alright in the sense that all manually saved draft will eventually be purged by the extension.

Midas

#9 Post by Midas »

Nice, thanks for covering for us, Andrew. 8)

On a related note, I noticed Firefox does a pretty good job of keeping what you enter into online text boxes, even after you (accidentally) navigate away from the page -- meaning, when you press backspace or click the back toolbar button, oftentimes the text will still be there...