Transmission (lightweight bittorrent client)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
smaragdus

Re: Transmission-Qt - bittorrent client

#31 Post by smaragdus »

@Midas
Midas wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:48 am @smaragdus: since you appear to be knowledgeable about this, could you clarify which is the last PAF version/package based on the unofficial Transmission-Qt?
I am 100% sure about TransmissionPortable_2.84.4.paf.exe and 99.99% sure about TransmissionPortable_2.84.9.paf.exe, any version prior to TransmissionPortable_2.92.paf.exe should be based on the unofficial Transmission-Qt.
Anyway, I have lost interest in Transmission.

Midas

#32 Post by Midas »

Thanks. For comparison purposes, I wanted to keep one of those and I didn't think of saving it previously. Duh.

I get why you feel discouraged by Transmission, with its glacial pace of development and questionable options every now and then (e.g., https://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtopic.php?t=18965).

But it is still the killer lowest resource peer2peer client and it comes as the default in some hardware such as NAS boxes and routers, so it's good to keep tabs on it -- the site "About" page makes a good case on this.

By browsing the latest PAF version, I noticed two things:
1) the Windows version is still Qt based, which may or may not explain why the previous dev quit so intempestively (lack of attribution/recognition?);
2) apparently the command line parameter for making it portable has (silently?) changed from "-g" to "--config-dir".

Anyone has noticed further changes? Or any documentation source for that matter? :?

smaragdus

Re: Transmission

#33 Post by smaragdus »

@Midas

I am not open-source maniac and purist- I prefer a closed source torrent client that is regularly updated, works well and has a native portable version (Tixati) than an open source one which is developed at a snail's pace and doesn't have a native portable version (Transmission). I stopped testing Transmission after the unofficial Transmission-Qt was discontinued so I cannot have opinion about new official Windows releases of Transmission, yet I remember to have read in the forum complaints about bugs and problems. Do you mean that Transmission is lighter than Halite (another simplistic and also very slowly developed, if not abandoned torrent client which also has issues)? I preferred Deluge (also very slowly developed- it may be heavier but is robust in my opinion) to Transmission and still keep a copy of it. PicoTorrent is light but not yet stable. I do not have time to make comparative tests of torrent clients, nowadays I mainly use 3 clients- an ancient version of µTorrentt (1.7.7 Build 8179) which in unmatched in terms of resource usage, qBittorrent and Tixati. I prefer Tixati over qBittorrent but for some idiotic reasons it is banned on some private trackers.

Do you mean that Transmission has command line parameters for portable mode? Will you share a link to these parameters? I didn't find anything at Transmission Wiki.

I have one more reason to be reluctant of testing Transmission again, I remember that it stole associations without asking (Transmission-Qt).

I think that thread title should be changed from Transmission-Qt to Transmission- Transmission-Qt is gone for good, Transmission now officially supports Windows.

JohnTHaller

#34 Post by JohnTHaller »

Transmission has a command line option called --config-dir built in that allows you to direct the app to look in a specific directory for its configuration. I'm unsure if Transmission permits relative paths within its settings.json file, however, which would be required for a 'native' portablization. It leaves behind multiple registry keys including FileDialog history for Qt which could contain details on opened torrents. Transmission Portable utillizes the --config-dir switch to help it become portable. It also adjusts paths within the settings.json as you move around. And it cleans up the Qt registry entries.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

Midas

#35 Post by Midas »

smaragdus wrote: I am not open-source maniac and purist- I prefer a closed source torrent client that is regularly updated, works well and has a native portable version (Tixati) than an open source one which is developed at a snail's pace and doesn't have a native portable version (Transmission). I stopped testing Transmission after the unofficial Transmission-Qt was discontinued so I cannot have opinion about new official Windows releases of Transmission, yet I remember to have read in the forum complaints about bugs and problems.
Neither am I... but before we go on, let's recall where we stopped the last time we debated this, alright? (viewtopic.php?t=21508) :wink:

I'm not a fan of development for development's sake either, which usually just turns perfect suitable programs into software monstrosities -- anyone remembers Paint Shop Pro? I used to be really adept at using it in ancient (freeware) times, but then it went haywire to the point of becoming unrecognizable (and unusable, at least by me)... :(

What I am definitely a fan is of the Linux motto of "do one thing and do it well"... But I understand your reasons -- I really do. After all I live by the mantra "my computer, my rules".

Still, remember that not every piece of kit runs Windows (e.g., http://dns323.kood.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2719) and that even some of those who do can be "headless" (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/i ... ystem.html).

smaragdus wrote: Do you mean that Transmission is lighter than Halite (another simplistic and also very slowly developed, if not abandoned torrent client which also has issues)?
I'm both an ultra-light Torrent user and a big fan of Halite, which in fact I keep at all times. As for Tixati, I never could get it to barely work, much less wrap my head around its utterly alien UI.

smaragdus wrote: I preferred Deluge (also very slowly developed- it may be heavier but is robust in my opinion) to Transmission and still keep a copy of it. PicoTorrent is light but not yet stable. I do not have time to make comparative tests of torrent clients, nowadays I mainly use 3 clients- an ancient version of µTorrentt (1.7.7 Build 8179) which in unmatched in terms of resource usage, qBittorrent and Tixati. I prefer Tixati over qBittorrent but for some idiotic reasons it is banned on some private trackers.

I have one more reason to be reluctant of testing Transmission again, I remember that it stole associations without asking (Transmission-Qt).
Thanks for the input, your appraisal is valued. 8)

smaragdus wrote: Do you mean that Transmission has command line parameters for portable mode? Will you share a link to these parameters? I didn't find anything at Transmission Wiki.
JohnTHaller wrote: Transmission Portable utillizes the --config-dir switch to help it become portable. It also adjusts paths within the settings.json as you move around. And it cleans up the Qt registry entries.
Please see OP, where I detailed my findings...

smaragdus wrote: I think that thread title should be changed from Transmission-Qt to Transmission- Transmission-Qt is gone for good, Transmission now officially supports Windows.
As I stated in my previous post, the official Windows version is still very much based in the Qt framework.

smaragdus

#36 Post by smaragdus »

@JohnTHaller

Thanks.

@Midas

Halite & Tixati
For me Halite is very unpolished, just maximize the window and you will see what I mean. About Tixati- I don't find anything alien about it (some time ago I switched from light background to default dark background):

I do not think that any torrent client should look like uTorrent or Transmission. In terms of resources usage Tixati uses about the same memory as qBittorrent but in terms of customization in my opinion it can only be compared to bloated and heavy Azureus/Vuze/BiglyBT. Just look at properties:

and at settings:

For me Tixati is a masterpiece. The only annoyance is that it rarely (once in about month and a half) shows a donation pop-up.

Transmission
As I stated in my previous post, the official Windows version is still very much based in the Qt framework.
I disagree:
There are several transmission clients for different operating systems including Unix-like, macOS and BeOS/ZETA. Each operating system front-end is built using native widget toolkits.[7] For example, transmission-gtk uses the GTK+ interface, transmission-qt the Qt interface, and transmission-cli a Command-line interface. Transmission-remote-cli is an ncurses interface for the transmission-daemon. Python-transmissionrpc is a Python module implementing the JSON-RPC client protocol for Transmission
On Windows, Transmission-Qt can be built with MinGW,[23] the daemon and console tools can be built with Cygwin,[24] also there are two third-party GUIs: transmission-remote-dotnet[25] and Transmission Remote GUI,[26] as well as unofficial full builds of Transmission's Qt Client.,[27][28] There is also an unofficial full build of Transmission daemon which can be run as a Windows service.[29] This same unofficial full build of Transmission daemon running as a Windows service can be used for direct streaming of the downloading file(s).[30]
(Source - Wikipedia)

The developer of the unofficial and discontinued fork called it Transmission-Qt just to differentiate it from the official Transmission which at the times of Transmission-Qt development didn't offer a stable windows version. Now Transmission-Qt is gone and even it in the "About" it showed just Transmission, screen:

In short- now there is only one official Transmission client which is called Transmission and it uses different frameworks for different OS. Unofficial fork Transmission-Qt is long gone. Since now Transmission has official Windows version it is misleading to call it Transmission-Qt, it is just Transmission, screen:

There are two other nuisances besides the lack of official portable version for Windows that make Transmission repellent to me- the Windows Installer and the poor usage of GitHub for releases- I ascribe it to negligence rather than to ignorance.

Midas

Re: Transmission (lightweight bittorrent client)

#37 Post by Midas »

Topic update: upstream Transmission v3.00 released (changelog at https://github.com/transmission/transmission/releases/).

Midas

Re: Transmission (lightweight bittorrent client)

#38 Post by Midas »

Upstream Transmission (i.e., not the PortableApps.com version present in TPFC database) v4.00 released (changes and downloads at https://github.com/transmission/transmission/releases/).

:arrow: Apparently the project has been revamped to enhance "Resource Efficiency", provide "Better Community", introduce "Code Modernization", and a slew of "New Features"...