ScreenToGif - screen recording and edition

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Specular

Re: ScreenToGif

#46 Post by Specular »

smaragdus wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:22 pm A commercial company- Apowersoft, is trying to sell ScreenToGif as a commercial product- Apowersoft GIF, see this issue at GitHub. This is outrageous.
Based on this recent PFDB thread and also looking at ScreenToGif's license the selling of the program is actually allowed by the license but it requires including the license and copyright notice along with it.

It's a controversial aspect to this since it doesn't usually come up in discussions and something I hadn't put much thought into prior to that topic (mostly since commercial programs based on open source projects I'd seen before typically add something of value to it and aren't trying to hide what it's based upon, whereas I don't usually see essentially identical copies being sold sans attribution).

webfork

Re: ScreenToGif

#47 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:22 pm A commercial company- Apowersoft, is trying to sell ScreenToGif as a commercial product- Apowersoft GIF, see this issue at GitHub. This is outrageous.
Thanks for posting about this.
Specular wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:57 pm Based on this recent PFDB thread and also looking at ScreenToGif's license the selling of the program is actually allowed by the license but it requires including the license and copyright notice along with it.
The thread Smaragdus posted covers some of the license issues, but you are right that the MS-Pl license that governs ScreenToGif does not prohibit commercial distribution, and in fact most open source licenses avoid this requiring either sharing code, attribution, or other requirement. That said, even if they did comply with the license requirements, there is what is legally permissible and what is ethical. Apowersoft rebranding open source work is at best completely unprincipled.

I've been doing this a long time and I've never seen a standard commercial software entity do one of these cut-and-paste jobs. I'm livid. I've discussed their software here on the site before but will be sure to add a unfriendly disclaimer. Where their name comes up in the future on anything, I'll try to keep reminding folks. It's not much, but sometimes people fear bad PR more than anything else.

vmars316

ScreenToGif How to playback at the same speed as the original (.mp4) recording?

#48 Post by vmars316 »

Hello & Thanks;

Thanks for your ScreenToGif program .

I only have one problem ;

How can I make ScreenToGif to playback at the same speed
as the original (.mp4) recording .

Right now it plays back at an extremely slow rate .

Thanks for your help!

webfork

Re: ScreenToGif - screen recording and edition

#49 Post by webfork »

You should be able to select all frames (CTRL+A) and choose Scale from the Edit tab. From there you can raise or lower the overall speed gradually (I'd probably start with 110 or 90% and go up and down until you get to the speed you want. This is just delay between frames so there's no decline in quality.

On a related note, while I'm not sure how you ended up with a recording that was a different speed than the original, you might post something to the ScreenToGif github page with links to the files. The author is very responsive might be able to modify the decoder. This could be a bug.

Nickesm

#50 Post by Nickesm »

Hi, I'm the developer.

It depends of what you mean.
Is the recorder capturing the screen not able to capture fast enough, is the preview slow or is the exported gif/video slow?

Recorder not capturing fast enough:
Try putting tweaking the FPS.
Try enabling asynchronous recording (Options > Application).
If you want to, you can try the preview of the next version of the app has some new options for the recorder. It should be faster.

If you are talking about the previewer being slow:
The previewer is slow, I still have to deal with that issue. It's the next thing that I want to fix.

If the exported gif is slower:
Gifs can only have delays between frames in the order of 10ms. So if a frame was captured with the delay of 26ms, it will be rounded to 30ms.
As webfork noted, you can manually fiddle with the frame delays in order to solve this.
You can also try to export using FFmpeg or Gifski.

webfork

#51 Post by webfork »

I'm happy to report that Screentogif now has a tool that follows your cursor so you can have very small window recordings that can show quite a bit in terms of software steps in a small recording window. I expect to use it here on the site a fair amount in the coming year.

Example:

You can enable this setting here:

One caveat: make sure you know the key combination enable/disable mouse following. It's a lot easier.

webfork

#52 Post by webfork »

Auto-pause - one thing I always try to find in screen recorders is the ability to only records when something's happening. ScreenToGif happily includes a function to pause recordings when nothing's happening on screen. This is useful if you get distracted or need to check your notes about what to record. Just stop moving and it stops recording. One caveat: relies on / requires DirectX.

https://github.com/NickeManarin/ScreenToGif/issues/565

Ultra7ven

#53 Post by Ultra7ven »

version 2.35.3 released. It now requires .NET 6.0.1

https://github.com/NickeManarin/ScreenToGif/releases

freakazoid

#54 Post by freakazoid »

I've updated the portable instructions for ScreenToGif. Creating an empty Settings.xaml file was not enough. You have to set at least one setting in the file so the file will update upon closing the app. In the instructions, I chose to change the [Options - Storage - Paths - Cache] option to the same directory as the app.
is it stealth? ;)