ACDSee Free - graphics viewer (adware)

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
webfork

ACDSee Free - graphics viewer (adware)

#1 Post by webfork »

ACDSee Free - after a lot of years making a commercial-only image viewer, the company put out a free viewer. Unfortunately it's powered by ads and much of the program is hidden underneath a required login screen. That was a lot more effort than I wanted to put into it. As a result, you're probably better off with just about any other viewer program here on the site.

Downloading from the website, you'll get a very small web downloader program but the downloader grabs a 306 meg file.

https://www.acdsee.com/en/products/acdsee-free/

nickoftime

Re: ACDSee Free - graphics viewer (adware)

#2 Post by nickoftime »

Hey Webfork - thanks for the info.

ACDSee was all the rage in the mid 1990s. I used it for image viewing, after downloading them from the various Usenet groups. Now, it's really nothing more than a distant memory, given that there's much better options available. I use FastStone Image Viewer https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=207 and it does the job quite well - and it's fully portable.

It's sad that the free version is adware. I'll just remember ACDSee's glory days and just leave it at that :D

webfork

Re: ACDSee Free - graphics viewer (adware)

#3 Post by webfork »

nickoftime wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:41 pm It's sad that the free version is adware. I'll just remember ACDSee's glory days and just leave it at that :D
Yeah you might be able to read between the lines a bit in my first post to hear my disappointment as well. That they finally come back to consider a free version again after all this time and then I get this? Also, it's not as if it hasn't been getting praise over the years for their commercial offering, so no concerns that they *couldn't* put out something great.