Portable Skype (AKA sPortable)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
JohnTHaller

Re: Portable Skype (AKA sPortable)

#121 Post by JohnTHaller »

freakazoid wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:00 pm Going to post this here since I do not have an account over at portableapps.com. Hopefully @JohnTHaller sees it.

sPortable 8.90.0.405 cannot be installed. I'm getting the following when running sPortable_8.90.0.405_online.paf.exe:
The publisher pulled it. We reverted to the previous version.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

freakazoid

#122 Post by freakazoid »

JohnTHaller wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:56 pm
freakazoid wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:00 pm Going to post this here since I do not have an account over at portableapps.com. Hopefully @JohnTHaller sees it.

sPortable 8.90.0.405 cannot be installed. I'm getting the following when running sPortable_8.90.0.405_online.paf.exe:
The publisher pulled it. We reverted to the previous version.
Thanks John. That worked after I wiped out my Data folder. Is it possible to prevent Skype from downloading the latest Skype-Setup.exe file to Data\SkypeData? This causes most of the issues for me as it asks to update Skype on next launch similar to webfork's screenshot a few posts up: viewtopic.php?p=88325#p88325
is it stealth? ;)

JohnTHaller

#123 Post by JohnTHaller »

freakazoid wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:15 am Thanks John. That worked after I wiped out my Data folder. Is it possible to prevent Skype from downloading the latest Skype-Setup.exe file to Data\SkypeData? This causes most of the issues for me as it asks to update Skype on next launch similar to webfork's screenshot a few posts up: viewtopic.php?p=88325#p88325
It's only possible at the system level with admin rights. So, no.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

Midas

#124 Post by Midas »

freakazoid wrote: Is it possible to prevent Skype from downloading the latest Skype-Setup.exe file to Data\SkypeData?

Have you tried placing a dummy 'Skype-Setup.exe' file there with read-only and system attributes set? :idea:

JohnTHaller

#125 Post by JohnTHaller »

Midas wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:43 pm Have you tried placing a dummy 'Skype-Setup.exe' file there with read-only and system attributes set? :idea:
Good thought, though it didn't work. But it gave the a similar idea. Create a directory called Skype-Setup.exe within Data\SkypeData. This prevents it from downloading it. I've added code for this to the next release.

freakazoid

#126 Post by freakazoid »

JohnTHaller wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:59 pm
Midas wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:43 pm Have you tried placing a dummy 'Skype-Setup.exe' file there with read-only and system attributes set? :idea:
Good thought, though it didn't work. But it gave the a similar idea. Create a directory called Skype-Setup.exe within Data\SkypeData. This prevents it from downloading it. I've added code for this to the next release.
Sweet! Thanks for the input, Midas, and to John for implementing the fix.
is it stealth? ;)

Midas

#127 Post by Midas »

Nice. 8)

freakazoid

#128 Post by freakazoid »

A new version of Skype is out (v8.90.0.407), so Skype was asking to update again on launch.

This gave me an opportunity to try the Data\SkypeData\Skype-Setup.exe\ directory workaround that John mentioned (with an assist from Midas!). After I purged my Data\ folder and logged into Skype again, Skype no longer auto-downloads the Skype-Setup.exe file.

Perfect! :mrgreen:
is it stealth? ;)

JohnTHaller

#129 Post by JohnTHaller »

JohnTHaller wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:59 pm Good thought, though it didn't work. But it gave the a similar idea. Create a directory called Skype-Setup.exe within Data\SkypeData. This prevents it from downloading it. I've added code for this to the next release.
This is now incorporated into sPortable with today's 8.90.0.407 release. It will be handled for existing installs when upgrading as well.

freakazoid

#130 Post by freakazoid »

Code: Select all

Output folder: c:\apps\sPortable
Preparing to upgrade sPortable...
Create folder: C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\nsyC8AE.tmp\Downloaded
Downloading Skype...
Installing sPortable...
Rename: C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\nsyC8AE.tmp\Downloaded\Skype->C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\nsyC8AE.tmp\Downloaded\Skype-Setup.exe
Create folder: C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\nsyC8AE.tmp\Downloaded
Downloading Skype...
Installing sPortable...
Rename: C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\nsyC8AE.tmp\Downloaded\Skype->C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\nsyC8AE.tmp\Downloaded\Skype-Setup.exe
Delete file: C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\nsyC8AE.tmp\Downloaded\Skype-Setup.exe
The downloaded copy of Skype is not valid and can not be installed. Please try installing again.
Tried running sPortable_8.90.0.405_online.paf.exe a few times with the same result.
Ran into the same problem again. Latest version of sPortable (8.109.0.209) fails to install. Next I tried to install the last few versions of sPortable down to 8.106.0.212 and am still getting the same problem. Hopefully JTH sees this.
is it stealth? ;)

JohnTHaller

#131 Post by JohnTHaller »

freakazoid wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:45 pm

Tried running sPortable_8.90.0.405_online.paf.exe a few times with the same result.
Ran into the same problem again. Latest version of sPortable (8.109.0.209) fails to install. Next I tried to install the last few versions of sPortable down to 8.106.0.212 and am still getting the same problem. Hopefully JTH sees this.
That just means a new version was released by the publisher. You can let us know in the Outdated Apps thread on PortableApps.com. It's been updated. The old versions will never install as the publisher pulls old releases.

freakazoid

#132 Post by freakazoid »

JohnTHaller wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:40 am
freakazoid wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:45 pm

That just means a new version was released by the publisher. You can let us know in the Outdated Apps thread on PortableApps.com. It's been updated. The old versions will never install as the publisher pulls old releases.
Thanks John for the quick response. Can confirm that the latest version works. I'll look into creating a PA.com account later if I come across similar problems again.
is it stealth? ;)