Jarte - word processor

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Jarte Guy

#16 Post by Jarte Guy »

Thanks for mentioning Jarte, SpaceFrog99!

Andrew:
If Jarte finds itself running from the Windows drive, or from a network drive, then it expects to find its settings folder under the user's Application Data folder per Microsoft's guidelines. This is done because keeping the settings under the app folder is problematic on many machines, especially machines running Win Vista.

However, if Jarte finds itself running from a non-Windows drive then it expects to find its settings folder under the Jarte app folder (it will create the folder if it is not already present). In this situation Jarte will run as a properly behaved portable app. I hope that answers your question.

Cornflower:
As you mentioned, Jarte can be copied to a USB drive using the program's "Install to USB Drive" feature. The advantage of that method is it will optionally copy your existing Jarte settings to the USB drive as well.

However, for first time Jarte users, the best way to install Jarte to a USB drive is to download the Jarte zip file, instead of the normal Jarte install file. The zip file is on the download page at the Jarte web site (or use SpaceFrog99's link). There is also a U3 install file for those who use U3 USB drives.

Tip: Jarte's footprint is reasonably small, but if you want to reduce it further you can delete any spelling dictionary files you don't need:
SSCEAM - American English
SSCEBR - British English
SSCECA - Canadian English
SSCEDU - Dutch
SSCEFR - French
SSCEGE - German
SSCESP - Spanish

Everyone:
I hope you will find the Jarte word processor to be a useful addition to your portable app collection. I will be glad to try and answer any questions you may have.

Bob Flora (author of Jarte)

bryce dayton

Also, if you want to make it smaller

#17 Post by bryce dayton »

You can always use the UPX Tool. It shrunk it 66% on my flash drive, with little or no slowdown.

Myles

#18 Post by Myles »

This program is 10/10. Used it for several months now and very happy with it.

I've tested it with opening word documents that are over 1000 pages in length, and it does it very quickly. Had no problems in it saving Word documents, and later opening the documents back in Word.

* Best feature I've found is the ability to strip a document of all its formatting by clicking on the 'document format' tab in the status bar, and selecting 'plain format'. Great when editing documents that are to be later transferred into InDesign etc.

* You can also dump plain text into a document, without any formatting, when you are pasting text by right clicking and selecting 'paste plain'.

* Spell checker also picks up multiple instances of the one word.

* Those that want a typing program without distractions, you can change the background to black, text to bright green, and select minimal layout.

* Opens all your last open documents in tabs.

* Has a 'clip list' which displays all your cut and paste histroy, incase you need to get back that paragraph you previously cut.

* I like the default zoom setting feature, so documents are opened in larger or smaller text and the feature in the status bar when you can either wrap your document to the page, or wrap it to a smaller/larger resized window.

Best setup for me: is selecting 'minimal layout' in the view menu, and selecting to show the 'status bar' and the 'tabs'.

Great program. Thank you. :D

Andrew Lee

#19 Post by Andrew Lee »

Andrew: If Jarte finds itself running from the Windows drive, or from a network drive, then it expects to find its settings folder under the user's Application Data folder per Microsoft's guidelines. This is done because keeping the settings under the app folder is problematic on many machines, especially machines running Win Vista.
@Jarte Guy: Correct me if I am wrong, but this does not appear to be restricted to "C:\Program Files" (assuming Windows is installed on C:). So even if I create my own folder eg. c:\apps\jarte and run Jarte from there, app settings are still written to the user profile folder. Anyway to change that?

Jarte Guy

#20 Post by Jarte Guy »

Andrew:
That is correct, Jarte always locates its data folder according to the Windows guidelines if it finds itself running on the Windows drive. If the Jarte program folder contains file Portable.ini, and the file contains entry "Portable=0", then Jarte will follow the Windows guidelines regardless of what drive it finds itself on. However, an entry of "Portable=1" has no effect because I had concerns about people setting that value in situations where it would not work (e.g., Jarte installed under Program Files in Windows Vista). I will reconsider that decision for Jarte 3.1 and possibly allow "Portable=1" to force Jarte into portable mode even if it is on the Windows drive.

Andrew Lee

#21 Post by Andrew Lee »

I will reconsider that decision for Jarte 3.1 and possibly allow "Portable=1" to force Jarte into portable mode even if it is on the Windows drive.
Please do! I will add it to the database if I find that option to be working. Thanks!

alxgudo

#22 Post by alxgudo »

hi all
2Jarte Guy

Bob, where can i find russian spelling dictionari?
and what dll libraries are needed Jarte for editing docx files?
thanks in advance!

Jarte Guy

#23 Post by Jarte Guy »

Andrew:
Fair enough. I'll try to remember to post back to this thread when Jarte 3.1 becomes available. I hoped to have it ready by the end of this month, but it's starting to look like it might slip a little.

Alxgudo:
Unfortunately, there is no Russian spell check dictionary available for Jarte. :-(

Jarte uses Word converter DLL Wordcnvpxy.cnv to open DOCX files. However, the DOCX converter requires other files as well, so you need to install Microsoft's free Office Compatibility Pack to open DOCX files. More about is at:

http://www.jarte.com/office_compatibility_pack.html

More work is required to enable Jarte to create or save modifications to DOCX files. I expect that to be available in a later Jarte release.

Ennovy

Jarte 3.1

#24 Post by Ennovy »

Version 3.1 released :wink:

http://www.jarte.com/whats_new.html

If started from drive where Windows is installed, settings are still saved in user profile folder. :cry:

Jarte Guy

#25 Post by Jarte Guy »

Ennovy:
Yes, Jarte still runs in normal mode (i.e., non-portable) by default if it sees it is being run from the Windows drive, otherwise it will automatically run n portable mode. However, in version 3.1 you can now force Jarte to run in either mode regardless of what drive it is running from. See the bottom of Jarte Help page http://www.jarte.com/help_new/jarte_as_ ... proce.html for more details.

Andrew:
I hope you'll give Jarte 3.1 a spin and consider it for inclusion in your database. If you have any questions let me know.

Ennovy

#26 Post by Ennovy »

2Jarte Guy

Thanks for the explanation :wink:

2Andrew
I said it before and I repeat : this software belongs in the TPFC database, it's great :!: :!:

Ennovy

Jarte 3.2

#27 Post by Ennovy »

Update for this great software fixing some bugs

What's new: http://www.jarte.com/whats_new.html

Portable version download: http://www.jarte.com/downloads/jarte_32.zip

Have a nice day :wink:

steve0

#28 Post by steve0 »

Aha , it's great!

Jarte Guy

Jarte v3.4

#29 Post by Jarte Guy »

Version 3.4 of the Jarte word processor has been released.

Download: http://www.jarte.com/download.html

What's New: http://www.jarte.com/whats_new.html

Checker

Re: Jarte v3.4

#30 Post by Checker »

See my posting :wink:
... but thanks.