Old topic update: Dokuwiki on a Stick
still available and developed; current stable release is 2016-06-26a "Elenor of Tsort
" (changelog at https://www.dokuwiki.org/changes
is a simple to use and highly versatile Open Source wiki software that doesn't require a database. It is loved by users for its clean and readable syntax. The ease of maintenance, backup and integration makes it an administrator's favorite.
Steps to get a fully portable local wiki running in no time:
- go to download.dokuwiki.org/
- Select "Stable
" under "Version
- Select "MicroApache
" under "Include Web-Server
" (currently composed of Apache
- Click "Toogle all
" button under "Languages
", then select any individual additional language you may want apart form English;
- You may also select any plugin proposed under "Popular Plugins
" (not recommended);
- Scroll to the bottom and click "Start download
- Extract the downloaded archive anywhere and double click the 'run.cmd
' file inside the 'DokuWikiStick
- A command console window will open, a Windows firewall prompt will eventually display and Dokuwiki
's setup page will open in system the default browser;
- Fill the elements in the setup form (mainly the administrator user name and password) and you're ready to start editing your own Wiki.
To finish, first close Dokuwiki
's page in the browser, then the console window ("Press any key to continue...
") and you're ready to move to the next computer.
The initial storage cost of Dokuwiki on a Stick
is a little less than 17MB when first deployed.
EDIT: for further info on DokuWiki
portability, see the post authored by Zim Desktop Wiki
Windows maintainer at www.glump.net/howto/desktop/setup-a-portable-dokuwiki-instance-in-windows