Notice to all

Discuss anything related to command line tools here.
vevy

Notice to all

#1 Post by vevy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:35 am

Notice to all

I tried to do my best to get this project moving forward. I contacted Andrew in public and private to convince him to let me test my idea of a proper CLI database. I tried to cut my requests to the very basic I can do with. I can't seem to get him to let me even try. Not with polls, or talking or anything.

I am thankful for the support a lot of you have shown me in public and in private. This helped my get through a lot of work collecting tools and aggregating sites that were almost lost. But it isn't enough to convince Andrew to spend a few minutes on the idea.

He doesn't see enough support for my idea that pushes him to do the implementation.

This is Andrew's site. That means he sets the rules, and he gets the final say. As things currently stand, there is only so much that I can do.
Help make the comprehensive CLI database happen:
                    Vote for filters/badges!

webfork

Re: Notice to all

#2 Post by webfork » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:52 am

Hey thanks for all the work you've done on here -- I'm sorry it didn't go the way you're looking for. As I've said many times, this was a success at least in changing the way I approach my work and I'm *much* more available to both CLI tools and platforms. Really appreciate you facilitating that change.

Also, I recognize you want to close the door on this project, but I hope you still feel welcome to continue posting about great tools, functions, and tweaks here on the site that you use and love. I also hope the fact that the CLI project didn't flourish won't diminish your interest and involvement here or elsewhere in the broader software community.

---

For those coming across this post and wondering what happened, this was the Initial (and primary) thread that both started and followed the creation and expansion of the CLI database. While the first post has been edited several times to track the CLI project, but the rest of the discussion is still mostly intact. Several other threads cover filters, use cases, and Andrew's suggestions around an alternative approach.
Last edited by webfork on Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (used two "door" euphamisms in one post)

webfork

#3 Post by webfork » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:08 am

An additional note here: despite what might have been an end-of-year slowdown on the project, I remain very proud of both Andrew and other site regulars who chimed in about the CLI database effort, which is by no means dead. Site membership gave loads of ideas, feedback, and input throughout the process. A non-exaustive list of people who participated over many months include: SYSTEM, TP109, Specular, Midas, thepiney, billon, and lintalist. And there's no question in my mind that Andrew's time and effort, as well as availability to the new database in the first place is why we've come this far.

All this built upon a lot of already-present CLI software discussions in these forums. I even found a note where Ennovy even suggested we just add CLI programs to the regular database back in 2008.

While I expect activity around the topic will slow with vevy's departure and I know visitors have a lot less disposable time than they may have had last year, we do still welcome involvement and hope we can put something together in the year ahead.
Last edited by webfork on Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit: mixed up thepiney and Ennovy

thepiney

#4 Post by thepiney » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:32 pm

Thanks, but I think it was Ennovy that made that suggestion.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:18 am

thepiney wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:32 pm
Thanks, but I think it was Ennovy that made that suggestion.
Got it -- updated post