WMP Sync Partnership

Discuss hardware related to portable usage, including the kind of storage devices people use, and how they use them.
MiDoJo

WMP Sync Partnership

#1 Post by MiDoJo »

Okay Here's the situation: When you plug your Memory Stick/Flash Drive/SD-Card etc into a windows computer and Windows Medica Player is running I grabs the device and asks you to set up a sync partnership.

I don't want x drive to sync with wmp. For years I've just canceled it out but I think it might be stopping the proper ejection of a drive
"the following Device Cannot be remove Because it is in Use" warning appears.

I'm testing a program for TPFC member Queue EjectUSB and I think that this Windows Media Player thing maybe what's causing this.

Here's my question; one that has been asked for many moons allover the internet (Since at least wmp 10beta) but never (@least by my lurking) been solved:
How does one tell WMP to ignore a drive??
Here's a picture of the Sync Setup (Vista SP1)
Notice You cannot uncheck enabled. I've run into this with XP as well (though I don't remember what it looks like).

ashghost

#2 Post by ashghost »

I finally found what seems to be an acceptable answer to this problem for me (though I haven't tested it for very long, so I don't know if it'll cause any problems with other device functions).

Unfortunately, it requires administrator rights to disable a couple of services (specifically, UPnP Device Host and SSDP Device Discovery), so I don't know if it'll help you out, MiDoJo, and I'm sure it won't help EjectUSB.

ashghost

#3 Post by ashghost »

Just in case anyone stumbles across the above, an update:

After 6 months with the above preventing wmplayer.exe from tying up my thumb drives and CPU, it started again. :evil:

I looked back at my services to check that the SSDP Device Discovery and UPnP Device Host were still disabled, and looked for more possible culprits. I found 2 more services to disable: Portable Device Enumerator Service, and Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service.

Everything seems to be working fine. :) It's odd, though - wmplayer.exe still runs briefly when I connect my mp3 player (a Sansa Clip), and runs (and continues running) when I plug in my Windows Mobile phone, but when I plug in my flash drive(s), it doesn't. The phone syncs just fine with Windows Mobile Device Center, and JRiver Media Jukebox still manages the mp3 player properly.